Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2021, 08:29 AM

Default Start button on a stick

I have had my start button on my infinity grip for over 11 years now. I have had zero problems with this setup. We have in my group of guys that have RVs over 7 planes with it. I have flaps on the stick also, and love it.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:00 AM

Another option would be a switch on the panel to disable the switch on the stick after start.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 10-10-2021, 09:25 AM

Iíve had the start sw both ways and definitely prefer it on the stick with a starter arming sw on the panel. With fuel injection, I have to use the left hand on mixture. Putting button on the stick makes it easy to hold up elevator while starting and the arming sw eliminates activating starter while engine is running, just as long as you remember to sw to off after start.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:14 AM

I decided to go ahead and wire it up to the pilot stick since I didnít want to have to go back in later. I have a terminal block mounted below the seat area where I tie the common stick signals together. I ran the 12v that is required for the start button to there. Then if I want to disable the function later Iíll just disconnect it there.

I have an Infinity stick grip. I used the lowest switch which is difficult for me to reach for the starter switch. That way Iím not as likely to bump it.

I was on the fence about the stick start function but I think this option works pretty well.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 10-10-2021, 12:16 PM

Default Bad ideas create bad results

OK this is one way to have a bad day. If you've ever seen what a starter looks like after it was hooked up to an engine turning 3,000. You would NEVER do this. Seen a few. Ya I know it is only a momentary switch. They can fail.
Not my idea of a good idea.
Just my three cents worth
Art
Old 10-10-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwaldal@gmail.com View Post
OK this is one way to have a bad day. If you've ever seen what a starter looks like after it was hooked up to an engine turning 3,000. You would NEVER do this. Seen a few. Ya I know it is only a momentary switch. They can fail.
Not my idea of a good idea.
Just my three cents worth
Art
Or better yet after someone gets whacked with the prop when it cranks accidently...

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-10-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Hey guys.

I'm seriously considering putting a starter button on the pilot stick grip.

For those of you with a IO390 in an RV7, how necessary/convenient is it to have the stick back during start? Yeah, I know that it's always good form to do that, but is it a case where you're gonna immediately nose plant if that stick slips out from between your knees on an oopsie 1200 rpm hot start?

I've always been a proponent of the KISS principle, especially with gadgets, but I can see some real value here in this case, and I don't see why I couldn't run one in parallel with a panel mount push button and a starter arm safety somewhere. to prevent inadvertent button pushing.

I'm not at that point yet, but just starting to look at electrical planning and I'm looking for opinions and experience form those who have gone before.
Terry, I can't offer an opinion on the necessity of holding the stick back, but I sympathise with your thinking, and desire to simplify. I eventually went with a start button mounted dead centre of the panel above the prop control. In this position I can push the start button with my hand on either the throttle or mixture. I really like this, and hot starts (IO360-M1B) have been very simple, my right hand can do everything necessary while the left just holds the stick back. I also wired it so the start button is only enabled if the mags are correctly confgured and a start enable switch is on, just in case someone mistakes it for a TOGA button or something.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:47 PM

The start arm switch is hidden. The "starter armed" warning light (a flashing LED) ensures I don't forget to turn it off. The relay means no significant current at tiny grip switch.

Right hand, stick back and start command. Left hand, throttle, mixture, purge valve.

About 1000 hours now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Start Arm Circuit.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	16963  
Old 10-10-2021, 01:51 PM

Why put an extra switch on the stick grip for something you are only going to use once every flight. I don't understand why builders incorporate so many functions on the stick. It would seem that PTT and trim would suffice.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:42 PM

Jake, I tend to agree with you. Not much driver for it with an -A model, or a carbed 360. Other applications make more sense.

Circa 2007, there were very few 390/metal Hartzell RV-8s. I knew the inflight CG could easily reach the forward limit, but I had no idea if, or how easily, a throttle burst might raise the tail with the brakes locked. So, always stick back for cranking, per best practice.

Constant flow injection adds some additional hand manipulation. For example, the average quick turn is mixture ICO to stop, then ease mixture forward slowly while cranking, a mixture sweep lean to rich. If flooded, the classic "flood it, WOT to crank" is a rich to lean sweep, with the potential for a bunch of RPM if fumbled.

Either way, wiring crank on the grip was easier than growing a third hand.