What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empenage help please

Adam W

Well Known Member
i hope this is the wright place to post this question / concern. im building the empenage for RV7. i have arrived at the step were you cleco on the skin for the horizontal Stabilizer. the next step is to temporarily install 00005 and 00006 mark them using the holes in the skin as a guide then flute as necessary etc. heres the part that has me concerned. at the intersection of 00005 and HS702 the skin has a prepunched hole that does not appear to line up with any surface to rivet to. basically the inboard portion of the HS702 flange has been cut away as per the detail in earlier steps. my fear is ive cut away to much, however it doesnt look as though i have when compared to the drawings and detail. the drawings also show the flange cut away in the same fashion. am i missing something? will this hole eventualy line up with something? hopefully ive explained this adequately

Hole

i hope this is the wright place to post this question / concern. im building the empenage for RV7. i have arrived at the step were you cleco on the skin for the horizontal Stabilizer. the next step is to temporarily install 00005 and 00006 mark them using the holes in the skin as a guide then flute as necessary etc. heres the part that has me concerned. at the intersection of 00005 and HS702 the skin has a prepunched hole that does not appear to line up with any surface to rivet to. basically the inboard portion of the HS702 flange has been cut away as per the detail in earlier steps. my fear is ive cut away to much, however it doesnt look as though i have when compared to the drawings and detail. the drawings also show the flange cut away in the same fashion. am i missing something? will this hole eventualy line up with something? hopefully ive explained this adequately

I believe it's a legacy hole. Modifications left it with no flange underneath.
If memory serves, it should get a small AN426AD3-3 just to fill the hole.
Make sure there is adequate clearance at the underlying flange for the shop head.

If it where I think it is . .

I just looked at the drawing - you might go look on Vans website at the service bulletins for the HS. You should be able to see from there how the previous versions of HS construction used that hole. This should confirm its "non use". Without a picture or drawing reference, it is hard to know for sure, but the SB should confirm for sure.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb014-01-31.pdf

Hopefully, I am on the same page as wirejock.

Last edited:
What Wirejock said. I completed the HS not that long ago and it is definitely a legacy hole. You can fill it with a rivet or anything else you can think of (chewing gum?) or just leave it be. It will eventually be covered by a fairing. Build on, there are many more exciting things to worry you in the HS :D

Last edited:
You'll also find various "tooling holes" in the sheet metal as you go on through the kit, these are holes punched by the factory to accurately line up the sheet metal for punching all the other holes and getting the cuts correct.

Back