Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Clearly two different camps here. Whatever level of Gee Whiz you choose to build (low or high, for your own good reasons), just be sure you have a way to avoid blowing the starter or ring gear off your motor by inadvertently touching the wrong button.

And keep in mind that without proficiency (training and perfect practice), all the little details of function become a whole 'nother ball O bees when the stuff hits the fan or you can't see due to smoke or injury.

Just sayin' ... be careful out there.

Cheers
I am in the 'starter on the stick' camp in my Harmon Rocket. I use the existing master switch to enable the button on the stick as shown on this diagram: http://www.vx-aviation.com/sprocket/...s-2/MASTER.pdf

Sarting is done with the master in the ALT position. After start, switching the master to ON disables the starter.

V
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
On my -8, itís really easy to hold the stick back between my legs during engine start.
When you turn into an old man and your legs get skinny, you'll find your knobby knees collide before your thighs come together
Old 10-12-2021, 08:24 AM

Totally unnecessary in my opinion!

Hudson, WI
president, Twin Cities RV Builders Group
RV-4, sold
RV-7 completed and flying N722DW, 930 hours
Based Lake Elmo, MN (21D)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:23 AM

Default Not where I thought this thread would go . . .

Surprising (to me) that the stick-start option has foundation in a solid safety aspect and the added unintended-start failure mode can be (should be) mitigated by design.

Needing 4 hands for the hot start juggling act in my -7 leaves the stick low on the list of being handled. We know, and have seen the video, of a full flap RV8 nose over in an airshow line-up for the smoke show. It can happen.

RV-7
Old 10-12-2021, 03:46 PM

"Hey Siri, airplane on deck, start the engine!"

A boy can dream, can't he?
Old 10-12-2021, 06:50 PM

BillL - I’ve seen that happen here once, engine had a bulk strip & prop replaced. Then he DID IT AGAIN ! Stupid is, stupid does.
The nose over at start is one of the idiosyncrasies of a tail dragger IF you are not paying attention NOT trying to start a war over this - just pointing out the obvious for most of us.

Last edited by jakej : 10-12-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:08 PM

I'm in the start switch on the stick camp for taildraggers. I have the infinity stick grips and I configured it where 2 buttons need to be pressed simultaneously for start. It's the pinky and a top switch that is an awkward move that I can't imagine pressing both accidentally.
(started: Feb 2002 --> Completed: May 2016)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:10 PM

My RV-8 came with an Infinity grip with all the buttons. Start, flaps, autopilot disconnect, PTT. I really didn't like the looks of it and thought it was overdone and frankly silly. Then I started using it. The start button has become my favorite item on the stick. It really makes things easy. The system has an "arming" switch on the panel for the stick start button and the standard key switch can also be used stand-alone for start. I used the key switch at first but transitioned to the stick start button after a while. Then a couple of buddies and myself went out to Prattville, AL to buy an RV-4 with a hot-rod IO-360 on it. The first guy that started it almost got the prop and I can't figure out to today how he didn't. Quite impressionable how fast it can happen. I haven't used the key switch since. I honestly don't remember even how I got the key start to work using the mixture "sweep" method requiring one whole hand while the other holds the stick back.

As an aside the flap switch on the stick is my second favorite, even more so than the PTT. Nothing like planting the mains and with the flick of a thumb have the flaps start retracting.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Surprising (to me) that the stick-start option has foundation in a solid safety aspect and the added unintended-start failure mode can be (should be) mitigated by design.

Needing 4 hands for the hot start juggling act in my -7 leaves the stick low on the list of being handled. We know, and have seen the video, of a full flap RV8 nose over in an airshow line-up for the smoke show. It can happen.
Agree.
Start on stick here as well. With a disable DPST switch on panel and an "ignition enabled" annunciation via discrete on the EFIS
Simple and idiot proof.
The way to go for an injected TD IMHO.
Sydney, AUS
Old 10-19-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
When you turn into an old man and your legs get skinny, you'll find your knobby knees collide before your thighs come together
Sounds like you skipped leg day at the gym. Or don't eat enough blueberry pancakes!