Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2020, 06:46 PM

Default Slider Canopy Frame Fitting

I'm in the process of fitting my canopy frame and having some issues. I managed to get the front bow sitting pretty well in reference to the roll bar. I had to cut about 1/4" off of the bottoms of the forward bow on each side.

I then started trying to get the side bows to fit 1/16" inboard from the side skins. On one side it seems very close. On the other side there is slightly too much bend in the side bow. I tried clamping it against a stout piece of hardwood to flatten the curvature. As soon as I un-clamped it and checked it is sprang right back in the same location. This side isn't off a ton but may 1/16". Suggestions on how to take some of the bend out?

The second problem I have is that the center of the rear bow is up too high. I'm not sure if I created this problem or if the canopy frame had the problem initially. Based upon the instructions I was more concerned about the overall width of the rear bow. I now realize that is the wrong way to work on the fitting. FYI, its more about getting each side of the rear bow to have the correct curvature. I think I know how to work on getting the curvature correct for the rear bow. What I'm not sure about is how to get the center of the rear bow lowered as much as I need. My side bows are 2-5/8" off the aft canopy decks on both sides when the side bow are level to the canopy decks. To get the center of the rear bow in the correct position it seems like I need to be around 2-3/8" which violates the 1/8" difference rule by quite a bit. It almost seems like I need to bend the center frame piece so that the center of the rear bow is lower. I'm not even sure that is possible. Any suggestions on this one?

I know this is normally a frustration part of the build but Saturday is was defeated on this frame fitting. Sunday I didn't even want to look at the plane. That never happens for me. Well it's been a couple of days and I've recovered but the canopy frame still need some man handling.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 09-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Iím working on the same slider predicament here, I got my slider to about were you are and resorted to fitting the plexiglass , one side fits perfectly at the back but I still have to get the other side bent in at the bottom and I may just end up shimming the top up to meet the turtle deck skin,, it is a frustrating undertaking but stay at it , a good fitting slider frame will save you a lot of frustration down the road , this is my second Slider & my first one need stripped by the time I got it to fit on my 6 !
Grounds keeper @ CKS9, 2021 dues pd
Garry

This is basically how I did it a long time ago. Pretend that instead of resting dummy items on a sheet of cardboard, you screwed wood blocks to a tabletop. And instead of bending a piece of aluminum brake line, you used the same fixture to tweak your canopy frame.

You can get a lot of force on something this way if you orient the frame correctly. Make numerous small tweaks, not big ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1904  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3075.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1905  
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 09-01-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Default Canopy

If you get the rear bow to match the top skin, the top should fall into place. Workbthe shape first.
I'm not sure why they call out a dimension for the side bows. I didn't worry much about it but I fabricated a one piece skirt.
Don't cut those forward tubes anymore. Final trim is best done after the canopy is done and even after the windshield is attached. Then you can get the two very close.
Two dimensions are suoer important.
1. Width of the tracks and width of the bow at the rollers. You want the rollers to land in the middle of the tracks and bith tracks parallel ti each other. Obviously the bow dimensions change after the canopy is attached so measure often.
2. Width of the bow aft. If it's too narrow, it will hit the skin. Too wide is not great either but it can be disguised with the skirt.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:56 PM

A couple of years ago I wanted to replace the sliding canopy on the RV6 that I own. At Oshkosh, I inquired with Vans if they still made the RV-6 slider frame. The person said NO. I asked if the RV-7 canopy frame would fit an RV-6, and he said NO...... but then it doesnít fit the RV-7 either.

I bought the RV-7 sliding canopy kit and got to work. It did fit much better than the original RV-6 canopy did but was still a lot of work.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 09-01-2020, 08:22 PM

This won't make you feel better maybe, but on my first one I worked on it for a month.
The second one I did it took me two days.

Hang in there, you will get it done. Walk away for a day then go back to it.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 09-02-2020, 01:54 AM

Took me a week to get mine right. Keep persisting and you will get there.
Wings done
Fuselage mostly done.
Working FWF now.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:59 AM

Default RV-7 slider Canopy Frame

I’m just going to throw this out there. I actually snapped my first frame trying to get it perfect, it eventually gave way at the aft of the spine. It was so close too.

I had bent it so much that it looked notchy, no real curve any more. After exploring options I put it down to experience and ordered a new one. I’ve just put it on out the box and it’s pretty good as is, a little wide at the back (by 1/16 on both sides) but the aft radius is perfect so don’t want to upset that. It’s completely symmetrical so I’m thinking of trimming the front posts (not all the way) and calling it a day. Am I completely out to lunch?

Ben

RV-7 slider
Lincolnshire, UK

Last edited by bpolwin : 09-14-2021 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-14-2021, 06:41 PM

This was my experience. I worked on it flexing it around off and on for two weeks. Every time I got one area right it would bulge out somewhere else. I have done a lot of 4130 welding in my life so I cut it bent it to shape and welded it back together, saw, bend, and weld. Had it done in an hour. Do not try this unless you know what you are doing.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:27 PM

Default Canopy weldment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpolwin View Post
Iím just going to throw this out there. I actually snapped my first frame trying to get it perfect, it eventually gave way at the aft of the spine. It was so close too.

I had bent it so much that it looked notchy, no real curve any more. After exploring options I put it down to experience and ordered a new one. Iíve just put it on out the box and itís pretty good as is, a little wide at the back (by 1/16 on both sides) but the aft radius is perfect so donít want to upset that. Itís completely symmetrical so Iím thinking of trimming the front posts (not all the way) and calling it a day. Am I completely out to lunch?

Ben

RV-7 slider
Lincolnshire, UK
If its that close, leave it alone. Fiberglass skirt will hide any misfit.
BTW, don't make the final adjustment cut to the forward bow feet till the canopy is attached and the windshield done. It's easy to trim those feet but imossible to make them longer.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.