What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOG

smt6

Well Known Member
Stuck AOG at SNA. Engine fires but then chokes out. All the obvious has been checked. O-360 with dual electric ign. Out of ideas. Any help?

What do you mean by "chokes out"? Too rich to run?

I just got off the phone with him.

The engine starts right up but dies as as if it is fuel starved as the RPM's start to rise.

He has an Ellison throttle body and dual Fly Efii system 32 ignitions.

I've got no experience with either.

Is there a gascolator in the system? Possible fuel blockage...
Pull the fuel caps and see if there is a vacuum...

Mixture cable

Is the mixture cable attached and going full throw both ways? If so, try pulling the filter screen which is under the fuel inlet of the Ellison. Ensure good fuel flow with the line disconnected. Look up the throat and ensure the mixture tube rotates when the mixture control is moved. Holes point down at cutoff and are 90 degrees at full rich. In that same vein, ensure the mixture lever on the Ellison has not come loose. It should be safetied, but you never know. That could cause the mixture tube not to rotate.

If it's an older EFS 4-5 (O-360) or any EFS-4 there should be a small tube running from the bottom of the bell inlet to the regulator. I believe the newer EFS 4-5 have this incorporated internally so wouldn't apply.
Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
Induction leak?

Check your induction system for a leak. For example one of the hose clamps may have come loose and slipped off the induction tube. You'll want to check all four cylinders. If you are sucking air the mixture will go lean and the engine may die. Although usually it runs rough before it dies.

Also check the fuel lines. Remove the line from the throttle body and see if it flows properly. You can't tell if the gascolator is plugged by draining the gascolator. I believe the screen is on the other side of the drain. Personally I would pull the gascolator screen and inspect it visually. Also is there a screen in the throttle body like there is in a carburator? If so visually inspect that too.

Just my $0.02 worth (and probably worth much less than that!)

Good luck!

From the Ellison troubleshooting guide:

"Engine dies when throttle is slowly opened from idle: Induction air leak between TBI and cylinders."

Well, about to call it a day. No resolution in sight. Took apart fuel system. Nothing clogged that I could tell. Will give Ellison or whoever bought them a call in the morning. If anyone knows anyone that could help with repairs in SNA, I’d appreciate it

If you need any tools or a ride somewhere let me know. I'm based at LGB so pretty close.

-Marc

Back