Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2021, 08:05 PM

I wonder how many people built it all up according to 10A and hadn't even looked at 14A to see the difference? i.e., have AN470's in those three holes and none the wiser.....
Old 10-06-2021, 08:35 PM

I have QB wings. I used CherryMax flush rivets on the 3 inboard rivets. If I remember I dimpled the flap brace and counter-sunk the spar double plate W-707. I'm sure I was looking at a rivet call out that specified those rivets. But, I cannot find it in the PDF file right now.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:05 PM

Again, I spoke to Van's Builder Support this morning, and they confirmed the apparent conflict in the drawings. The -7 plans have the same incongruity too, according to the guy on the phone. I was told that this was "Builder's Option" but he said he'd favor the dimpled and countersunk version. Personally, I'm very leery of ANY cutting into the spar without good reason, so unless there is a real clearance problem, I'm going with the 470's.

Though small, Van's apparently has it's own empires. I asked why they didn't just change to one direction to eliminate the confusion I've fallen into. His reply? "Do you know how hard it is to get Engineering to change...?"

I assume there are plenty of -8's and -7's happily and safely flying around with the 470 rivets specified on the 10A page where all rivets on the rear spar are called out. Why look anywhere else? If there was interference between rivet heads on the rear spar and flap leading edges, I think we'd have heard about that.
RV8 #81751 project sold
RV8 #81651 project acquired
https://theonceandfutureflyer.wordpress.com/
Donations up to date thru December 2015

"...serenity...courage...and wisdom..."
Old 10-07-2021, 06:20 AM

Well I'll admit I have 470's there because I faithfully followed the plans on sheet 10A, not thinking that excellent detailed drawing would have a conflict somewhere else. I have to think it doesn't much matter if it hasn't been fixed on the drawings in 20 years. If my flap rubs I guess I'll massage something or not worry much about it.....