What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 ULS

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Good Evening:

First I would like to say I have had nothing but awesome customer service from Van Aircraft. Reading the threads over the last couple of years it appears to me that the RV-12 is being relegated to second class status.

I am no engineer, but I understand you can not slap the 912is on the ULS frame, but I feel the support for the legacy aircraft is waning and I want to be reassured that support will continue. I feel that Vans Aircraft is a model organization and demonstrates a true commitment to the experimental aircraft industry. I look forward to many happy years with Van's grin slapped on my face.

I have never felt that way at all,I get incredible help and support on my Rv12 every time I call with any kind of a issue,so I disagree,Vans has never ever pushed me to something else in this case the 12IS. Van's support on my 12 ULS has been 1st class from day one.

We fully support builders, pilots and owners of RV-12 aircraft every single day, and quite happily. The RV-12iS is simply an updated version of the airplane.

You won't need to worry about support waning, and honestly, it's a little funny that you open with "waning" and close with "commitment." :)

Lest anyone read your post and take it the wrong way: We do and will continue to fully support the RV-12. In fact, we still support the RV-3 and that design is (literally) nearly 50 years old. To date, we have not dropped support for a single aircraft model released since the business opened in 1973.

I?ve got the original D-180 design with a 496 and have never felt Van?s gave me anything but the best service. Of the many things that keep me up at night worrying about Vans customer support is not one of them.

I?ve got the original D-180 design with a 496 and have never felt Van?s gave me anything but the best service. Of the many things that keep me up at night worrying about Vans customer support is not one of them.
That speaks volumes.

I bought a flying RV-12 in Feb 2018. In early July 2018 I did an upgrade project that included replacing the Dynon Touch with a Dynon HDX, installing the knob module, auto-pilot control module, ADS-B in, the 2020GPS, putting dual usb outlets on the panel, installing a Tosten grip with pitch trim, auto-pilot disconnect, ident, and push-to-talk on the stick, and installing the AOA.

My RV-12 is one of the early ones that has the conversion harness. This makes the project harder.

I was a total newbie. The support guys at Vans were great, gave me wonderful support, and were very patient with a rookie. I can't say enough good about these guys and how helpful they were.

The RV-12 is a great airplane. It is a dream to fly. And when you add the support that Van's provides, I don't know you could find a better light sport airplane.

I bought a flying RV-12 in Feb 2018. In early July 2018 I did an upgrade project that included replacing the Dynon Touch with a Dynon HDX, installing the knob module, auto-pilot control module, ADS-B in, the 2020GPS, putting dual usb outlets on the panel, installing a Tosten grip with pitch trim, auto-pilot disconnect, ident, and push-to-talk on the stick, and installing the AOA.

My RV-12 is one of the early ones that has the conversion harness. This makes the project harder.

I was a total newbie. The support guys at Vans were great, gave me wonderful support, and were very patient with a rookie. I can't say enough good about these guys and how helpful they were.

The RV-12 is a great airplane. It is a dream to fly. And when you add the support that Van's provides, I don't know you could find a better light sport airplane.
Another great testimonial.:)

RV-12ULS

I did not mean to give the wrong impression as I stated in my original post Van's is a model company in so many ways. My comment was to stimulate consideration of retrofitting some of the improvements, (center console, motorized flaps...) into the ULS.

Again my apologies if it was taken the wrong way as whenever I am approached by potential builders I tell them how happy I am with the customer service, technical advice, and "flexibility" with parts payments.

Thank you and I appreciate everyone's comments.

I did not mean to give the wrong impression as I stated in my original post Van's is a model company in so many ways. My comment was to stimulate consideration of retrofitting some of the improvements, (center console, motorized flaps...) into the ULS.

Again my apologies if it was taken the wrong way as whenever I am approached by potential builders I tell them how happy I am with the customer service, technical advice, and "flexibility" with parts payments.

Thank you and I appreciate everyone's comments.

Thanks Don,
Having a bit more understanding of where you were coming from helps.

Quite a few of the upgrades that were developed during the redesign to the RV-12iS, are retrofitable to the RV-12ULS. A lot of builders have incorporated them into their airplanes.

Vans would have loved to have been able to offer more but the reality is that there was too many other design changes that made things like the center console/throttle and electric flaps possible.
Where possible, 12ULS fuselage parts were used in the RV-12iS design process so that multiple parts for a given portion of the fuselage did not have to be produced and inventoried but there was a limit to how far that could go.
That unfortunately means that not all features are reverse compatible by just adding a few new rivet holes.

A list of features compatible on the 12ULS has been published in the past.
Maybe Greg can point to that somewhere on the web site?

All this talk about RV-12 no longer buttering the bread. I don?t understand... The 12 meets the full LSA design criteria right up to the max allowed airspeed. It does it with exhilarating performance and wonderful control harmony. Visibility, sitting in front of the wind spar is superb. Owner maintenance is very easily accomplished and operating costs are as low as can possibly be.

What?s not to like? What do you think will come along to replace the 12? Can?t go any faster. Out climb the 12 ? I don?t think so. Useful load ? I don?t think you can beat the 12 for 1320# GW. Comfortable seating in a wide cabin. Good ventilation and warm heat for temperate climates. Avionics that rival the big boys.

The 12 is a beautifully concise airplane that outperforms a C-172 or Cherokee any day of the week...

Back