What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine driven fuel pump

mattsmith

Well Known Member
I have spent the last two hours trying to use the VAF search and Google to find the answers to this question with no results except frustration. I have a IO 360 with a A/C engine driven fuel pump that I can?t get the restrictor fitting for the fuel pressure sending unit installed because the position of the output is too close to the engine and engine mount. I have tried to take the pump apart and re-clock the ports but any position I try will not allow the correct orientation. Can I reorientation the in and out ports on the fuel pump? The picture doesn?t show it but the restrictor fitting will not go on the pump. The picture shows the only way I can get the pump together. I have had the pump apart about ten times trying to get the rite orientation so any help is appreciated.

dq3wgi.jpg

Tom, thanks for the reply, but a 90 will not help. The angle the picture was taken doesn?t show how tight it really is. The other problem is the fuel line from the pump to servo won?t make it around the engine mount. I fear I will need to get another pump

The orientation on the pump is definately off but I'm not sure how to correct it, I've never seen that before. The inlet and outlet should be pointing to the sides and the drain aft. Might be time for a new pump.

I have a Lycoming pump removed from my race motor at Reno. It has 210 hours on it. I thought it went bad because it was leaking oil, turns out the pump had backed off the case just a little bit, thus causing the leak. Didn't find that till I had a new pump in hand so I went ahead and swapped it out.

It was making good pressure at the time I took it off, 25ish psi at cruise power, 12.5 gph.

Actually, I think it is a Lycoming knock off, probably a Tempest pump.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/TEMPESTfuelpumpLYC.php

Let me know if your interested..

This thing has to be clocked wrong somehow. The inlet and outlet fittings should be paralell with the back of the engine. The overflow fitting should be slightly left of perpendicular or off center pointing slightly to the left. Is it possible the ring with the overflow port is upside down not alowing the top and botton to align correctly?
Ryan

Pumps are clocked like that to accommodate horizontal draft carburetor on certain model engines. The pump you have is a different P/N that what you really want because of the off set. There are also pumps that have the inlet and the outlet swapped on certain engines as well. I have never seen a high pressure pump that came clocked like that. So, first thing is you need to make sure you don't have a low pressure pump which won't work in an IO configuration. If it is a high pressure pump, you don't have to take the fuel pressure off at that location, you could use the port on the fuel servo for fuel pressure. If it's a low pressure pump, which I suspect it is, then you need a new pump anyway. Low pressure pumps have a smooth bottom where all the screws go into the housing on the bottom of the pump to hold the lower section of the pump together. The high pressure one's have a full diameter circular wave washer between the flat pump body and the hex head bolts holding the pump together.
http://http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0NZ0TRfffhhm42iVIkJT3MumtaZGc4NbObRHkxzo_B-4e59nEUsGBhAhdXpoHD1nac4rUayJ7aEpYVpWhkmT9_IQxWiQrg/Visual%20low%20and%20high%20pressure%20fuel%20pump%20comparison.JPG
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

After researching some more and Mahlon description I found it is the wrong fuel pump. Thanks for all the help.

Be VERY careful

Be VERY careful, when you reinstall your pump, we lost a 7 and pilot here in Northern California a couple of years ago. The NTSB traced it back to the fact that at one time the engine driven fuel pump had been miss-installed, causing a crack in the arm, at a point that could not be seen, and a dozen or so hours later it failed. I?ve done a bunch of these, while working as an A&P, and can tell you it?s a bugger if you don?t have room.

I was hoping there would be only one fuel pump for the io360 I have but there seems to be a few options and I was hoping someone here could help me make sure I get the right one. Tempest shows a medium pressure and a high pressure both in a laminated arm and a one piece arm. The motor is a IO 360 angle valve 200H.P. so I think I need the high pressure pump but what arm? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back