What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic Opportunities in the Southeast

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello Aerobatic Enthusiasts and Possible Future Competitors!

There a couple of opportunities coming up. This Saturday in Georgia and February 9 & 10 in Florida we have a couple of events for those wanting to see what all of this IAC competition stuff is about in a non-contest environment. If you've already tasted competition and want to sharpen your skills to get ready for the 2019 season, this is it! Or if you've decided to give it a go, but haven't been to a contest yet, this it too!

First, in Georgia, myself and other members are hosting a chapter practice day. This will be the first of what we hope to be a monthly event. We are aiming to have an organized practice on the third Saturday of every month. This will be a perfect event to learn more about competition and if your up to it, start getting ready for your first contest. This Saturday we are meeting at Columbus Metro Airport (CSG). Just show 9-10. We hope to start flying by 10. If you desire to practice and don't have a chute, no worries, one of us will lone you one. Inverted systems and constant speed props, not required!

The second event is in Sebring, FL (SEF). It is a similar event. This from the organizers:

As Chris Magon announced, Chapter 23 is hosting a
practice weekend on Feb 9 and 10. As part of that
practice session we will be running a mini-camp for
1st time competitors and Primary and Sportsman
pilots. . The purpose of the mini-camp is to make
sure that pilots in the lower categories are
comfortable with the Sebring contest experience.
There will be a classroom session on Friday
afternoon (Feb. 8). That session will cover contest
procedures, dos and don'ts, how to improve your
scores by what you do before you fly, and any
questions you might have. That session will be
followed up by intensive critiqueing of every
practice flight you fly. After each flight, time will
be spent with some coaching. For all you guys out
there who have been tempting fate by rolling and
looping your RVs or Citabrias, it's time to see how
you're really doing. Tho goal of the camp is not to
get you in a position to win in your first contest.
Spoiler alert! You most likely won't. But you
probably won't look like a newcomer to the sport,
either. Having several critiqued flights under your
belt will increase your comfort level and should
result in much higher enjoyment level. By the way,
there is no cost for the camp, although if you make
me work hard, I get hungry. Spread the word. The
contest is the first weekend of May and we want you
ready to fly and have huge fun doing it. To sign up
for the mini-camp either email me at [email protected]
or call at 941-961-4669.

In any case, I hope to see some of you at either one of these events. It should be a great time!

Whoah. Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I want to get into aerobatics and been searching for a good chapter for the last year. Maybe I'll get to see you and meet others this Saturday or even the Feb trip maybe too. I'm in Nashville, but willing to travel down. Especially if its a better chance to make contacts and find people or a chapter to fit into.

Thanks for posting this.
Dan

Whoah. Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I want to get into aerobatics and been searching for a good chapter for the last year. Maybe I'll get to see you and meet others this Saturday or even the Feb trip maybe too. I'm in Nashville, but willing to travel down. Especially if its a better chance to make contacts and find people or a chapter to fit into.

Thanks for posting this.
Dan

Excellent Dan! I hope you can make it. It will be cold, but should be fun. I?m looking forward to meeting you.

Here's a reminder of the upcoming practice in Sebring. This is a fantastic opportunity for the novice.

First practice of the year for Chapter 23 at Sebring, Florida!! February 9th and 10th. Randy Rheinhardt will be having an introduction to contest flying (classroom) for new Primary and Sportsman Pilots on Friday afternoon, the 8th of February, before the weekend practice. He will explain contest procedures, I.e. box entry and exit, taking breaks, penalties, starting procedures, flying sequences, etc. please contact him for details at
941-961-4669. Various hotels available in Sebring. Chateau Elan is closet to airport. Restaurant is on the airport. C?mon out. We?d love to have you there. Contest season is starting soon!!

I hope some of you can take advantage of this. Should be a great time!

Some more aerobatic opportunities in the SE.

1. IAC Chapter 23 in Sebring, FL (SEF) is having regular practices and training camps. This is from Chris Magon:

"Sebring Practice!!!! Get ready for the contest season!! Saturday, March 9th, 9:30AM-4:00PM. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thanks, Chris Magon 954-300-five two six zero."

From Randy Reinhardt:

"Jerry,
If any new RVers want to show up , I'll do an intro
to acro contests class on Friday afternoon, and then
do extensive critiqeing and coaching for their
flying. Just have them let me know at [email protected]."

2. In Georgia, I have organized regular monthly practices with our chapter, IAC 3. All are welcome. Our practices are the 3rd Thursday of every month and we rotate airports around since we're all spread out. Our next practice is March 16, 0900 at Paulding County airport, PUJ. Nothing else, please come out and watch to see what it's all about. I unfortunately will not likely make that practice due to my anniversary, but if you get in touch with me, I'll connect you with the right people. Otherwise, just show up.

I just want to reiterate that this is not about getting some aerobatic dual instruction in your RV. This is for people already flying aerobatics and are interested in sharpening their skills and possibly getting ready for competition aerobatics. The training provided will be from a seasoned ground coach/judge.

I'm looking forward to seeing more RVs out on the circuit!

Jerry

Hello Aerobatic Enthusiasts and Possible Future Competitors!

There a couple of opportunities coming up. This Saturday in Georgia and February 9 & 10 in Florida we have a couple of events for those wanting to see what all of this IAC competition stuff is about in a non-contest environment. If you've already tasted competition and want to sharpen your skills to get ready for the 2019 season, this is it! Or if you've decided to give it a go, but haven't been to a contest yet, this it too!

First, in Georgia, myself and other members are hosting a chapter practice day. This will be the first of what we hope to be a monthly event. We are aiming to have an organized practice on the third Saturday of every month. This will be a perfect event to learn more about competition and if your up to it, start getting ready for your first contest. This Saturday we are meeting at Columbus Metro Airport (CSG). Just show 9-10. We hope to start flying by 10. If you desire to practice and don't have a chute, no worries, one of us will lone you one. Inverted systems and constant speed props, not required!

The second event is in Sebring, FL (SEF). It is a similar event. This from the organizers:

As Chris Magon announced, Chapter 23 is hosting a
practice weekend on Feb 9 and 10. As part of that
practice session we will be running a mini-camp for
1st time competitors and Primary and Sportsman
pilots. . The purpose of the mini-camp is to make
sure that pilots in the lower categories are
comfortable with the Sebring contest experience.
There will be a classroom session on Friday
afternoon (Feb. 8). That session will cover contest
procedures, dos and don'ts, how to improve your
scores by what you do before you fly, and any
questions you might have. That session will be
followed up by intensive critiqueing of every
practice flight you fly. After each flight, time will
be spent with some coaching. For all you guys out
there who have been tempting fate by rolling and
looping your RVs or Citabrias, it's time to see how
you're really doing. Tho goal of the camp is not to
get you in a position to win in your first contest.
Spoiler alert! You most likely won't. But you
probably won't look like a newcomer to the sport,
either. Having several critiqued flights under your
belt will increase your comfort level and should
result in much higher enjoyment level. By the way,
there is no cost for the camp, although if you make
me work hard, I get hungry. Spread the word. The
contest is the first weekend of May and we want you
ready to fly and have huge fun doing it. To sign up
for the mini-camp either email me at [email protected]
or call at 941-961-4669.

In any case, I hope to see some of you at either one of these events. It should be a great time!

Back