What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 N225WD First Flight

dsvajda

The FAA said that N225WD was airworthy last Friday. This morning, my super slow build, drill all your your own holes, RV-6, kit number 22209, put the grin on my face exactly 12 years to the day that I put the first entry into my builders log. Total build hours 1438.

Flew as advertised. Transition training with Jim Delveau helped take most of the worry out of this morning's adventure. Flew out of Gardner, KS muni (K34)

DSCN1135.jpg

Taxiing back in (Sorry for focus, my wife was nervous too)

DSCN1136.jpg

Grinning

Dave
RV-6 225WD
O-320-D3G
Ed Sterba prop

What do you mean drilled all your own holes? Never heard of this before!! :D

Congrats, man!!

Big Congrats

Big Time Congrats Dave ....

I can relate .... 14+ years for my -6.

Have fun and be safe in Phase 1 .....

The perseverance some of you guys have just totally amazes me sometimes!

A big congratulations and admiration for hanging in there so long!

Enjoy,:)

:D Gotta love that grin. I'm just up the road at KTOP. Maybe we can get some BBQ at K81. Congratulations Dave.

And I thought the 9.5 years I took on my slow build -6 (only thing pre-punched was the wing skins) was something. Congrats and well done! :)

You made my day

Dave as a fellow member of the exclusive Classic RV-6 slow build club, finding you post on your completed project truly made my day. By some accounts on this forum only 30 to 40 % of the 6 kits ever get to flying status. :eek:
It looks like you've built a beautiful plane in a unbelievable time. I'm jealous! :mad:
I started in 1997, showing over 1700 hours now and everybody still thinks I building a dam boat. What the **** am I doing wrong?
Good job Dave. :)
Fly safe and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

Thanks

Thanks for all the great comments. It's not possible to express how much this forum has meant. So special shout out to Doug for putting this forum together. Twelve and half years ago I stumbled upon the following web site: http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/index.htm

I couldn't get Sam's "Westward Ho" adventure out of my mind. So thanks to Sam for providing the inspiration to actually take the plunge.

Tom, keep drilling, de-burring, and dimpling. When you roll out to the end of the runway following your first landing, you'll understand...

Thanks
Dave
RV-6
O-320-D3G
Ed Sterba Prop
Second flight complete

Back