-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:27 PM

I have the identical fuse blocks in my tip up RV-7. My DAR asked me about inflight fuse replacement and we had the conceptual discussion identical to the above (I'm airline too). He squirmed a little bit and finally said "I'll bet you could reach under there and get at a fuse in flight." I said "yep, I'll bet I could." The right check mark went in the right little box on his list, and on we went. I have CBs for the PMags and alternator field, and nothing else. No equipment on the plane I'm willing to start a fire to get back.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:31 PM

Yep , fuses on mine . Also a Boeing guy !
Marc
Old 03-06-2021, 11:08 AM

I am with Nick on this one. Use fuses and if one blows, figure it out on the ground. Several years ago, I experienced an electrical fire in my -4. I was fat dumb and happy flying over the middle of nowhere Arkansas on a beautiful clear day when in an instant, I was overwhelmed by an electrical burning smell/smoke as I saw my volt and ammeter going crazy. I shut off the battery and alternator and everything stopped. Looked at my IPad and found the nearest airport and landed uneventfully. The beauty of GPS with battery powered device (IPhone/IPad/Android) is you can navigate anywhere without ships power. So the moral to this is that I donít believe there is a reason to reset a CB or change a fuse in flight and risk a fire. If you fly IFR, then then your EFIS battery backup should be sufficient to get you into VMC. It turned out that my voltage regulator crapped out. It was tied to a CB but for whatever reason, it didnít trip. One caveat; I have an O-360 with EMags that are self generating. I am not sure what the effect of no power would be on a fuel injected engine.

Zem
Weatherford, TX
Old 08-27-2021, 01:05 PM

Hereís the panel on the -4 I bought last year. The late 80ís vintage definitely shows. I added the JPI and the empty tray used to be a Narco Comm that had the tuning gear break. Iíve been brainstorming how to do something more modern without cutting but I suspect Iíll end up getting a new blank cut when I finally upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	098809B2-138F-419F-8242-ECB7B0F5C3E5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	15114  
Old 08-27-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
brainstorming how to do something more modern without cutting
Well, good friend Marcel upgraded his -4 with a very similar lookin panel I built, as u rightly say, in the 90’s... with dual G5s, sensors, AV-20, and, gotta say, looks pretty

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 08-27-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
Well, good friend Marcel upgraded his -4 with a very similar lookin panel I built, as u rightly say, in the 90’s... with dual G5s, sensors, AV-20, and, gotta say, looks pretty
It’s something I’ve considered as a stop-gap until I’m ready to tackle the panel as a full project. Cutting out the top row of 3” instruments gives room for two G5s or two GRT Minis side-by-side. Since the EDM displays RPM I can ditch the mechanical tach in favor of the MGL navcom. Add in a heated pitot and it would appear to be a very budget conscious IFR legal panel.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:36 AM

Dynon SkyView suite in the RV-4