What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with air seal around governor

dwilson

Well Known Member
I am struggling with how to seal around the MT governor/air inlet ramp on my RV10.

How did you seal over the top of the governor?
Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

I used a contour guide to get the right shape and transferred that on the aluminum and baffle material for a good fit around the governor, then just kind of eyeballed the shape of the top cut of the baffle material to match the pictures in the baffle section of the plans. I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago when I replaced the cylinders. I checked the fit with the top cowling in place and found a couple small gaps where the baffle material meets the cowling and folds over. Its a better fit than my original but there is still room for improvement.

Would still like to see a picture

Thanks David,
I think I understand your explanation, but was hoping someone could post a picture of the cowl top and inlet ramp as well as the baffle right around the governor.

Thanks David,
I think I understand your explanation, but was hoping someone could post a picture of the cowl top and inlet ramp as well as the baffle right around the governor.

Some parts just have to be fabricated by trial and error.

Here's a photo on my inlet ramp. I don't have any other photos.

FP23062013A00026.jpg

After you have the ramp glassed into the cowl top, set the cowl in place. Take a sharpie and trace the outline of your governor. Cut the ramp well short of your lines and incrementally keep trimming until it fits.

The baffle material is straight forward. There shouldn't be any mysteries there.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks fellows,
I appreciate the pictures and the advice. I will post what I come up with regarding how to use the rubberized fabric over the top of the governor to effect a good seal.

Thanks fellows,
I appreciate the pictures and the advice. I will post what I come up with regarding how to use the rubberized fabric over the top of the governor to effect a good seal.

Duane,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are thinking about this way too hard. All you need is a strip of fabric, blind rivet in front of the governor, follow the contour of the governor, and blind rivet at the rear. Trim as necessary. It will naturally lay over due to the contour and seal against the cowl top.

This photo link may not work, since it's on FB, especially for those that aren't currently "friends".

12308543_10154801157387588_4881415279297781768_n.jpg

bob

So Bob, what about the upper cowl inlet ramps? Both the left and right ramps on ours come down right on the two front baffle pieces. Did you trim the ramps or the aluminum part of the baffle?

Back