What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's by country

prkaye

Well Known Member
According to Vans' Hobbs meter, the next milestone will be 9,000 completed RV's, coming up soon. It was less than 6000 when I started building, so I would say that the rate is accelerating.
It would be interesting to know RV completions by country. Obviously the USA would be #1 by a significant margin, and I would guess that maybe Canada is #2, but it would be interesting to see these stats. Anybody have any data?

I've done some digging on RV-10s - haven't looked at the other models.

There are a lot of RV-10s in Brazil. The data below is compiled from public registration databases, and I'm sure I'm not counting 100% of the planes worldwide. Van's current RV-10 count stands at 714.

USA: 441
Brazil: 254
Australia: 36
Canada: 28
UK: 10
New Zealand: 1
South Africa: 1
Switzerland: 1
Ireland: 1
Netherlands: 1
Poland: 1

Total: 775

Phil - you might want to see your ophthalmologist... the post above made specific reference to RV10's only! :D

There's another RV10 being constructed in the Ottawa area, so the count is increasing, slowly...

311 flying RVs in the UK including 7 RV10s according to the UK RV site (scroll down to the Hobbs).
Some of those would have been imported as complete aircraft.

296 Canadian RV

From what I saw on the Transport Canada website, we have 296 RV-x currently flying. Can't wai to make a +1 to this number..........;)

Australia: 493 RV's of all types on the CASA register. Allowing for a few registered but not yet flying, plus a handful of others that are on the recreational aviation RAAus register, call it 500 all up.
Looking at it another way, 500 RV's in a population of 23 million is about 1 RV per 46,000 people. Assuming the US has about 7000 RV's and a population of 315 million, the ratio is about 1 in 45,000. Line ball.

Last edited:
482 Registered in Canada under the common name "Van's", so about the same as Australia.

More Canadians enjoying RVs

Data fields aren't too consistant in Transport Canada's web search... I figured we had more so searched some alternate possible model names & got the total up to 394 & know there are more RVs still because for one Transport didn't list a single RV-8A... I've flown one! My quick results
RV-3 - 19
RV-4 - 76
RV-6&A - 128
RV-7&A - 60
RV-8 - 25 plus the 8As out there somewhere
RV-9&A - 68
RV-10 - 17
RV-12 - 1 !!!
Also a number of builders chose to call their planes other than the Vans model #, example 'Foll-6' so is impossible to know the true number of RVs in the Great White North!

With a little creativity with the search engine on the transport canada website I got the following for Canada

RV-3 - 19
RV-4 - 71
RV-6 - 92
RV-6A - 71
RV-7 35
RV-7A - 56
RV-8 - 43
RV-8A - 5
RV-9 - 6
RV-9A - 56
RV-10 - 24
RV-12 - 1
RV-14 - 0

Total - 479

dug up a few figures for Switzerland:

18 active RV's on the swiss register, trend is pointing upwards :)

Breakdown by model (flying / under construction):
RV-12: 2 / 4
RV-10: 2 / 4
RV-9A: 0 / 0
RV-9: 0 / 0
RV-8A: 0 / 0
RV-8: 3 / 6
RV-7A: 3 / 6
RV-7: 2 / 6
RV-6A: 2 / 0
RV-6: 1 / 0
RV-4: 3 / 2
RV-3: 0 / 0

about 8 million population.
1462 light airplanes (MTOM < 2.2t).
approx 8700 fixed wing pilots (PPL + CPL + ATPL, without HEL)

1 RV per 444'444 inhabitants. ;-) (long ways to go, factor ten, to get near U.S. or australian levels!)
1 RV per 480 pilots
1.25% of small planes are RVs.

we're trailing a bit, i suppose ;-)

to look beyond RVs:
about 6 pilots per light airplane, although a significant portion of airline pilots (2200) likely do not participate in recreational flying.
1 light airplane per 5470 inhabitants.
230 experimentals, by definition in the < 2.2t category, apprx. 16% of light airplanes.

Last edited:
Looked up our friendly neighbours over in New Zealand just out of curiosity: 62 RV's (plus a few Rockets), population just over 4.5 million (it would be higher except that all the others are here :D), so about 1 RV per 72,000. Pretty respectable numbers for a small country surrounded by water.

