What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a shop to replace wheel bearing races

recapen

Well Known Member
I have a spare set of wheels that I got used from a long-ez.
I have purchased the replacement parts from Vans and would like to have the new bearing cups pressed in professionally.

Would like a local shop (DelMarVa peninsula) but willing to mail them off to a recommended shop.

Thoughts please,

Extremely easy to do your self.
With a flat punch inserted from the opposite side, tap around the inner edge of the bearing cup. Repeat procedure for the second cup.
re-installation is basically the same in reverse, GENTLE taps does it.

Same procedure for your utility trailer...

I use a punch to remove the old races and something close to the same diameter as the race to tap in in. I use a large socket, but I have a lot of 3/4 in drive sockets.

When you get the old bearing race out, use it as a guide to tap the new one into place. I got new Timken bearings and races at NAPA. Same as original.

Use a large bench mounted vice

Once I have the old races removed. I use an large bench vice to press in the new races. Works good in keeping the entire race and hub perfectly aligned so the race doesn't skew on an angle. Nice steady pressure as you tighten the vice slowly until the race bottoms out. Use wood scrap to keep from marring the metal surfaces.

I try to use a piece of hardwood for a punch as to not mar the inner bore of the hub where the race sits.

It is simple. Just takes FORCE. I work on cars as well and finally bought a simple press from Harbor Freight and a set of bearing press tools. I have used it a lot and works well to S Q U E E Z E out those races and SQUEEZE them back in. Worth whatever I paid for them and probably cost less than having someone else do it. But I used the punch method for years before that.........

A 6 inch brass bar (ends flat) and a heavy hammer is all that is needed. Easy taps crossing the circumference. No need to make a big deal out of something you are going to do every 5 or 10 years or only once if you keep the bearings clean and greased.

I’m sure I’ll be accused of tool abuse, but I recently was able to use my drill press with a 1/2” Jacobs chuck as an arbor press to remove and replace bearing races in a set of 6:00-6 McCauley wheels.

Bake the wheel in the oven at 250 for about 20 minutes. The race will drop in. Your wife will ask what are you cooking.

Wheel bearing races

Knock the old ones out with a punch take the old ones grinding outside perimeter and use that to knock in the new races if you try this without grinding the outside perimeter of the old races they could get stuck in the wheel as you drive in the new races

Here is the way I have done many. It is really a cinch if you get some dry ice and have an oven available, or even a heat gun. To remove, heat the wheel which will expand the wheel and the race will drop out with a light tap. For reassembly, put the new race in dry ice while heating the wheel, and it drops in by (gloved) hand. A light tap with a pinch will ensure the race is seated. Make sure you heat the wheel for :30 minutes or more. Dry ice can be had at most ice shops.
No risk of damaging parts. Make sure you clean up the bore in the wheel so no dirt gets in the way.

Back