What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I am in need of motivation....

FredMagare

Well Known Member
I have just spent six hours bending and flaring tube for fuselage plumbing. While I got it done, I am seeing very little progress. I have been working this project for TEN YEARS now (off and on)! As I move forward with one task, I'm struck with the realization that I cannot complete it until I finish another task first. (There's ALWAYS something else.) I feel as if I'm in over my head right now and not sure if I should continue putting money into this project.

Is this really worth the hassle and expenditure? How have builders gotten over this hump?

Fred hang in there! Yes it is worth it. You surely have noticed that there's intense periods of frustration, and there's that overwhelming sense of joy and victory when even the smallest of tasks get completed!

My current RV-7 project is my third homebuilt and by far the most frustrating as so many parts just don't fit. But I know in the end I'm gonna have one sweet airplane!

If it makes you feel better, I got so frustrated with my fuel tanks that I stepped away from the project for 10 months. Then, after attending a Young Eagle's event with a lot of RV's present, I found some motivation, went home, and got to work on the tanks. Honestly, once they were done and leak free, I thought "well that wasn't so bad" and felt total victory over the tanks.

Keep at it man-it's all worth it!!

Hey Gunny,
I am about where you are; just installed the HS. I know what you mean about spending a lot of time and seeing little progress. I have thought many times if I should stop building but I can't seem to give in. I just concentrate on the task at hand and don't look too far ahead. I am sure it will be worth it!

Just $.02 from a retired MSG.:D

It took me ten years. I had developed the feeling that I would never finish - never could see the light at the end of the tunnel. But I kept going. One task at a time. I got frustrated many times and took several lengthy breaks. One so bad I got married and had a child!

There were two occasions where someone who saw I was not making progress due to inactivity told me that if I wanted to sell my project, let them know. The second time I heard this, it lit a fire under my tail.

My dad always taught me to finish what you started. And this always helped me perservere.

10,000 little tasks.

One day, a fellow RV'er (extraordinaire) dropped by my hangar and walked around my project and said, "You can be flying in a month." And proceeded to state his case.

He wasn't far off!

Every time I am airborne in my 9A, I look all around the horizon and at each wing, and the groundspeed, and grin.

Last edited:
Keep at it!

It is OK to get frustrated and to spend time away from the project. One thing at a time and there are times when it seems like you need to have everything done to move on. My longest periods of not building were due to family commitments, work travel and lack of funds to continue. It is all worth it once you fire up that engine the first time, make your first flight, and post-phase 1 flying. I got to take my daughter up today for her first flight in the airplane. Two weeks ago we flew out to visit her in Colorado, now she is home for Thanksgiving and finally got airborne.
IMG_0610-M.jpg

Getting my family into the general aviation thing has been a large part of my motivation.

Only 6 hours for the fuel lines!?? I think it took me 6 weeks!

I'm 12 years in to mine, and just now have power.

IMG_1643.JPG

I feel a bit more motivated when certain milestones are reached.

This was my daughter's reaction the first time I closed the canopy on her...

You should have heard her squeal with delight the first time we did a roll...

I know life sometimes gets in the way but when you can, try and do a little bit each day, even if it's only 15 minutes. What I found was that if I was away from it for more than a few days, I found that I was spending most of my time just trying to remember what I had done last, and what I needed to do next. Even if your 15 minutes is just spent figgering out the next step, at least you are pointed in the right direction...

Good luck

Thank you all. That's just what I needed to hear. I suppose I should just keep doing those little tasks until there are no more left to do.

It's good to have this family to keep me on the right track.

14 years of Joy

The answer to your question is a very big YES it is worth it! Building my RV-8 was no less than a life changing event.
14ctyzs.jpg

It is deffinately worth it. You need to only look at the task you are currently on. It in itself is a project. Once done you move on. If you look to far ahead at all the projects to go, it will get you off track and likely discouraged at how much is left. Just enjoy the moment even if that involves lots of cursing:D

I got my final inspection on my fourth build tomorrow, and every plane had it frustrating moments. It is perfectly normal. Just keep plugging away and one day it will be done.

I would be willing to put my scrap pile of aluminum tubing for fuel/vent lines against anyone else's on this forum.

It IS worth it. And you WILL fly this airplane. Just keep imagining yourelf in the cockpit, with your passenger of choice, heading off to some wonderful destination on what is sure to be one of the best moments life has to offer.

