Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-15
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2021, 11:09 AM

In my dream world they were just playing a game about unveiling it at Osh22 and the kit will actually be available in a month or two… not a chance unfortunately.

Thinking about the timelines and selfishly looking at the U.K. market for the 15 I hope it can be easily adapted to electric or hydrogen power train, because my best estimate for the first kits likely to be reaching completion in the U.K. is around 2031 based on the experience of the 10 and 14.

By then our loony tunes politicians will have already banned the sale of new cars with ICE (current legislation says no new engines in cars by 2030) and the green lobby are bound to have pushed them into doing something about all these privileged rich boys with their dead dinosaur eating, oil spewing engines.

Now achieve that in a 2+2 aerobatic high wing with sensibly large tyres and I’ll send the bank details now.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:45 AM

Given comparison of other like aircraft - Cub, Bearhawk, S21, Sportsman, etc - a Vans-ified Cessna 175 would be a welcome thought. Adequate cabin space for 2+2/4 place possibilities with ample cargo and upright seating. Wide range of engine/prop choices to fit the mission.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK983 View Post
...I hope it can be easily adapted to electric or hydrogen power train, because ... our loony tunes politicians will have already banned the sale of new cars with ICE ... and the green lobby are bound to have pushed them into doing something about all these privileged rich boys with their dead dinosaur eating, oil spewing engines.
On the one hand, you gotta admit that adding CO2 to the atmosphere (i.e. being a part of the process that is wrecking the planet for future generations) just for fun is at least somewhat morally questionable. Don’t get me wrong, I do it too, but can you really say that you have a right to contribute to rising sea levels, rising temperatures, and the problems that they cause for ecosystems and for societies… just for fun? It’s a bit of a guilty pleasure, in my book.

On the other hand: I agree that outlawing ICE and mandating electric/hydrogen is over the top. I say this because biofuels can give you 90% of the performance and convenience of petrol, while being practically carbon-neutral. It does not take much to modify an avgas- (or mogas-) burning airplane into an ethanol-burning one. You don't even need a new engine or low-compression pistons. Now that is a law that I would support.

Did you know that in Brazil, about half of cropdusters are powered by certified, ethanol-burning IO-540s? Yes, their specific fuel consumption is a little worse than for 100LL (because ethanol has some oxygen in it, not just C and H), and on cold days they need to prime the engine with avgas so it starts easily… but those two disadvantages are a small price to pay for not wrecking the planet, IMO.