What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solo flight poll

How many traning hour before your solo flight?

Votes: 61 65.6%

Votes: 11 11.8%

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • 20 or more

Votes: 13 14.0%

• Total voters

Waterobert

I am about to fly solo ! My instructor thinks that I am almost ready, all I need to do is to improve my radio skills. I think that my landings are still rough ,but he is ok with them. Right now I have about 17 hours and will get another 2-3 hours by the end of August. Should I go over 20 hours or I am already behind? I know that we all learn at different speed, just want know what is the average.

Last edited:
Your poll lacks a few numbers----------IIRC, I soloed around 6 or 8 hours.

I suspect if you also asked about when the person soloed, you would find the folks who soloed in the 60s or 70s got by with a lot less hours than folks who soloed in the last decade or two.

This has been hashed out to death over on the red and blue boards. The actual number is pretty meaningless and really isn't a good indicator by itself as to whether you're ready or not. Your CFI should know and that's the opinion that matters, not a bunch of internet quarterbacks.

Solo Hours

Ready to solo is not a number of hours, it is the mental readiness of you to be able to takeoff, deal with whatever happens in the air, and bring it back for a good landing. When you are confident of your ability, then you are ready.

The important point is...

The goal isn't to see how few hours it takes before you solo. The goal is to become a safe, proficient pilot. I soloed in 15.5 hours (17 days after I started). I took my check ride with 62.8 hours (4 months after I started). So what? These are just numbers that really don't matter. As a CFI I make sure my students have more than just the minimal training before they solo. I include the training required to allow them to fly to and land at different airports. This typically takes a two or three more lessons. But the advantage is that when they fly solo, they can go to other airports to practice and gain flying experience quicker.

The best advice I can give is to try to fly at least three or four times a week. This way you're not trying to remember what you did on the last flight. By flying often, you'll get you PPL quicker, with less hours and cost.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

I actually knew one guy with over 50. He never did get good and was an object of pity. It was sad. The variables of instruction, instructor, airport, aircraft, etc. make it moot....unless you're that guy. Don't stress, just fly.

Last edited:
Ready to solo is not a number of hours, it is the mental readiness of you to be able to takeoff, deal with whatever happens in the air, and bring it back for a good landing. When you are confident of your ability, then you are ready.

I agree with you but I would add one more thing:

Ready also means you've obtained the necessary muscle memory and small motor control.

I remember that once the airport "geezers" (said with utmost love and respect) started hounding me about how I was just about ready for SOLO, my performance went down considerably. I suddenly felt pressure of eyes watching. It was no longer about me learning naturally, it was about what other people thought! Finally I told them that I did not want to hear that "solo" word EVER AGAIN until it happened... they listened, and it happened a week or so later.

I spent 15 hours over a whole year of sporadic weekend lessons in a 1946 Taylorcraft on grass with no electrical system and an 82-year-old local legend of an instructor... the whole experience was PRICELESS. :eek: When you're ready, your CFI will boot you out of the nest. Try not to think about it. If you're not expecting it, then you won't have time to psych yourself out.

Congrats on getting ready to solo! Exciting stuff! I suspect many pilots remember their first solo. I remember mine.

Just know that the results of your poll are completely meaningless. Many factors go into when a student is ready to solo, including airspace considerations, weather, and instructor bias.

There's no prize for getting a license or doing a solo in the least amount of hours. I think the opposite; there is value in having a few more instruction hours. Those extra hours might very well mean that you're better prepared for whatever.

Good luck with the training!

It depends a lot on the environment too. At a flight school (rather than independent) they are ultra-conservative these days. A mishap can shut down a business. I had to do a checkride with the chief flight instructor before I could solo....not like it was 30 yrs ago. I dont know anyone at my flight school that soloed in under 10 hours...just not going to happen even if you are ready, it was usually more like 15-20 hrs.

Don't worry about the number, the worst thing you can do is compare yourself to everyone else. Just enjoy the experience...whether it is 10, 20 or 30 hrs doesnt matter, you're gonna love it!

KatieB

I too soloed in a Taylorcraft with no electrical system off an uncontrolled field, and my instructor was circa age 82. Where and when did this happen for you? For me, I was in high school in Portland at long-gone Evergreen airport near Vancouver, Washington.

Robert
RV-7

old days

Just found the old and first logbook...

7.2 hours before solo..35.2 for PPL checkride. Course.. that was in 1968.

Thank you for all the kind words. I do feel like I am ready, however, been 46 years old, I do see value in spending $160 for another hour of traning over taking extra risk.

Thank you for all the kind words. I do feel like I am ready, however, been 46 years old, I do see value in spending $160 for another hour of traning over taking extra risk.

