- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:52 AM

says 450W = 37.5A on 12V

Thirsty app, but doable if you have a good power source.

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-08-2021, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
says 450W = 37.5A on 12V

Thirsty app, but doable if you have a good power source.
The unit draws 8 amps of power. the 450w is the cooling capacity. which is only 1535 BTU. I've looked at these units as well. It would easily fit in the forward baggage compartment, but the cooling capacity is well below what would be needed under a canopy. The units design is for small rooms that will constantly recycle the cooling air and over time step the temperature down. It still may be worth a try just to get some cold air in the face. Just keep in mind, with this unit you will need a way to provide a source of cooling air to the condenser, and also a way to exhaust that air overboard.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:57 AM

thanks flyboykelly, I stand corrected... and would have thought they’d use the BTU as a unit for the cooling work done.

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-08-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Living out in Australia now and originally from Scotland the weather gets proper hot here and under the RV8 canopy I imagine it will be a tad warm. Has anyone installed any form of air conditioning unit in their aircraft?
Yep. It's called an "IO-390". Extra cost and weight is about the same as AC, but a lot more fun.

I was 390 before 390 was cool.

Pun intended
Old 01-08-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboykelly View Post
The unit draws 8 amps of power. the 450w is the cooling capacity. which is only 1535 BTU. I've looked at these units as well. It would easily fit in the forward baggage compartment, but the cooling capacity is well below what would be needed under a canopy. The units design is for small rooms that will constantly recycle the cooling air and over time step the temperature down. It still may be worth a try just to get some cold air in the face. Just keep in mind, with this unit you will need a way to provide a source of cooling air to the condenser, and also a way to exhaust that air overboard.
I have researched these type units for my 10. If you look, you will also find 2500 watt units (designed for truck cabs) that will put out around 7-8000 BTU's and draw around 80-90 amps at 12 volts after inefficient conversion to 24 volts. They are around 45 pounds and you can find a 10 series alternator that will fit our cowls and put out 100 amps. IMO, This style if far too big to fit in an 8 though. They are 2 part units - Motor/Cond and Evap/Fan

I agree that 450 W would barely be noticeable in an 8 that has not seen serious effort to reduce external air intrusion.

Last edited by lr172 : 01-08-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboykelly View Post
The unit draws 8 amps of power. the 450w is the cooling capacity. which is only 1535 BTU.
Where did you find the 8A number or am I that blind?
2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 01-08-2021, 09:32 AM

Default cool shirt?

Excuse slight thread drift... anyone tried the cold water cool shirts? I think Doug posted something a while back about it working great but can't find it and then I don't think it was incorporated into his normal flying.

Pitts S2C purchased and flying
Pitts S1C bought and sold
Rv4-bought and sold x2
F-1 Rocket bought and sold
" live each day like it was your last,
One day you will be right"

Old 01-08-2021, 09:41 AM

Don't forget that ACs in RVs still take a while to cool the cabin ... so you're still going to have a sweaty wifey unless you get in, crank it up, cool it down, shut it down, get the wifey loaded, start it up and go
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 01-08-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
Where did you find the 8A number or am I that blind?
https://www.rigidhvac.com/micro-dc-aircon-12v

look under working amps.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:36 AM

Default Cool shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanrene View Post
Excuse slight thread drift... anyone tried the cold water cool shirts? I think Doug posted something a while back about it working great but can't find it and then I don't think it was incorporated into his normal flying.
I use a cool shirt in my race car on very hot days. It works well, but it’s a hassle and I doubt it would be something you’d want to do routinely. You have to load up a cooler with ice, put on the shirt, hook up the hoses, then undo everything after you use it. Then you have to clean the shirt and put a chemical into the lines to prevent mold. The shirt isn’t trivial to remove when it gets wet with sweat and condensation. The tubing makes it stiff and it sticks to your skin.

I have often thought about the forced air through a cooler system for my airplane. I think it would be much more practical than a cool shirt.

-Andy