Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-08-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Remove the cowl. Apply some flox or layers of fiberglass inside equal to the amount you need to remove on the outside. That way the finished thickness after sanding will be correct. Grind it down to the mark and move on.
The spinner-sized hoop at the front of the cowl is structure, and it's stressed more than most folks realize. Dynamic pressure inflates the cowl like a balloon, and total load (available dynamic pressure x Cp x area) can be hundreds of pounds. Take a look at the cracks near the inlets on some of the older polyester cowls.

So, don't fill from the inside and cut away the original layup. There's a good chance the result will not be as strong as the original.

Instead, continue trimming the rear edge of the cowls, shifting the entire cowl assembly rearward until the most narrow dimension in the spinner gap matches the desired gap. Finished fitting the cowl...all fasteners or hinges in place, all edges gapped for paint, completely done.

Now remove the cowl, set it upright on the floor with all the side and nose fasteners in place, and scuff sand the face of the flange with a coarse grit. Mix a batch of epoxy/flox and spoon on a generous quantify. Press it with a board or other flat surface which has been prepped for mold release...slick tape, wax, PVA, whatever works. Leave it in place until after cure, then pop it off, and sand the perimeter to a nice even radius, just like the original edge. If there are some voids in the surface, touch it up with dry micro. When if looks good, make two easy cuts across the flox with a hacksaw blade to separate the halves. Dress the cuts and you're done.

Last edited by DanH : 08-08-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:27 AM

Default Cowl fit

Thanks guys. Funny how the brain gets stuck.
Dan's method is the way to go.
The gap at the tip will increase, but that can be filled in as he recommends.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/2022, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:39 AM

Default cowl nose ring buildup

Dan's method is perfectly acceptable for building up the cowl nose ring.

But, when I did mine, I wasn't that confident in my epoxy/flox buildup techniques, or my ability to get the shape to come out right. The nose ring on mine was out of parallel with the spinner from left to right, and the cowl halves were off top to bottom. The left side of the top cowl was recessed almost 1/4" aft from where it should have been, tapering to "almost right" on the right side. The bottom cowl was off in a similar way, but not as bad as the top. The net result was absolutely nothing on the nose ring was remotely parallel to the spinner back-plate, the gap varied in size all the way around the circle.

So, I ended up epoxying balsa wood to the front of the nose ring, then block sanding the parts back down so there was a constant gap between the spinner back-plate and the cowl. After that I put two layers of glass over the balsa, and sanded everything down to blend it in. The result came out great. (See....all that model airplane building as a kid did come in handy! )

Click image for larger version

Name:	build 2-282.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	524.4 KB
ID:	29185

Name:	build 2-284.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	511.5 KB
ID:	29186

Name:	build 2-290.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	29187

Name:	build 2-294.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	29188
Phase II - 5/19/14
Old 08-08-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Instead, continue trimming the rear edge of the cowls, shifting the entire cowl assembly rearward until the most narrow dimension in the spinner gap matches the desired gap. Finished fitting the cowl...all fasteners or hinges in place, all edges gapped for paint, completely done.
As I indicated above, trimming the aft edge of the cowl on both sides at the bottom would allow for the top cowl to rotate counterclockwise looking at it from the port side, but the gap between the top front of the top cowl would not change unless the angle and washer/spacer installed are removed. By doing this, the front of the cowl at the top moves down in relation to the spinner mount. This would decrease the gap but change the elevation of the top of the cowl in front.

Of course this downward change in elevation could be adjusted with fiberglass/epoxy and flox bodywork. Is this what you had in mind? That would also add a bit of structure.
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
QB Wings 99% Complete 7-30-22
Wiring and Avionics 85%
Cowl Completed sans paint 10-30-22!
2023 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL
Old 08-08-2022, 09:05 AM

Default Cowl fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
As I indicated above, trimming the aft edge of the cowl on both sides at the bottom would allow for the top cowl to rotate counterclockwise looking at it from the port side, but the gap between the top front of the top cowl would not change unless the angle and washer/spacer installed are removed. By doing this, the front of the cowl at the top moves down in relation to the spinner mount. This would decrease the gap but change the elevation of the top of the cowl in front.

Of course this downward change in elevation could be adjusted with fiberglass/epoxy and flox bodywork. Is this what you had in mind? That would also add a bit of structure.
No. What Dan is suggesting is to sand the entire aft edge uniformly till the bottom edge of the nose bowl is the correct spacing. This retains the dimension with the washer at the top. When everything is done, the nose bowl to spinner gap will be the even wider at the top. That is repaired by adding material to the nosebowl instead of grinding off. It retains the structural integrity. I was wrong.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/2022, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
No. What Dan is suggesting is to sand the entire aft edge uniformly till the bottom edge of the nose bowl is the correct spacing. This retains the dimension with the washer at the top. When everything is done, the nose bowl to spinner gap will be the even wider at the top. That is repaired by adding material to the nosebowl instead of grinding off. It retains the structural integrity. I was wrong.
Ahhha! Thanks Larry! That makes total sense. And, thanks Dan. Now I understand your second drawing.
Wiring and Avionics 85%
2023 Dues Paid

Last edited by rockitdoc : 08-08-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Is this what you had in mind?
No rotation. Just move it straight aft.

BTW, When using flox or micro, don't miss the opportunity to rough off excess material when the epoxy cures to the cheese stage...still soft, but no longer sticky. It can be sliced with a knife, or grated away with a Sureform, or shaved with a vixen file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevea View Post
So, I ended up epoxying balsa wood to the front of the nose ring, then block sanding the parts back down so there was a constant gap between the spinner back-plate and the cowl. After that I put two layers of glass over the balsa, and sanded everything down to blend it in.
Nicely done. More than one way to skin a cat!

Last edited by DanH : 08-08-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:

As Larry also has mentioned, you will need to readjust the lower cowl to get the proper alignment to the spinner. Then setup the top cowl with the correct alignment with the spinner and then the alignment between the top and bottom cowl.
If you have not cut the sides to a perfect fit yet, the only area that you might need to redo between the top and bottom is the screw holes on the inward part of the inlets which is easy to do.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 08-08-2022, 10:10 AM

Not to argue with anyone on repair techniques for the cowling nose but I just got off the phone with Vans tech support.

My cowling is already fitted and needs the gap widened between the spinner backing plate and cowl nose. I had planned to add fiberglass/flox to the back side of the nose and remove material from the front side as Larry suggested.

Vans agreed this was a good approach as long as I added the same or more to the back side.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring and Avionics harness completed 9/2/2021
FWF Completed 11/1/2022
Final assembly Started 11/10/2022
Wings on 11/12/2022

N526RM

Donated for 2022 and so should you
Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
No rotation. Just move it straight aft.
Yes. That makes perfect sense, and what I will do.

Quote:
BTW, When using flox or micro, don't miss the opportunity to rough off excess material when the epoxy cures to the cheese stage...still soft, but no longer sticky. It can be sliced with a knife, or grated away with a Sureform, or shaved with a vixen file.
Thanks for that. I found out this the hard way once by epoxying/floxing in the wrong place, then removed it fairly easily using the procedure you describe.
Wiring and Avionics 85%
2023 Dues Paid