What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Southern Flyer Brenham

a real shame

Very surprising - seems like perhaps a scaled back operation would be possible, or perhaps just opening on weekends and holidays. Having never run a restaurant, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but I will miss this place when I come to Texas to visit the family.

That's really too bad - and surprising. When we lived there, you had to be on the ramp a little before the place opened at 11:00 on a weekend, or you wouldn't get a tie down spot. The pilots we left behind in Texas must have really fallen down on their duty of keeping the place busy!

A shame it closed...

The pilots we left behind in Texas must have really fallen down on their duty of keeping the place busy!

Paul,

Sometimes, we Texas flyers are doing all we can to support a business, but "externals" kill it none-the-less....perhaps that was the case with the Southern Flyer. Sad, as it was the first "fly out" dining experience I took the Missus to in my new-to-me RV.

Unhappily, I am hearing we may be losing The Beacon Cafe here at Hicks...landlord issues. :(

Say it ain't so!

When I lived in San Antonio, this was the go-to option for a nice flight, good food (Blue Bell ice cream too!) and a unique 50's style setting. Like others have said, hard to believe it's ending...

Loved seeing at least a handful of RV's on the ramp there whenever I went. In fact, it was one of the first places I could drool over other RV's!

That's really too bad - and surprising. When we lived there, you had to be on the ramp a little before the place opened at 11:00 on a weekend, or you wouldn't get a tie down spot. The pilots we left behind in Texas must have really fallen down on their duty of keeping the place busy!

Paul, That hasn't changed. Last time we were there, you still had to wait for a seat if you weren't first in line. We're just as surprised as anyone.

Paul,

Sometimes, we Texas flyers are doing all we can to support a business, but "externals" kill it none-the-less....perhaps that was the case with the Southern Flyer. Sad, as it was the first "fly out" dining experience I took the Missus to in my new-to-me RV.

The article says that it is both flyers and external forces...

Owner Jack Hess says the downturn in the oil business along with the lack of weekend flyers has hurt his business.

That is a bummer. I would make a trip there about once a month. I guess that was not enough. This was the closest hamburger run from KVCT.

I have a sneaking suspicion that without the dinner that airport is going to become a ghost town! Sad!

Something else is up. I've had lunch there twice in the last 5-6 months and each time we had to wait 30-45 minutes for a table. Maybe regulations, medical insurance requirements, new city management?? On the other hand, I've never gone for lunch in Brenham on a good weather day.

But this is a major loss for (good) $100 hamburger venues in SE Texas.

Last edited:
Owner Jack Hess says the downturn in the oil business along with the lack of weekend flyers has hurt his business.

I have a hard time buying that reason. I flew there last Thursday for a burger and the place seemed very busy........bummer

The Lukin (KLFK) cafe is still open. Im sure they would love to see the Houston crowd. Not the same atmosphere but they have great burgers.

The Lukin (KLFK) cafe is still open. Im sure they would love to see the Houston crowd. Not the same atmosphere but they have great burgers.

I'm thinking this! We may be headed your way soon for a burger.

(RIP Fran & Annon Card)

Another one...?

So sad to hear this one shutting down too. I have been there quite a few times in the past both via car and airplane and it always was busy. The worst part is that we seem to be on a one-way road of sorts where airport diner's close - but new one's aren't opening... supply and demand at work. ...Teach a kid/parent/co-worker to fly, save an airport diner and maybe an airport.

I actually like LFK's burgers better. Been up there several times. Will hit their airshow this year as well. And, will be running in the SARL race at OCH.

Sad and shocked. The weekend business seemed okay lately, not sure about the weekdays. Wonder if it could ever come back. Best place and Jack and Janet are such good people.
Guess I should have eaten more food.

Back