What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where's the Val?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Guess where we just landed (yup, I obscured the Waypoint Identifier...) earlier today....

IMG_0775.JPG

Yup, didn't consider the other clues, did I? COM tuned to 123.000, CTAF at Cochran. Furnace Creek is 122.900. Altimeter at KTRM was 29.80 Thu morning between 7:52 and 10:52 local, which was also the last time it was a "cool" 37 C too.

...not to mention KTRM in the green box, upper left on the PFD. Obscured but left in plain sight?

Yup - KTRM - Thermal, CA. I forgot to obscure that one field, dang it! :rolleyes:

Flew down through the smoke from Big Bear to have a look at an airplane for the magazine. First time I can recall landing below Sea Level, so I had to snap a picture.....and yes, it was too dang hot. Even after parking inside a hangar, in the shade, for two hours, the prop blade roots were too hot to touch, so we had to put a fan on the intakes for twenty minutes.

I grew up preheating airplanes - never had to pre-cool them before!:eek:

Paul

Yup - KTRM - Thermal, CA. I forgot to obscure that one field, dang it! :rolleyes:

Flew down through the smoke from Big Bear to have a look at an airplane for the magazine. First time I can recall landing below Sea Level, so I had to snap a picture.....and yes, it was too dang hot. Even after parking inside a hangar, in the shade, for two hours, the prop blade roots were too hot to touch, so we had to put a fan on the intakes for twenty minutes.

I grew up preheating airplanes - never had to pre-cool them before!:eek:

Paul

Must be lower than -120MSL.....appears to be about 1.15G :)

Did you meet the twins?

Very nice gals (twin sisters) running that FBO just West of the field. An enjoyable and hospitable place to stop. Climbing back over the hill on the way out ought to be easier in the RV than a 172 though.

Very nice gals (twin sisters) running that FBO just West of the field. An enjoyable and hospitable place to stop. Climbing back over the hill on the way out ought to be easier in the RV than a 172 though.

Didn't get a chance to meet the twins, but had to calculate a max IAS/Min vertical rate that would get me to Big Bear altitude to manage temps. At least that as fun and kept me occupied!

Back