I think what would be interesting would be to compile a list of all the countries that have an RV on the register. Has this ever been done? I wonder how many really out of the way places have an RV flying.

France

In France, 55 RV's on the national registry (10 RV4, 11 RV6/6A, 15 RV7/7A, 13 RV8/8A and 6 RV9A).
There are around 70 RV's still being built.

And the Vans hobbs meter is only as accurate as the number who bother to tell them they are flying.

It is likely to be a LOT more. You would need to add up the registers of all the likely countries.

About 500 here and it seems like another 500 in the build phase?.lotta kist have come down here in the last few years.

Australia CASA VH register only

As of today from the CASA register (excludes RAAUS aircraft) broken down is:

F1 Rocket 10
H Rocket 2

RV-3 3
RV-4 42
RV-6/6A 162
RV-7/7A 161
RV-8/8A 41
RV-9/9A 35
RV-10 40

Total RVs (excl Rockets) - 484

As of today from the CASA register (excludes RAAUS aircraft) broken down is:

F1 Rocket 10
H Rocket 2

RV-3 3
RV-4 42
RV-6/6A 162
RV-7/7A 161
RV-8/8A 41
RV-9/9A 35
RV-10 40

Total RVs (excl Rockets) - 484

Plus 9 RV-12's on the VH register, of which 6 are currently flying. :)

I was just commenting about this with someone earlier. With the significant number of -10's being built in Brazil, it would be nice to hear more from the Brazilians about their experience, mods, etc. I have only seen an occasional tidbit here or there. The rest of the world doesnt seem to have a problem connecting here. Kind of strange.

It was probably a few years ago now, but Gus had mentioned that 2/3'rds of Van's engine orders at that time were going to Brazil!

Figures for Brazil:
(http://www2.anac.gov.br/aeronaves/cons_rab.asp):

RV-3 0
RV-4 6
RV-6 15
RV-7 92
RV-8 12
RV-9 209
RV-10 338
RV-12 5

Total 677 (includes an RV-6 and an RV-7 that just show up as `Vans' in the register).
Interestingly, RV-10's make up almost exactly half of the total.
Also 9's outnumber 6's and 7's combined by almost 2:1 - very unusual.

Estimated current population just over 202 million, so about 1 RV per 299,000.

Last edited:
For Brazil aren't most, if not all, of the RV10s being built by one company in a commercial manner. I recall the number built last year was multiple hundreds. I am surprised the end user market there is that large but Brazil is a fast growing and large economy.

I never thought I'd say this but I wonder if Vans has become too dominant. The barrier to entry for competition has been set quite high. A guy in his garage doesn't stand a chance. So you have to do other categories - like Bearhawk for example.

Not that I suggest anyone do anything about it. The market has a way of sorting these things out.

What about South Africa?

Waiting for someone to dig up that info. I know of at least two, since the guy who bought my project finished it and is flying, and he already had an RV that he had purchased flying. Like Brazil, there's no 51% rule there, so professional building and/or assistance is common.

RV's in Zimbabwe

There are a lot up RV's flying in South Africa. I don't have the numbers but I believe it is something like 100. In Zimbabwe we now have flying:
RV 6 - 1
RV 7 - 1
RV 12 - 1

We also have two 6's and two 7's (one of them mine :)) under construction.

John

For Brazil aren't most, if not all, of the RV10s being built by one company in a commercial manner. I recall the number built last year was multiple hundreds. I am surprised the end user market there is that large but Brazil is a fast growing and large economy.

From what i read, this commercial-manner venture in Brazil has a lot to do with protectionist import taxes / high VAT for completed aircraft, whereas importing the kits and building them in brazil has comparative cost and tax advantages. so these 10's are also cannibalizing the "regular" cessnas, cirri and pipers...

:) According to LT, as of 31 July 2014 on Norwegian register:

RV-3: 0
RV-4: 10
RV-6: 7
RV-7: 4
RV-8: 2
RV-9: 0
RV-10: 0
RV-12: 0

Total: 23

Back