Fred,
I transformed 16' of aluminum tubing into one 8" curlicue between my fuel pump and tank selector valve. I showed it to one of the "Pros From Dover" to see if it was adequate. He asked whether the plane was going to be judged. When I said no, he said the piece would be fine. Two years into flying now and I haven't given that tubing another thought, except to laugh about all the grief it gave me at the time. Keep on keepin' on.
Burt

If you are building at home, take the time to grab lunch or something at the airport every week. It helps if you have a group of guys there that have flying RV's you can poke your nose into. Get one thing done every day and before you know it...it's flying. I made a long list of things that needed to be done, and each day in the shop I picked one that I could finish..then worked on others that I couldn't. Checking an item off the list is motivating....even if you added three others that day. Once you get past the systems, you will find that you often check off 6 or more items in a day.....then things really get rolling. The key for me was deciding that the plane was getting done....and until it did, my other hobbies were on permanent hold. Work, wife...PLANE. For 22 months that is all there was, every night, every weekend....and it's in the air now. If you are on tubing, you are far closer than that.

Worth it? Oh yeah, every single minute. Lets go Leatherneck....LEAN INTO IT!

Last edited:
Ten years?! Man you should quit. Then all those people who said (or thought) you would never finish would be right. Part of the reason for building is educational. The other part is your mission. I am just a year-and-a half into the 9A and am enjoying the learning experience. But a big plus is I have a part-time (retired) helper. He keeps me on my toes with reading plans and I feel like I have to "prepare" before he comes over. The mission, hmmm..... that's a long way off, but I know that the RV will be less costly to maintain and operate that the spam can I own now, with two partners. So, i'm looking forward to several years of building experience so that when I retire, I can fulfill some of that bucket list I've been making as I read these blogs on VansAirforce! Hope to see you some day at a fly-in.

Ten years?! Man you should quit. Then all those people who said (or thought) you would never finish would be right.

I know what you're driving at. I've been doing this for so long now, I really don't think I could quit even if I wanted to so while it was my emotional reaction, it's not my logical choice.

I'll make this work. Good luck with your build, Sir.

Only 6 hours for the fuel lines!?? I think it took me 6 weeks!

I'm 12 years in to mine, and just now have power.

IMG_1643.JPG

I feel a bit more motivated when certain milestones are reached.

I did all of that. Then. . . . I ripped it all out and put in braided lines from Bonaco. Wished I had started out that way.

Semper Fi

Take a black flag day every now and then when you need one, and then fall in for another day when your feeling strong. Drop me a line anytime if you have a question. I learned a ton about perseverance after two failed Subaru engines. Aerosport IO360 purring nicely now for years & loving it. :D
VMFA115 Beaufort 1985 >

Hey Fred, I am located in just south of you in COT. Anytime you need a motivational flight, just reach out. I always need an excuse to fly somewhere and eat.

frankleone94 at gmail.com

Been there. Still there, in a way. Tubing stopped me for weeks, and after buying and ruining tons of it I'm still not really happy with how it looks.

Anyway, you might need a lot more than a flight. I did. I finally hired an experienced builder to come over and help several hours each week. His experience and knowing I had to get stuff done before he came made a huge difference. So I'd recommend a helper, paid if need be, to move things along.

Frustration...

Here is my 2 cents worth.... And I know it sounds wishy washy, however I feel it is important.

Frustration in my mind has always been the result of the focus I have when dealing with a task.

Most of the time it relates to not completing the process in a time frame that I myself set.......

When when I re-look at the task at hand, I remind myself of what I have achieved during that work and realise the amount of learning that has taken place.

The character building that has occurred, being able to persist in the face of adversity, silly mistakes, rework etc...

I am thankful that I have been strong enough to even commence this type of project. That I have the courage to embark on something that the journey is just as important as the finish point.

In essence take pride in your accomplishment to date and just focus on the next task. Enjoy what it is giving you back and then move on to the next task. Before long the end will be achieved and you will have not just an aircraft, but the experiences of a lifetime.

And remember, we are all behind you :)

Need some motivation? Been there, wanted that! Here's some for when you are finished and flying.....
Maybe you can fly somewhere you never thought possible....

