What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Proseal tube w/o gun

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I ordered the 3.5 oz tube of proseal, not noticing that it is intentended to be used in some sort of dispensing gun..... I'm not familiar with this sort of cartridge, but is there any way to use this to glue the rudder trailing edge without the gun? Or should I just order the smaller 1 oz size from Vans?

Thanks,
Jason

I was able to remove the white and black components from the tube and store it in separate plastic containers. Then I just mixed up what I needed for each trailing edge.

You can use it without the gun, just mix it according to the directions and use something to push it out into a cup, a broomstick sized dowel works pretty good. Then you can use a tongue depressor (wooden stick) or something similar to spread it. Not really the way it was intended to be used but it can be done. You may end up applying it this way for the tanks anyway so it'll be good practise. The proseal has a shelf life (about 4 months according to Vans) so you may as well just try using it or order a gun right away. Can't really save it unless you plan on starting your tanks soon.

Vans seems to have the best deal on the guns at 17 bucks. Compared to 85 bucks at Spruce.

I just ordered a quick build kit a couple of weeks ago, so I won't "get the privilege" of sealing my fuel tanks... thanks for the suggestions, I;ll just mix it up per the instructions and find someting to push out enough to seal the rudder trailing edge.

Thanks,
Jason

I used a normal caulk gun and a small piece of wood that fit inside the tube to act as a plunger.

Hey - I ordered the 3.5 oz tube of proseal, not noticing that it is intentended to be used in some sort of dispensing gun..... I'm not familiar with this sort of cartridge, but is there any way to use this to glue the rudder trailing edge without the gun? Or should I just order the smaller 1 oz size from Vans?

Thanks,
Jason
We did every seam on our airplane with tube proseal without a gun. I always used a screw driver handle. And proseal will actually last a long time past its expiration date. Years! Put it in the freezer to prolong its life once mixed.

And proseal will actually last a long time past its expiration date. Years! Put it in the freezer to prolong its life once mixed.
Keep it refrigerated as much as possible BEFORE it's mixed to really get a long shelf-life...

I did the same thing... buying a tube from spruce to find once I got it that it said it wouldn't work in anything but the special dispencing gun...

It fit and dispenced just fine in my $12 contractors special (all messed up from a few months on various job sites) caulk gun... its all in the plunger sizeon of the gun... mine is a sort of expensive gun as I used so many guns I'd come to like the type that doesn't dispence unless you are squeezing the trigger... so it tends not to ooze out the contents of the tube all over the work surface if you set it down...

anyways I'd bet a decent size dowl down the tube would work as well if your gun's plunger is too big (I was ready to cut one if it didn't fit my gun)...

then I bought the stuff in the cans and put it in the fridge...

Tom

Back