Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2021, 06:11 PM

Default RV 10 Stock Tire Wear

Why are the stock tires asymmetrical with that weak bulge on the outside of the tire? I have seen older threads that mention this condition described below.

I understand a little bit of camber, but when the wheel is off the ground, the camber/toe angle seems a bit much, since after 120 hrs both sides (not the tread) show cord, and needed replacement. The initial landing is taken on the outside of the tread, and there is no way to adjust suspension on the 10, except to go with symmetrical tires like the GY Flight II or Flight III. At least you can flip these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV10-Tire.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	16481  

Last edited by Jesse23 : 09-29-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default High wear

I don't know if I have seen or experienced that much wear after 120 hrs. It does appear that something is different. Camber? Toe in? Tire pressure?
Definitely worth some investigating to make sure things were assembled correctly.

I rotated my first set of stock tires from Van's at 230 hrs and then proceeded to get another couple hundred hours out of them before switching to Desser retreads.

RV-10 N104XP (1280 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:07 PM

Happened to me once early on with the RV-10. I found the right tire brake dragging, caused by the brake piston O ring being rolled. New O ring and new tires solved the problem.

Side note: I now carry replacement brake caliper O rings, brake pads, a master cylinder rebuild kit and an inner tube in my on board spares kit.
Carl

Last edited by Carl Froehlich : 09-30-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:08 PM

Did you rotate the tires. Left straight across to right (and visa versa) so the inboard wear is now outboard. Best way to get longevity out of your tires. I switched mine across after the second year. I use the Dresser tire retreads and this works out well.

And yes Bob is correct. The tires needs to be removed from the rim and switched to do it. Not a big deal to do. But it will definitely balance out the tire wear.

Last edited by togaflyer : 10-01-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
Did you rotate the tires. Left straight across to right (and visa versa) so the inboard wear is now outboard. Best way to get longevity out of your tires. I switched mine across after the second year.
This doesnít work, because the brakes are always inboard. You have to take the tire off the rim, flip it, put it back together.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
Did you rotate the tires. Left straight across to right (and visa versa) so the inboard wear is now outboard. Best way to get longevity out of your tires. I switched mine across after the second year.
I donít think you can flip inside to outside on the stock asymmetrical tires. The wear was identical on each side. With the new GY II, Iíll be able to flip inside/outside, since the tire is symmetrical.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:20 PM

Iím not sure what you mean by assymetrical tires? We routinely flip tires to even the wear, though the wear in your case is quite extreme. I replaced my original tires at 500 hrs. TT.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner View Post
Iím not sure what you mean by assymetrical tires? We routinely flip tires to even the wear, though the wear in your case is quite extreme. I replaced my original tires at 500 hrs. TT.
The profile of the tire on the outside (where the wear is in my pic) is dramatically different than the inside (brake side). Because of this difference, you canít remove the tire, remove the brake rotor, flip tire and put the tire back on the sane side.

My Goodyear Flight II replacement tires will allow that, since the profile of the tire is the same on the outside as it is on the inside. I hope this helps. If I had a pic of looking straight at the tire from fore to aft or aft/fore, it would be clear how the profile changes creating an asymmetrical profile. Car and most ga plane tires are symmetrical.

I am puzzled as to the wear was identical on the other side. Luckily we had removed the wheel pants to add a few lbs of air when we noticed. We flew to pick up 2 new tires and felt the tire go down at the end of the runway before turning.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:37 AM

Default Pressure too low

I think you are simply running these tires at too low a pressure. I had more or less the same years back and running them at higher pressures almost completely solved the uneven wear. I would recommend 3.5 Bar which is 50 Psi. But it is still a good idea to rotate them on the rims during your annual.
http://www.rvbits.com
RV10 - ZU-XOX - (Flying)
RV7A - ZU-JRV - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-JVR - (Written off)
RV7 - ZU-LOL - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-RVI - (Flying)
RV7A - ZU-MER (Bought back)
RV7A - ZU-JAD (Sold Flying)
Dues paid for 2021 WITH A SMILE
Old 10-01-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse23 View Post
I donít think you can flip inside to outside on the stock asymmetrical tires.
What is the brand/model of tire that you describe as asymmetrical?
RV-6A N47TD - 1100 hrs (sold)