Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2021, 06:54 PM

Default Wing installation to fuselage

My 8 QB fuselage fits in my 2 car garage but space is limited. Would like to keep my project at home for as long as possible. I'm not ready yet but am wandering if the wings can be installed at home. For those who have installed them, can the wings be installed outdoors with all the rigging, alignment, & ancillary work accomplished, then removed so the project can moved back into the garage? Is this practical?
Old 10-05-2021, 07:49 PM

Default Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv8bill View Post
My 8 QB fuselage fits in my 2 car garage but space is limited. Would like to keep my project at home for as long as possible. I'm not ready yet but am wandering if the wings can be installed at home. For those who have installed them, can the wings be installed outdoors with all the rigging, alignment, & ancillary work accomplished, then removed so the project can moved back into the garage? Is this practical?
Totally. As long as the fuse can be leveled both pitch and roll. No problem
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:20 AM

Thanks Larry, My driveway is level enough that I can add blocks to ensure everything else is level. I probably have enough room to install one wing at a time inside my garage. Again, is this practical and worth the effort? Cold weather is coming!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:45 AM

It took 2 days of measuring and calculating to be sure, but I was actually able to mount wings and tail feathers in my basement!!!! It looked pretty crazy, but it worked. I had just enough room between the wall and the wingtips for it to be practical. Talk about limited space! I'll try to find the pics.

I'd suggest you make sure it's not doable in the garage. I'm sure many more skilled folks have gotten the wing mounting and rigging done in a day. But not me. I did not want to rush it.

The HS needs to be on for some measurements for the wing mounting.

There's a lot of very detailed and important work (incidence being the most critical) to be done. For the actual mounting I measured, read, re-read, measured some more, for the better part of a week before I actually drilled any holes.

The point is, I would be prepared to have it in your driveway for a while.
N446PH RV8 (reserved)
PA-25 Pawnee Glider Tow Pilot (volunteer)
CallAir A-9 Glider Tow Pilot (volunteer)

Last edited by phapp : 10-06-2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:48 AM

My driveway is level enough that I can add blocks to ensure everything else is level. I probably have enough room to install one wing at a time inside my garage. Again, is this practical and worth the effort? Cold weather is coming![/quote]

If you assemble both wings to the fuselage outside and after getting it aligned, drill the holes for the rear spar, it is then set. You can take it inside and add one wing a time and do the rest.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:46 AM

Smile

Thanks. My wife and I are competing for garage space. I certainly have the lions share, but it will only accommodate one wing at a time.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:54 AM

One thing you may be able to do is turn the fuse perpendicular to the garage door and mount one wing sticking out the garage door. This is helpful because your garage floor is probably much more level than your driveway. Also, you can mount the “inside” wing the night before doing all the rigging, and just mount the outside wing the next day.

If you do this, pull the breaker any time you have a wing positioned under the garage door.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 AM

There is one builder in Socal who mounted the wings in the driveway but was able to push the whole plane inside his garage by positioning the wing diagonally to the corners. I have a small garage so I will do the initial wing fitting and rear-spar drilling in my driveway.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 10-06-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Forgive me

Forgive the question. I'm building a Rocket (based on an RV-4), not an eight.

Do you have to set sweep, incidence, etc. and determine fore/aft attach points or are those preset/predrilled/etc on your kits?

I ask because the fuse structures aren't that rigid. Wouldn't the asymmetric load of a single wing install create issues?

Sincere question from someone with no familiarity. For my benefit, obviously. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemasm View Post
Forgive the question. I'm building a Rocket (based on an RV-4), not an eight.

Do you have to set sweep, incidence, etc. and determine fore/aft attach points or are those preset/predrilled/etc on your kits?

I ask because the fuse structures aren't that rigid. Wouldn't the asymmetric load of a single wing install create issues?

Sincere question from someone with no familiarity. For my benefit, obviously. Thanks in advance.
I think it would be best to have both wings mounted when you rig the wings and drill the rear spar which sets incidence and sweep. You probably could do it one wing at a time, but I think the risk of messing it up would increase.
2019(?) RV-10