What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builders: Skin Dimpling, important!!

agirard7a

Well Known Member
Ok. I learned something that I thought was important
To share. You veteran builders I'm sure are aware.
Upon dimpling my side skin on the fuse ,032 thickness. I realized the importance of proper dimpling. That is if you want a nice look on the skins with no deflection around the hole. On the first go around I put the skin
In place to cleco and saw a lot of deflection around the holes or concave.
The holes along the edge that I dimpled with a pneumatic squeezer did not
Have the problem. It seemed the more force used in creating the dimple the better.
I returned the skin to my dimple table and proceeded to wack harder with the hammer and c frame. I was using a rubber malet. First mistake.
I had the dimple table on a wood bench. Second mistake.
On the third go around when I put the table on a firm surface and switched to a steel hammer, the problem was solved. A perfect dimple
With perfect straight skin around it. HUGE difference. After you rivet
And there seems to be a slight concave around the rivet, it may not be a
A problem with the riveting!

Flange alignment plays a big part in eliminating that "concave" appearance. Using a tungsten bucking bar allows you to dial the air down even more and that will improve the appearance of the riveting. Also the quality of the dimple dies. I am using Kim Goldens super CNC die set. I used his regular CNC set on my first RV-10. I told him how pleased I was and included some pictures and he sent me his new and improved die set to try..I can tell you it does make a difference. The set includes every die you will need to build an RV pluss some small diameter dies that fit well into tight spaces. He is a great guy, all the stuff is made by him in the good ole USA. I also have one of the pneumatic squeezers he sells. I don't have any financial interest in his company. Found him on Van's tool suppliers list years ago.

http://www.rivettools.com/Page9.html

or get a DRDT-2 and avoid these issues altogether (new builders)

... which also needs to be adjusted properly. I love my DRDT-2, but if you browse through the archives you'll find lots of reports of underdimpling. Adjusted correctly it produces crisp and consistent results.

Agree

... which also needs to be adjusted properly. I love my DRDT-2, but if you browse through the archives you'll find lots of reports of underdimpling. Adjusted correctly it produces crisp and consistent results.

I will second that observation and precaution. An excellent tool once adjusted with the proper preload.

Agreed...I've done this when I wasnt paying close enough attention. Look for a nice 'witness' line circle when you are getting a good set.

Back