What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon questions

mattsmith

Well Known Member
OK so I have a three day weekend and want to work on the wiring for my two Dynon panels and have questions, but dynes is closed today so I turn to you guys. The question is I have two SV 700 screens and I need to know if both harnesses are tied together for the serial ports, contact inputs, audio out/in and the SV GPS 250? One panel will be used as a PFD and the other panel will be used as the EMS. I plan to use terminal strips for the connections so do I just land both wires (one from each harness) to the same screw on the Dynon side of the strip? I have read the install manual twice and think the this is the way to do it but just want to make sure, not a electrical person.

Do I need to go from the EMS module to both SV 700 or just one for screen redundancy?

Also I have a Garmin XL 250 and a Garmin 496 as a GPS source, is there any advantage of using the Dynon GPS-250, besides triple redundancy?

I have tried the Dynon forums but those guys talk in a foreign language I don?t understand.
Thanks for any help

OK so I have a three day weekend and want to work on the wiring for my two Dynon panels and have questions, but dynes is closed today so I turn to you guys. The question is I have two SV 700 screens and I need to know if both harnesses are tied together for the serial ports, contact inputs, audio out/in and the SV GPS 250? One panel will be used as a PFD and the other panel will be used as the EMS. I plan to use terminal strips for the connections so do I just land both wires (one from each harness) to the same screw on the Dynon side of the strip? I have read the install manual twice and think the this is the way to do it but just want to make sure, not a electrical person.

Do I need to go from the EMS module to both SV 700 or just one for screen redundancy?

Also I have a Garmin XL 250 and a Garmin 496 as a GPS source, is there any advantage of using the Dynon GPS-250, besides triple redundancy?

I have tried the Dynon forums but those guys talk in a foreign language I don?t understand.
Thanks for any help

Connect all of the signals on the main harness together as you menitoned. Connect the EMS module to one of the SV 700 with a SV network cable, and connect the SV 700's together with a second SV network cable.

As for the GPS, you could eliminate the GPS-250 but it forces you to uses NMEA out from the other GPS source (which should be ok for the 496, not sure about the XL 250). This may restrict the other features that the GPS devices support.

V

I haven't read the dynon manual for a little bit, but I seem to remember it saying that the gps 250 is sent to both screens. I believe that they even call out serial port 5 for the gps input. But this is all going off of memory.

I've got a skyview system in my 6.

I'll answer your questions in order.

1. The question is I have two SV 700 screens and I need to know if both harnesses are tied together for the serial ports Yes

2. contact inputs No

3. audio out/in Don't hook up yet.

4. SV GPS 250? Yes

5. One panel will be used as a PFD and the other panel will be used as the EMS. This does not matter you hook them up the same anyway. Both panels will see the EMS as well the ADAHRS (PFD). The "network" will have all things on the network visable to both screens. You can go from one screen the the second and then to the EMS and then the ADAHRS. Or you could put one screen to the EMS and one to the ADAHRS and join the screens together with a third wire. It doesn't really matter. they will all be on the network. It is a matter of what is the best for your installation. I went from the left screen to the EMS with one network connector. From the left screen to the right with the second network connector. From the right screen to the roll servo then the pitch servo then the ADAHRS with the third network wire.

I plan to use terminal strips for the connections so do I just land both wires (one from each harness) to the same screw on the Dynon side of the strip? I have read the install manual twice and think the this is the way to do it but just want to make sure, not a electrical person. I did this also. I used terminal strips for all the serial connections, power etc. The contacts to each screen you want to keep seperate. The serial connections can be common.

Do I need to go from the EMS module to both SV 700 or just one for screen redundancy? One

Also I have a Garmin XL 250 and a Garmin 496 as a GPS source, is there any advantage of using the Dynon GPS-250, besides triple redundancy? I would use the Dynon unit. it is cheap and works really well. I have a garmin 396 tied to my system also.

Thanks for any help

If you have questions you would like to ask, you can call me if you would like. PM me and I'll send you my number, or PM me yours.

Back