What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YIO-390-EXP119 Alternator

Ralgh

I ordered the YIO-390-EXP119 directly from Vans and am having my instrument panel designed by SteinAIr and they need to know if the alternator is internally or externally regulated. Does anybody know the answer to that question? Thanks.

You decide. Your engine comes with a starter but no alternator.

I suggest the nice B&C 60 amp unit with external regulator.

Carl

The standard alternator (Plane Power) I got from Van's (in the standard FWF kit) was internally regulated. The backup I ordered and installed was externally regulated.

Some people are not happy with the Plane Power alternator. The PP is internally regulated. If you go with the B&C alternator it requires an external regulator. Stein can probably add that for you. My panel is being built by Aerotronics and they are incorporating the regulator for a B&C alternator with my panel build.

Eric

Last edited:
Agree Aileron1999 and Carl

The OP was simply asking what the standard alternator was. If I had to choose only one I'd go B&C, externally regulated. I suppose best option is to either contact Van's and ask if that's an option or delete from FWF and order what you prefer.

Just out of curiosity what is it people didn't like about the Plane Power alternator. I'm feeling from the responses the B&C is probably the way to go.

Just out of curiosity what is it people didn't like about the Plane Power alternator. I'm feeling from the responses the B&C is probably the way to go.

I think after reading a number of threads on the topic there are two concerns:

Plane Power seems to be less reliable overall than B&C

B&C are externally regulated - perception (not sure if this is also reality) is that this is a better way to go.

I had no problems with either Plane Power internally regulated (primary) or B&C pad-mounted backup. AFAIK second owner has had no problems either, but not certain.

Back