What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Seat Pedal Kit?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
After the wild success of my simplified rear seat throttle for the -8, I am thinking about tinkering with easily removable rudder pedals that I could put in if I wanted to check someone out in the front seat, and still have some chance of control from the back.

I'm wondering if anyone happens to have the Van's kit (RSR-PED-8) laying around that they have decided not to use, and might want to part with?

I have no illusions about soloing the plane from the back - don't intend to put in brakes - but am curious if I can come up with a really simple system for a specific task.

Paul

Hey Paul

I've got one you can have. Just PM me so I can get your snail mail address.

Cheers

brakes

Hey Paul,

Since you're working the problem; put your considerable engineering skills to work designing a set of rear rudder pedals with brakes. ;) I'm sure I'm not the only one that would buy a pair if available. Then maybe someone could do transition training in the 8 rather than the 6/7 that most use now.

Best regards,

John Barker
RV-8 N819WB
still building

another....

Paul, I also have a set you can have if you need another....let me know.

OBTW...my inspection is Saturday!!

I've got to wonder how many sets have been sold and are just sitting on shelves or got thrown out. I installed mine but thought they were stupid. They were too long for tall people and too short for my wife (5'2"). They also consume space over the "shelves" where your fuel selector is located. Since I really wanted to use the shelves for storing sectionals and stuff, the RSRPs had to go. They're in my hanger gathering dust, where they've been for 4 years.

Karl

cawmd82 said:

Wow! I didn't realize you were that close Chuck - good luck - can't wait to hear about first flight!

Paul

Come on guys! I find the rear pedals valuable. They keep my water bottle from rolling off onto the floor and jamming up the front stick! They also make a nice place to set my Bose X headset after my flight is over!

Just about to order Fuseloge

After reading this thread, it appears that rear seat rudder pedals are too needed. Is that because everyone fly's solo most of the time? I have to admit, the few passengers I have will probably not be pilots, so maybe you guys just save me $115. Can they be installed later if needed?

dbuds2 said:
Can they be installed later if needed?

Hi Bud,

I just got the kit in the mail from Mark today, and reading the instructions, it looks like it was designed to be added after construction (like anything, I suppose building it in at first might be slightly preferred. I agree that for normal flying, they have not been necessary. I am going to tinker with this kit a bit and see if I can make them easily installable/removable (like in two minutes) for the sole purpose of an EXPERIENCED pilot in the back seat checking someone out int eh front. If all you're going to do is let someone in the back get a little stick time now and again, they really have no need of the pedals - the adverse yaw is almost zero.

Paul

Hmmmmmmmmmmm;

Ironflight said:
Hi Bud,

I just got the kit in the mail from Mark today, and reading the instructions, it looks like it was designed to be added after construction (like anything, I suppose building it in at first might be slightly preferred. I agree that for normal flying, they have not been necessary. I am going to tinker with this kit a bit and see if I can make them easily installable/removable (like in two minutes) for the sole purpose of an EXPERIENCED pilot in the back seat checking someone out int eh front. If all you're going to do is let someone in the back get a little stick time now and again, they really have no need of the pedals - the adverse yaw is almost zero.

Paul
Do I see some "front office" time for Louise in the Val in the near future?

Mel said:
Do I see some "front office" time for Louise in the Val in the near future?

Well, maybe not "near".....I said I was going to have to tinker with the kit for awhile.... ;)

Paul

Good Rear Seat Rudder Pedals

I called Mark Fredrick when I was building and he recommended Jeff Mears who sells air vents and lights. The rear pedals that he can do for you is NOT posted on his site http://www.airkitllc.com/, but if you call him, I think he will set you up. These are very light weight, use existing cables to the Rudder and can be folded down when not in use. They do take up some valuable room....not perfect but the best I've seen so far.

Ron
N8ZD
RV-4

My solution

Ironflight said:
After the wild success of my simplified rear seat throttle for the -8, I am thinking about tinkering with easily removable rudder pedals that I could put in if I wanted to check someone out in the front seat, and still have some chance of control from the back.

I'm wondering if anyone happens to have the Van's kit (RSR-PED-8) laying around that they have decided not to use, and might want to part with?

I have no illusions about soloing the plane from the back - don't intend to put in brakes - but am curious if I can come up with a really simple system for a specific task.

Paul

Paul,
I've come up with a very simple system, using Vans Rear Seat Rudder Pedal Kit. Install Vans kit using 1/4 turn fasteners or nutplates and screws, to secure the plate which holds the pedal's tube to the pilot's seat. Substitute a drilled bolt, castellated nut and an AN416 for the bolt and nyloc nut supplied by Vans for securing the front of the pedal. The AN416 will act as a cotter pin to secure the castellated nut. See the lower right section of the page below for more info on the AN416.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cowlingpins.php

This will allow rapid installation and removal of the rear seat pedal kit. I have photos I can send if interested. I've never gotten the hang of how to post photos on this group.

The link below shows nut plates [on the F-863-L] which I have installed to allow rapid removal/installation of the rear rudder pedals. See

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=539159&postcount=6

Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
Photos of removable rear pedal mods

Below are photos of easy mods to make RV8 or 8A [8A shown] rear seat rudder pedals quickly removable. The only tool needed is a #2 Phillips screwdriver to remove the four #8 screws which retain each of the rudder pedal support plates [in place of the rivets Vans calls out]. The bolt, castle nut and washers [which connect the pedal rods to the bell-crank] shown in the first photo below can be removed easily with your hands.

an416quickreleasepinsfo.jpg

The photo below shows two MS21047-L08 nut plates [K1000] installed on the inboard side of the F-863-R. This allows you in install the rear rudder pedal mounting bracket [part with the snap bushing] using #8 screws rather than rivets. A total of 4 nut plates must be installed to mount each of these support plates.

nutplateinstallationtoa.jpg

The photo below shows the location of the two nut plates which must be installed into the F-804 assembly on each side. They are located just below the line of copper colored Clecos.

rearrudderpedalbracketn.jpg

Last photo shows the Right Side pedal assembly. Clecos are holding the support bracket into the nut plates. #8 Phillips screws are used for permanent mounting.

rearrudderpedalassyrtto.jpg

Charlie

Rear Pedals

Paul, I also have a set you can have if you need another....let me know.

Do you still have the Rudder Pedals. If you are not using them, I would love to have them.
Please advise,

I called Mark Fredrick when I was building and he recommended Jeff Mears who sells air vents and lights. The rear pedals that he can do for you is NOT posted on his site http://www.airkitllc.com/, but if you call him, I think he will set you up. These are very light weight, use existing cables to the Rudder and can be folded down when not in use. They do take up some valuable room....not perfect but the best I've seen so far.

Ron
N8ZD
RV-4

These pedals won't work for an RV-8. They are designed to be used with virtually any aircraft with rudder cables that run along the cockpit sidewall ABOVE the floor. IIRC, the RV-8's cables are below the floor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Vince

RV-8A Rear Seat Rudder Pedals

I purchased mine when I bought the emp kit 7 years ago. After getting a QB fuselage, decided not to install them. If anyone out there wants them let me know. Just pay shipping or pick them up at IYK - or trade me something you are trying to get rid of and I haven't yet figured out I can't live without it.

I purchased mine when I bought the emp kit 7 years ago. After getting a QB fuselage, decided not to install them. If anyone out there wants them let me know. Just pay shipping or pick them up at IYK - or trade me something you are trying to get rid of and I haven't yet figured out I can't live without it.

I'll take them, not sure what you might want in trade, I'll send a PM later.

Regards

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Back