What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing aircraft covers alone

Duncannon

https://aircraftcovers.com/media/rv8-4.jpg

If anyone on here covers their entire aircraft (wings, tail and all), about how long does it take to install all covers after flight and remove beforehand if you do it alone, assuming it could be done alone? This appears to be a great way to protect an aircraft if hangar space is unavailable, but I’d imagine it’s a chore (though it’s a chore I’d be happy to do).

I have a Bruce's canopy cover and it's an easy off/on when parking outside is required. I'd say 5 mins or less on the pre or post flight.

My planes is normally hangared at home, but that will change in 3-5 years. Not sure how far I'll go with additional covers.

I will be watching this thread for opinions. I want the sun off the canopy, interior, panel. But my paint isn't 8+ and where I'll be is below the snow line.

Mileage varies on where things are being stored.

I'm number 11 for a hangar at my next airport, but the last one changed hands 3 years ago, so Candy has some outdoor storage in the future.

Last edited:
I have a Bruce's canopy cover and it's an easy off/on when parking outside is required. I'd say 5 mins or less on the pre or post flight.

My planes is normally hangared at home, but that will change in 3-5 years. Not sure how far I'll go with additional covers.

I will be watching this thread for opinions. I want the sun off the canopy, interior, panel. But my paint isn't 8+ and where I'll be is below the snow line.

Mileage varies on where things are being stored.

I'm number 11 for a hangar at my next airport, but the last one changed hands 3 years ago, so Candy has some outdoor storage in the future.

Good to know about the canopy cover. Don’t know if you viewed the photo, but that’s how I plan to cover my airplane if I ever get to own one. Pretty much every square inch is protected.

I’m in south GA, so snow isn’t a factor here, but sunlight/heat sure is, in addition to sudden thunderstorms.

Covers

I have a full set of Bruce's covers for my 6A which lives outside.

It takes maybe 5 minutes to take them off, and 10 minutes to put it back to bed.

If you live in a dusty sandy area like I do be careful removing the cover. If it touches the ground here it will load up with sand and other nasty grit that can cause damage if pulled back over the airplane later. I would also say to make sure the cover is snug because if the wind gets under it it can blow sand under it and then the whipping action of the loose cover in the wind can act like somebody grinding sand paper on your canopy and paint.

Back