OK story time. I soloed at 11hrs and took my checkride at 55hrs. I could have easily done the checkride at 45hrs but didn't feel ready. So I kept going up solo. My CFI saw me one day and asked what I was doing. She looked at my logbook and basically made me schedule the checkride while she watched. I'm not saying going up with the CFI is bad a thing if you really don't feel ready, I'm just saying you most likely are ready especially if the CFI thinks you are--you just don't have a warm and fuzzy about it which makes most folks uncomfortable--instinctually we're a risk averse lot. It's a big step, but sometimes you got to a take a deep breath, say WTF, and just do it.

How long to get there

I think it matters more how long it took you to get to your solo point. Someone that get 7 hrs in one week will more likely be ready to solo than a person that took 4 weeks to get 14 hrs. Its kind of like learning to ride a bike. If you try alot in one day you could do it, but if you try a little for four days you might still be trying.

Hey Robert,

Wow, I'm excited for you! I solo'd back in in 2006, but I can remember it as vividly as yesterday. No warning whatsoever....my instructor told me to kill the engine, hopped out on the taxiway with a handheld radio, and said, "You're ready. Give me three take-offs and landings." It was scary, thrilling, empowering, this whole flying thing with no safety net in the right seat.

The instructor knows. The training kicks in and you'll be fine.

Come by sometime and check out the -9A...glassing the windscreen now. Should be ready for the hangar move around the first of the year.

--Doug

I had 6.1 hrs. when I made my solo at the age of 16 in 1976. I took my private check ride with 40.1 hrs.(20 dual/20.1 solo)which was "the minimum" required then. Really means nothing, and I believe most flight schools and instructors lean towards 15-20 for solo, and more than minimum for check rides these days due to insurance and other factors. When I did my first long solo cross country, I was at a gas stop where another young pilot on a cross country was pacing nervously next to his plane..I asked him what was wrong, and he replied " next leg I have to land where there is a tower, and I have never really talked on a radio"! Hope he did OK, but that is why its good to learn at a controlled, sometime busy airport.

One thing that I did not consider when he said stop here in the middle of the field and got out, was that the 152 just got 200 + lbs lighter, yes I bounced the first one......the other two were fine, but man, it was a day I will never forget!

I too soloed in a Taylorcraft with no electrical system off an uncontrolled field, and my instructor was circa age 82. Where and when did this happen for you? For me, I was in high school in Portland at long-gone Evergreen airport near Vancouver, Washington.

Robert
RV-7

Nice! Mine was in 2002 in Rio Creek, Wisconsin. My instructor was Armond Ullmer. He received recognition from the DOT that year for 50 years as a flight instructor. The guy was amazing-- he was deaf as a post, so it was difficult having a conversation with him on the ground, but we never had any communication problems in the air, even without headsets.

Just found the old and first logbook...

7.2 hours before solo..35.2 for PPL checkride. Course.. that was in 1968.

Sounds like you went through AFROTC FIP (Flt Instruction Program).
Those hours were pretty typical as the AF would only contract for 33 hrs per student with the local FBO. I believe the requirement back then was 40 hrs for the PPL but the FAA would waiver the last 5. Surprisingly, the ROTC students would usually receive more hours than those that graduated from the Academy.

I would have soloed earlier, maybe 14-15 hours. On Friday my instructor said I'd probably solo next time out. On Monday the flight school was out of business. New school, new airport, new instructor and about 8 hours of "getting to know you" time later, I finally got signed off. Of course it only seemed like it mattered at that time... the only people who seem to care the least bit how many hours it takes to solo are pre-solo student pilots! :) Go forth and fly.

Oh, and I was 51.

Solo

You've received lots of good advise and stories so I will offer cogratulations in advance because I know you got this!:D
PP is one of the most challenging efforts you will ever accomplish and one of the most rewarding. Git 'er done!
And yes, I remember mine like yesterday. CFI said ok. Go for it.
I remember that 150 leaped off the runway and just as the tires left, I realized I was the only one who could get me back down safe. Pretty awesome day. Checkride was just as awesome. Holding my ticket was an amazing feeling.

True Story!

1941 T-Craft. Solo @ 9 hrs. September 1967, White Rock Airport.
Went for my PP check ride with 40 hrs. (I thought).

While planning X-country the examiner asked, "How many hours required to take the PP check ride?" I responded with "40.".... "How many hours do you have?".... "40!"...."Nope, there's a math error in your logbook. Did you log your time coming over here this morning?"...."No!"...."How long did it take you?"...."How much do I need?"....".6 hrs."...."It took me 45 minutes to get here!"...."That's what I figured. Let's go fly."

Last edited:
I don't think the number of hours to solo really means much. Try and put the pressure of it all out of your mind and focus on the airplane - the hours recorded in your logbook are not as important as the next one.

Best of luck.

