What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How fast does an RV climb to 17,500' VIDEO

FulltronAviation

Custom RV painting by Fulltron
Advertiser

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 261
Interesting but the voice over is completely disconnected from what's going on with the screen...very hard to follow...

EDIT: The VO sync problem must of been a Youtube glitch....seems fine now. Thanks for making the video.

Last edited:
Im jealous. Those CHTs are crazy low for such a climb.
I would be constantly flattening out to keep under 400 in my 7.

How much were you leaning out?
Looked like not much down low, but full lean in the upper parts.

Based on the OATs and rough estimation, looks like density altitudes were roughly 2,000 feet higher. Nice! I saw full tanks. Can you tell us the gross weight and C.G.? What were you able to get your TAS up to from up there?

I didn't record total time to 17,500'

Part of the reason I didn't record the total climb time to 17,500 was because I stopped at 12,500 to put on the oxygen system. I was probably about 250# below max. I took off from 3DW, Springfield Downtown Airport in Springfield, MO. It was last week of July and ground temp was in upper 80's. My climb performance at 17,000' was as good as the local training 172's climb rate on takeoff.

My CHT's are really low. The highest CHT that I have ever seen, in an extended climb, was 399 degrees. Lycoming recommends to lean the IO-390 to PEAK EGT when at cruise and 75% power or less.

I didn't calculate DA for 17,500, because I figured that it is what it is, and when I'm traveling it doesn't matter at all to me. I will say that air vents were closed up high and didn't need cabin heat with the RV-14's bubble canopy.

I'm working on the next video which is max cruise speeds and economy cruise speeds at altitudes up to 17,500' It should be done in a few days. Dan

Cruise speed at 17,500 ft

I have not taken my 14 up to 17.5 but curious what was your cruise IAS? I'm building a 10 and considering a O2 system and was curious what I can expect at 17.5 since they perform about the same? Thanks and keep the video's coming.

I have not taken my 14 up to 17.5 but curious what was your cruise IAS? I'm building a 10 and considering a O2 system and was curious what I can expect at 17.5 since they perform about the same? Thanks and keep the video's coming.

Only half a 14 (RV7) but last week went on a 1400 mile trip over the mountains. At 14,000 I could maintain cruise between 160 and 165 KTAS. About what the plane does at 8000. The fuel burn was lower in the 6.x territory not in the 7.9-8.1 like at 8000 (leaned) for same speeds. I just ran near the peak EGT or a tad richer to reach best speed.

If you are building a 10 it will perform relatively much better than my 7 at these altitudes, so O2 definitely recommended if you travel cross country, as you should be doing. :D

Last edited:
I took my RV-14 to 17,500' and recorded both full-power & economy (8 GPH) cruise speeds at every VFR cruising altitude.
Dan do you recall the time and distance once you reached 17,500.

TIME TO CLIMB from T/O to 17,500'?
DISTANCE FLOWN from T/O point to point at which you reached 17,500'?

What was departure airport elevation and temp?
What was total fuel burn from T/O to 17,500?
AC weight at T/O (looks like solo full fuel)?

These would be great metrics to know. If you don't recall cheers. Thanks.

Very informative -) could never understand why people set their cockpits up to be flown on the wrong side? A mate bought a 7 like that, took us ages to get it correct:)

You may have mentioned this in the video, but by any chance did you have it pointed into the winds aloft as you climbed?

Back