What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considerations for flying before painting the exterior

Brett H

My plan is to figure out where I am going to get my project painted after flying it.

My biggest concern is whether the translucent fiberglass pieces (i.e., cowling, tailcone fairing and wingtip lights) need to be sealed / prepped before flying. This concern comes from observing when attaching the voltage regulator NACA duct to the cowling that some epoxy wicked through the cowling to the exterior of the cowling. So, cowling is slightly “porous”. Thus, my concern is that when time comes for painting that it will not be possible to properly clean it before painting. Is this a valid concern?

Anything else that I should be considering?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN

I’d be more worried about the oil accumulation on the belly. A few drops spread out, and wicked into the rivet holes is very difficult to remove.

The guy that helped me paint our plane said if i fly it first, he wouldn’t help me.

I've done this both ways, fly then paint and paint then fly. While you do need to spend some extra time cleaning if you fly first, it is not big deal.

If you fly then paint, you must prep and prime the fiberglass parts. Don't forget the inside of the cowl as well.

Carl

If u get it painted at an aircraft paint shop, they should be able to deal with either route. I flew for 100 hours/10 months before flying it back to CA for painting.
I Painted the cowling, canopy frame and tail fairings with grey primer. Left the wingtips untouched. I’m sure there was some oil on the bottom. The paint shop prepped & painted it like an AIRPLANE and it looks bout as good as the day they finished.

Back