What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Screwdriver?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I have often thought a good retirement gift for and A&P mechanic would be a gold-plated #2 Philips. :D

I have been using a cordless electric drill with a clutched-chuck for screw removal. For my birthday, I decided to treat myself to a new toy - DEWALT 8V MAX Cordless Screwdriver Kit, Gyroscopic, 2 Batteries (DCF680N2) - Amazon $99. I also bought Cyful 10pcs Alloy Steel Anti Slip Phillips PH2 Screwdriver Bits Set (PH2 x 150MM) - Amazon $11.

Totally cool... The screwdriver has gyroscope sensors that react to twisting rotation of your wrist. Engage the bit into the screw, energize power switch, and the rotate tool in direction you want motion. Variable speed depending on angle of twist. Also can be used without initiating power switch to break loose a stubborn screw ? then power unwind.

Dewalt

I have one too. With removable floor panels, it was a must have item. Totally cool too.

Is the only speed control the degree of twist? I looked at this one a while back and it seemed that would be awkward.

Is the only speed control the degree of twist? I looked at this one a while back and it seemed that would be awkward.
Took me about 1 min to get used to it :cool:
One of those tools that will need to be pried from my cold dead hands :eek:

That DeWalt electric gyroscopic screwdriver rocks. Have been using mine for a couple of years. My favorite tool. I’ve even bought a couple as gifts for other airplane builders. Highly recommended. And just to be proactive: No I won’t buy one for you. They were very special airplane builders hah. :)

That DeWalt electric gyroscopic screwdriver rocks. Have been using mine for a couple of years. My favorite tool. I?ve even bought a couple as gifts for other airplane builders. Highly recommended. And just to be proactive: No I won?t buy one for you. :)

Maybe add it to the tools Van's sells to build RV-12's? :D

The twin Pizzo brothers RV builders / owners showed me theirs and let me used it on a trip I did with one of the brothers across the country. I like it so much I purchased one when I got home. This was 4 or 5 years ago.

I use it more in the pistol grip mode than the straight configuration like shown in the first post photo. Even on the clutch setting, the pistol grip can loosen tight screws that the clutch will not remove.

Everyone that I showed mine to and let use has gone on to purchase one.

I only have one battery. Working on one airplane, I do not see the need for two batteries.

I?ve been using a Harbor Freight battery powered hand drill with adjustable torque clutch and Phillips insert. I can use it on 90% of the screws. The other 10% require the ?Armstrong? method.

Get it now

Have a buddy loan me his dewault. When I got home, I logged on Amazon. Next thing I reached for was my plastic.

It absolutely rocks.

I use a MAkita on screws in fuse etc.

BUT do NOT use when putting screws in the rollbar of the RV 7 canopy.

A moments distraction while doing so caused a crack to occur.

Suggestion...?. do not use on plexiglass!

Dave

A couple of years ago I purchased a Black and Decker gyro-based screwdriver which uses very similar technology. It was on clearance at Lowes - I think I paid $25 for it. It's a good little gadget - definitely not hard to get used to the gyro control.

After using it for a couple of years I think I still prefer a full-sized battery-operated drill with a good adjustable clutch so I can use two hands on the drill to ensure proper alignment on the screw head. Of course when access is tight that little B&D unit sure comes in handy!

I didn't see it mentioned, the DeWalt driver has a clutch that works great.

I have had the DeWalt for 4+ years. When I got my -12 last year I bought a second just for the hangar. The clutch is real handy for tightening panel and cowl screws without stripping the heads or over tightening.

There are 2 different (but look very similar) models of the DeWalt driver. They both have the same gyro action and use the same battery.

DCF682N1, does NOT fold and does NOT have a clutch.

DCF680N1 / DCF680N2, folds, has clutch. N1 = 1 battery, N2 = 2 batteries

I didn't see it mentioned, the DeWalt driver has a clutch that works great.

I have had the DeWalt for 4+ years. When I got my -12 last year I bought a second just for the hangar. The clutch is real handy for tightening panel and cowl screws without stripping the heads or over tightening.

There are 2 different (but look very similar) models of the DeWalt driver. They both have the same gyro action and use the same battery.

DCF682N1, does NOT fold and does NOT have a clutch.

DCF680N1 / DCF680N2, folds, has clutch. N1 = 1 battery, N2 = 2 batteries
Have the unit with 2 batteries.
Nothing short of a wonderful tool.

Thanks a lot, now I have to buy another tool I didn't know I needed. ;)

Not sure which is worse, owning a boat or building a plane...
B.O.A.T. - Break Out Another Thousand.
P.L.A.N.E. - Purchase Lavish Accessories Not Essential? :D

Hmm, might have to add that to my sig. :cool:

Electric Screwdriver.

I am a huge fan of the Dewalt screwdriver. Purchasing quality bits as suggested is also very important.

Add to it some flexible shafts like these.

They make getting to the screws next to the side skins, in front of the spar, and a number of other places so much easier!

That DeWalt electric gyroscopic screwdriver rocks. Have been using mine for a couple of years. My favorite tool. I?ve even bought a couple as gifts for other airplane builders. Highly recommended. And just to be proactive: No I won?t buy one for you. They were very special airplane builders hah. :)

Good that you added that last line Greg because I was already typing in my head my birthday is coming up...

Back