Dan

It's Your Instructor's Call

The worst flight of my early training was the one before my first solo. I thought my instructor was being as mean as he could be. He nit picked everything - but as we were taxying in he told me to stop, climbed out and told me to take the Bulldog around the pattern on my own. (RAF Universities Air Squadron - a long time ago :))

If you solo at 1 hour or at 100 it doesn't mean anything. The question is, are you ready to solo? Everyone is different. There are many who soloed at <10 that shouldn't have and many who soloed at 20 that should have soloed at 10. Sounds like you are right where you should be. I'll bet you will solo soon. We'd like to hear about it so report back here when it happens.

Sounds like you went through AFROTC FIP (Flt Instruction Program).
Those hours were pretty typical as the AF would only contract for 33 hrs per student with the local FBO. I believe the requirement back then was 40 hrs for the PPL but the FAA would waiver the last 5. Surprisingly, the ROTC students would usually receive more hours than those that graduated from the Academy.

No. Plane old flight school at Tims Airpark in Austin, Tx. I believe back then a Part 41 school could waive the 40 hours.

25 years and 4 days ago I soloed with 10 hours.

Now, the stories I could tell you of what is like to sign off a student as a new CFI.......that is stressful. The first guy I signed off had to work WAY too hard.

25 years and 4 days ago I soloed with 10 hours.

Now, the stories I could tell you of what is like to sign off a student as a new CFI.......that is stressful. The first guy I signed off had to work WAY too hard.

I can imagine that, I am not sure if I am ready how is my CFI supposed to know. I just need to practice radio and just go for it. Thanks

Hey Robert,

Wow, I'm excited for you! I solo'd back in in 2006, but I can remember it as vividly as yesterday. No warning whatsoever....my instructor told me to kill the engine, hopped out on the taxiway with a handheld radio, and said, "You're ready. Give me three take-offs and landings." It was scary, thrilling, empowering, this whole flying thing with no safety net in the right seat.

The instructor knows. The training kicks in and you'll be fine.

Come by sometime and check out the -9A...glassing the windscreen now. Should be ready for the hangar move around the first of the year.

--Doug
Thanks Doug, I am so busy with studying, I had no idea tha there is so much to learn. Lol

I guess I've skewed the results of your poll. More than 20, but was waiting on Oke City aeromedical augury. Well into the post-solo cross country syllabus before getting my 3x 'round the patch.

I guess I've skewed the results of your poll. More than 20, but was waiting on Oke City aeromedical augury. Well into the post-solo cross country syllabus before getting my 3x 'round the patch.

Not a problem, I need more pilots who soloed with +20 hrs. lol

Some of you got it easy. My solo will not be taking off and landing at the airport. I will have to taxi to runway, take off, fly about 10 miles to the lake, get back and land. On top off that we have 3 airports in 10 mile radius.

My time to first solo was 20+ hours. My issue was ground fixation and neither myself or the instructor could figure it out. At the time I worked at Beech Aircraft with two great guys who were both ex-military pilots who pointed out to me what I was doing. The next day we headed over to Benton airport (now called Stearman Field) and I figured I would look at the far end of the airport vs the touchdown point. My prayer was the CFI would save us if I was going to do a bad landing. Much to my surprise was my new found sight picture of the landing phase and the ability to judge my height above the ground. My CFI was so excited about the perfect landing he yelled do it again, after 20+ hours of multiple landings on each approach. Every since then my landings have be good and when I have a bad landing I can trace it back to concentrating on hitting a specific point on touchdown. I have also talked to friends who parachute and this is a common issue for them also and they must look at the horizon to judge height above the ground.

Now I'm not stating to fixate on the far end of the runway, you should have your gaze alway scanning for anything such as items on the runway, uneven runway, etc..

Last edited:
Don't remember

Don't remember the exact number, but I do remember how my 60,000 hr instructor (Eddie Duffard) handled it. We went around a couple of times like it was a normal practice lesson then he grabbed his hand held radio, got out, and with no prior warning told me to take it around. My landing was long but OK. My feet were shaking as I held the brake peddles while Eddie climbed back in, but I didn't lose any sleep the night before. John

As a CFI I can say that the requirements to solo are different than they used to be. There is a higher expectation of knowledge prior to solo than there used to be. Your CFI will know when you are ready to solo. Don't rush anything and let your CFI handle the expectations. Likely if it takes you longer to solo, a firmer grasp on other things will accelerate other aspects of your training. Let your CFI do their job. Approach your private pilots license like you are planning to fly a 747. Attitude towards professionalism is everything.

Enjoy the ride and keep the dirty side down.

X

i only had 8 hours but that was a long time ago..
unfortunately times have changed and the regulations have also.. pre solo test are now the norm and a lot of young instructors are fearful to let students go solo without making sure every proceedure is flown practically to private pilot standards.

it is another item that is driving up cost. Are new students safer? I dont recall hearing about a lot of student accidents at solo even in the 60's or 70's..

