What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Spars

cptbuzz

I am getting ready to build the spars on my son's RV4. Not exactly sure how to smash those monster rivets. Can some one please give me some fool proof detailed instructions on how to do this where I won't be buying more spars? I have always done the phlogiston spars....but not this go round.

Thanks!

Buzz

5X-6X rivet gun

I shot all mine with a 5X CP rivet gun and a bucking bar on the concrete floor. Built both spars in a weekend . I also have a 9X if you want brute force, but not needed. I sent you a PM for a visit to 8A7..I can show you the pics and tools. I'm in the heavy jet overhail business, so we shoot rivets up to 3/8" at times...those little 3/16" rivets are a piece-o-cake.

Van's used to offer a "loaner" rivet gun for just this purpose.
Now that everything comes "pre-built" he may no longer have it.
Wouldn't hurt to ask.

I used my C frame and a large hammer to set the rivets. The C frame was on the concrete floor with wood blocks solidly supporting the spar. Two or three whacks with the hammer and the rivet was set. It was fun to hit an airplane part with a big hammer!

Spars

I did mine the same way Tom did, 2 good strikes with a 2.5 lb hammer
perfect set

Rv 6 slow build flying
F1- Harmon in progerss

Pressing rivets

I did mine using a jig with a little hydraulic jack. Three or four strokes on the jack and the rivet was set. They say that pressing rivets is a preferred method to hammering. Mine came out perfect.

I did mine exactly as Tom and sheepdog. It took me an 8-hour day to do both wings and boy was I whipped! John Harmon offerered me the use of his BIG c-frame hydraulic squeezer, but NOOOOOO, I had to be a hero...:eek:

Back