What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thursday!

Flandy10

Well Known Member
That has been my answer for the last two years to anyone who has asked the question "When is it going to fly?"

Well, Thursday Dec. 22nd, it took to the skies above Falcon Field in Peachtree City, GA. Airborne in typical RV fashion, it quickly climbed out behind the power of the CD-230. This engine is very smooth running in flight.

119nf43.jpg

2rylmau.jpg

2psg6th.jpg

znphfp.jpg

My heartfelt thanks to my wife Tracey for her unending patience, the Falcon RV Squadron, the great people at Continental Motors and the many, many others that helped get this dream of mine off the ground.

Congratulations!
Just curious (and too lazy to do the numbers myself): At what altitude will the cruise power of the turbo diesel equal the cruise power of the non-turbo'd IO-540?

Way to go Scott!!!!! Very proud of you, and pleased to have been a small part of your project.
Congrats on a josb well done!
Tom

Merry Christmas! Congrats on the flights. Can't wait to hear about the engine and performance!

Congratulations!
Just curious (and too lazy to do the numbers myself): At what altitude will the cruise power of the turbo diesel equal the cruise power of the non-turbo'd IO-540?

Bob, I'm not sure what cruise power you want to compare. I found a Lycoming Manual power chart for the IO-540 series and it's based on Full Throttle HP. Using this chart, at about 3600ft, the CD-230 will equal the 540's HP.

I am planning some side by side comparison flights during the performance testing and will post the numbers from those tests.

Wow

Very cool project. You would do those of us building -10s a great service by publishing details of your engine process and required mods up to this point.

Congratulations! I love the idea of a Diesel in the RV-10. I will be looking forward to learning more about your performance numbers!

Project Information

The RV-10TDI conversion is something I've been working on for quite awhile. As I said in another thread, over 8yrs and 8 months from first rivet to first flight. Why so long-Life happens- kids, work, home improvements, etc. I plan on answering all questions -both good and bad- in time. This project is covered by a NDA with Continental Motors and I will work within its framework to provide the answers on the VAF Forums.

The RV-10TDI conversion is something I've been working on for quite awhile. As I said in another thread, over 8yrs and 8 months from first rivet to first flight. Why so long-Life happens- kids, work, home improvements, etc. I plan on answering all questions -both good and bad- in time. This project is covered by a NDA with Continental Motors and I will work within its framework to provide the answers on the VAF Forums.

I had the document from Continental open in another tab when I came across this. Congrats on the flight!

What can you tell us about the CD-230? Is it something that Continental is planning on selling a FWF kit for? I'm curious if it's something that I can start looking into (considering building a 10).

Thanks!

Back