Jack

9 hours

I wrote this about 7 years ago, and the costs have (predictably) gone up. but you get the idea.

http://myleftgonad.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-difficult-is-it-to-learn-to-fly-how.html

How Difficult Is It To Learn To Fly? How Much Does It Cost?​

I have been asked those questions, countless times, by my non-flying friends. There are no simple answers and, as always, your results may vary.

I have always felt that anyone who can drive a standard transmission automobile is far ahead on the learning curve when obtaining your pilot license. In a standard transmission you are using your left hand to steer (American drivers) and shifting with your right hand. Your left foot operates the clutch and right foot deals with brake and throttle. Lots going on, but most people who drive a standard shift don't really think about all that is going on. Flying isn't really too different.

In an airplane, your left hand is typically flying the airplane and your right hand is dealing with the throttle. Your feet handle steering and braking on the ground and the rudder in the air. Yes, you heard right...you steer with your feet on the ground.

On my very first lesson, Jerry (my instructor), let me taxi the plane out for takeoff. I knew that I was supposed to steer with my feet and at the first turn, I casually threw the control yoke to the right and freaked as the plane continued straight ahead forward. Old habits die hard. I pushed my toes down hard and the plane screeched to a halt. Oh, have to mention that unlike a car, a plane has 2 sets of brakes. There is a separate brake on each pedal that are operated by pushing at the top of the pedal with your toes (toe brakes). The left brake controls the left wheel and the right brake controls the right wheel. Being able to lock one wheel allows an airplane to pirouette around a single wheel.

The easiest part of flying is...well, flying. A plane is designed to fly. Hit the throttle and keep the plane in the center of the runway and it will basically fly itself off.

The hardest thing for me to learn was the landing. You are trying to do exactly opposite of what the plane was designed to do. Making a good landing seems to be the bane of both low time and high time pilots. The logical thing to do if coming in too high for a landing is to push the control yoke forward. Logical...no? Go out to your local airport and watch as pilots come in high and then shove the controls forward to dive at the runway.

Now, watch and see how far down the runway those pilots are when they finally touch down. What happened? They never learned that the control yoke is for speed control and the throttle is for altitude. When a pilot pushes forward on the control yoke, the speed increases, the air going over the wings speeds up, increasing lift and they have to burn off that excess speed and lift to touch down. The trick to a good landing is to have your speed set well before landing. Then, use the throttle to increase or decrease the rank of descent. I learned that and soloed after less than 9 hours (15 hours is typical).

Speaking of hours brings us to the topic of cost. Remember HOURS = COST = HOURS. So...we can't do much to control the cost of rental and instruction. Those are fixed costs. The only way to save money is to control the hours.

The FAA mandates in FAR 61.109 that a minimum of 40 hours of flight is required to obtain your pilot license. Of that, 20 hours has to be with and instructor. Typically, your instructor will cost as much, or more per hour than the plane you are renting. Now the typical pilot completes about 71 hours before obtaining his/her license. Given that the standard, going rate for 20 hours of dual and 20 hours of solo runs about $4,462.83, you can see how additional hours would greatly increase the cost of learning to fly.

Here is what I did. I walked into my local FBO and plopped a couple of thousand dollars and told them to, ?let me know when it runs out.? I took my first lesson on January 2nd. I soloed on January 9th. Again, with slightly less than 9 hours.

Think about when you were learning to drive a car. If you only drove for an hour or so, every month or so, how much would you retain between lessons? Not too much. By shoving all of your training into the first month, the retention rate goes way up, your skills develop quickly and you take less time to solo. Remember HOURS = COST = HOURS.

Once you have soloed, you are flying alone and paying less than half of what you were paying with the extra body on board.

The day I went for my check ride (July 9th) to get my license, I had exactly 20 hours of solo and only 19.4 hours of dual. I had to taxi Jerry, verrrry slowly, down to the run-up area and wait for that last .6 hours to click off the Hobbs. My check ride was smooth and was a real blast. The FAA examiner said, ?I'm impressed!? and that was it.

So, the question is up to you...how much does it cost to learn to fly? $4,462.83 or $6,350.83? If you do it right, it can be affordable, fun and easy.

5.6 under a marginal vfr ceiling. Still alive after 40 years so I guess I was ready for the rules and cfi guidelines of the time.

Last edited:
I soloed in 12 hours. I was a late bloomer. But later I made up for it. I got my 40th hour on the flight to my check ride.

15 hours

I can't add too much to this discussion.
One thing I have figured out, especially now that I teach PP ground school...
It amazes me on how little I actually knew when I soloed for the first time.
How little I actually knew when I did my first solo cross country.
And how little I knew when I got my license.
Being a pilot is a non stop learning experience.
Take your time, enjoy it!

Me too. Wally Olsen. $12 an hour back then...

Robert
RV-7

Back