Antilles_243.jpg

And get a bird's eye view of Saba Rock Resort, a rock's throw from the famous "Bitter End Yacht Club" in the BVI:

Antilles_199.jpg

Follow other RVers to far-away lands, and maybe even receive a welcome gift...

Antilles_338.jpg

Antilles_340.jpg

See some beautiful sights...

Antilles_403.jpg

Make some new friends...

Antilles_399.jpg

Land at some cool airports...

Antilles_423.jpg

See the Pitons in person....

Antilles_476.jpg

There are costs involved....you have to pay your 'dues'...

Antilles_489.jpg

Of course, there is some 'danger' ahead...

Antilles_390.jpg

Right now, you are building parts; not an airplane. Keep building parts...and...maybe...one day...you'll have enough parts to put together and make an airplane.

In the end, after years and many hours of building (5 and ~3000 in our case), it's ALL worth it!!

Keep poundin' them rivets!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

PS: My favorite quote, hanging in my garage while building: "Perseverance, more important than knowledge, is required to finish your plane!"

Last edited:
Thanks Rosie! I'm ready! Again!
Tick tock buddy. Where is the "warp speed" on this clock?
Soon Scoot....soon.... Rosie

Fred, shoot me a note if you would like to go jiggle the handle tomorrow or Friday. The plane is fueled up and ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Danny said--life changing.

If this ole Army dude can finish one I know a Marine can.

I did take a few times off, and finished in 7.5 years, but the time is not the deal, it is the product-unbelievable!

One friend that built a Long Easy 25 years ago said it was like getting another masters degree, and he's a retired professor. He and it are still flying.

Hang in there, and get a few rides---get that grin going. There I was 10,000 feet looked out and saw the wing I built, cracked up thinking "I built this in my basement!"

Happy Thanksgiving

Suck it up Gunny and keep pounding those rivets.

Took me 14+ years. I've been flying now for 3 years and 300 hrs.

I can't match Rosie in motivation but I've flown all over the U.S. To visit my grand kids. Can't beat that :D

Semper Fi
'66-'70

From Rosie: More motivation can be found in the new Van's Calendar....see "Miss" March 2015...Congrats from "Miss" March 2001 :D By the way Gary, ANYONE flying can be a GREAT motivator! Gary "Condor" Sobek was my flying motivator :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[snip]
Frustration in my mind has always been the result of the focus I have when dealing with a task.

Most of the time it relates to not completing the process in a time frame that I myself set.......

When when I re-look at the task at hand, I remind myself of what I have achieved during that work and realise the amount of learning that has taken place.
[snip]
And remember, we are all behind you :)

I agree that my frustration is related to my rate of progress (or lack of). I had to bottle some wine earlier today but I was back in the shop and plugging away on it this evening! ;)

Got to love a crew that won't let you quit. :D

Gunny,

How do you eat an elephant...one bite at a time. It's the same philosophy that got you and me and a lot of others on this forum through 20+ years of service...we just didn't quit. It took 12 years to finish N225WD and every time I start a takeoff roll I forget the frustrations and doubts. You will too.

Dave
RV-6 N225WD
Down for second Condition Inspection

I am convinced that (other than cash) the two main properties of successful builders are patience and unrelenting stubbornness. :)

Keep at it man. I thought systems installation (the stage I think you are) was the hardest to keep motivated through. I assure you that when you start seeing the end, you may get absolutely frantic to work work work on it. I sure did.

Here is my motivational pic for you. Would not have done it without the chariot.

301652713543f3138510b9.jpg

Hey Fred,

Glad to hear you're back at it! My suggestion is to bounce around in the construction sequence a little to keep things interesting.

For example, I'm about 2/3 through the wheel pants and gear fairings, and I'm getting a little sick of the Dremel tool, dust, etc., so I'm going to do the map box in the IP next (or at least the cutout in the sub panel). Mixing it up keeps me motivated. Of course, some things need to be done in a certain sequence.

I keep telling myself to keep doing something...it all needs to be done in the end. And it's a nice feeling of accelerated building when you plug an already completed subassembly into the structure that you put together two months back.

Glad to hear you're back at it! My suggestion is to bounce around in the construction sequence a little to keep things interesting.

That's a pretty good idea. I'm usually focused on a single task until it's complete but perhaps I should start doing that.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Back