What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passed my commercial checkride!

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
Caught enough of a break in the weather yesterday evening to squeeze in a checkride with Catherine Cavagnaro. She runs Ace Aerobatic School out of Sewanee, TN (KUOS) and was just named the GA Award's 2020 National CFI of the Year. I've heard other folks have had difficulty finding a DPE who would give checkrides in experimentals. If you're in that situation, I would recommend reaching out to her.

Super excited about it despite the current global economic landscape. I graduated from college at the end of the 2000's at the height of the "Great Recession", so I guess timing has never been my strong suit.

That said, if anyone has a line on any low-time, wet-ink opportunities near Middle Tennessee while I contemplate my next move, I would certainly be grateful!

7wOyFj8n-tvpTd0X76cw0HspBnla4lOe-W91ipsaJvPDqb0ZT3pvVxmbBO5rULS5Ykxu7hEfcbzlIu1HhIvDydrYR7qrTOoY2EQytafzO3Yye4l8bmdSHaN9VLJwBw9MNCrHyo0vuE90KPaUCjaPKp5Dm5FwlbVQQzMrRRAx2cPBqI5_UBkq16JMXVB0JakFnTnbkqKF33552WdCCQAkfUnJ5Qu6OJGuZDlpd6GQSxzeOJGuN6R0_PQFv1ghPUB5yvQDdBRLhZTs4gllTc_VXWi9PM2hpAlOTJgwptIIABgIbZhlDdRFYaGpgOdfyQOMFl7OfMc6Y37DxShLhlvVpbNkLDfOl0aoxZ5PI5qaFUK_2MeFx2CkDl7E-4M2OrPg9WY6PmbzOVGUKZyOQovY3pozCVgLKqBRfKXsTy6C-2XVr2ZC8JBLfKX8U5s6UnCeV95mpv74eOr9LmT4qJvqivNO6KN6DzIi2MFbHVcSF47dmhDZH6jQ4pUI1DgyiaJ8rg-k0t4JbRoS78821qADwlCkdzJvWLUivWYB13wpACcbQZt-K36fdXhTp4HVi7YAf01-BTzdrLuMhy1P3u_6D9Zu5yI5aa6Cd6ShY2Dk4r9BuxgRruSssP4Rw_nefVayuVvhll1YXbrte2pN1S4HlqaZW27C_Z9Kiq6tkXOGpn3tprMg8Ypfp3ODBQurga8oXiJ-HpoiQQB2CIXJVgVfIon1M9ezmGWSDVQG_RR0pJbhMr76X7uFzg=w1314-h742-no

Last edited:
Congratulations. Did you have 10 hrs dual in a retract, or did the examiner let you count dual in your RV as a TAA?

Among all of those flying credentials,including spin training, you will also find Catherine Cavagnaro is also a college math professor.

Congratulations!

That is great news. I have heard good things about her. Stay positive, keep moving forward. What is your total time logged?

...AND...a regular contributor to AOPA Pilot magazine. She?s written some interesting articles.
During our ground portion, she seemed particularly interested in how I made a go/no-go decision without calculationing takeoff performance from a published chart. While she very understanding of the fact that there is no officially published data, we talked about flight testing, density altitude, and the Koch Chart. She mentioned that it all piqued her interest and might make for a good article someday.

That is great news. I have heard good things about her. Stay positive, keep moving forward. What is your total time logged?
Neighborhood of 350. I know even under good conditions, that options would be very limited at this point. Still a lot if work ahead of me, but glad to put that least one milestone in the rearview!

Back