What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS Questions

PilotRPI

1- on the HS and VS, they show holes to leave open to attach fairings. I will match drill them, but do I dimple them, or do the attachments later use round heads instead of flat?

2- Reference the pictures below. I need to make a cutout for the elevator control arms to move through a spot in the rear HS spar. The cutout is the hatched section in the second picture. They offer a full-scale drawing of the hinge and horns, but how much clearance do i need around them and the spar? Trying to determine how much to trim widthwise on the spars. Looked ahead in the plans but couldn't find anything.

1F383317-0B9D-4B5C-81EC-8FB72D1511BC_zpsn5pvwnpp.jpg

57211be9-9d81-4265-a814-0051ab438581_zpsezmyroye.jpg

Last edited:
#1 Just leave them open for now. Match drilling won't matter. But, don't dimple for now. Later, you'll be reaming out those holes and installing nut plates.

Last edited:
HS Cutouts Rear Spar

I hope the following will help.

The rectangular hole in the Aft Deck F-714 (drawing 26) where the elevator horns pass through is 2 inches wide.

On my aircraft the dimension across the elevator horns as fitted is a fraction under 1 3/4 inches which gives approximately 1/8 clearance on both sides of the horns to the hole in F-714.

The flange on the rear spar is 5/8 inch. I removed it to a depth of 1/2 inch which was more than I needed to have done.

My suggestion is to remove at least 1 1/16 inch on each side from the join (i.e. 2 1/8 total) and to a depth of 3/8 inch. This will give you a small margin to the front and sides of the rectangular hole in F-714.

The elevator Down Stop F-711E (drawing 27A) on my aircraft protrudes rearwards from the front face of the rectangular hole in F-714 by at least 1/32 inch. This limits the forward movement of the elevator horns.

Good luck with your building.

Gordon

Thanks guys. Those are very helpful. Hopefully my pics are showing now as well. They were there when I first posted, and just put in new links and they are showing again.

Back