What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Central TX Airport eats?

dmaib

Well Known Member
Hi all. I see this thread has been quiet for a few years. We are in Temple, TX for a few days visiting our son and DIL. I'd like to find an airport diner/cafe within 30 minutes or so flying time from KTPL. Would prefer on airport.

[ed. On this site: http://www.vansairforce.net/VAFCCL.htm. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Roughly 95KM to T82 (Fredericksburg) They have a nice diner and hotel on the field.
OR 75KM to KSEP (Stephenville). Hard 8 BBQ is a short walk, or you can call them and they'll pick you for free.

Last edited:
Llano and Taylor TX

Great food @ Llano in huge portions. Might be that you can order from the child's menu?

Give the Taylor folks a call to see if their town vehicle is open - plenty of places to eat there too. Taylor Cafe is tops on my list, tho Louis Mueller's is another good stop. There is Tex-Mex and good ol' burgers in a short 100yd walk from downtown.

Welcome to Texas! Stop in at my shop to see what sort of nonsense I'm up to...

Last edited:
I don't see Brenham (11R) on Doug's list. It reopened recently. Hours are Friday thru Monday 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM.

Don't skip the milkshakes.

Thanks everybody for the info. WX was looking not so good, so we drove to Fredricksburg yesterday. Spent the night and poked around Fredricksburg all afternoon yesterday. Had a very casual dinner at a new place just a block east of main street, behind the War in The Pacific Museum WWII. Restaurant is named Tubby's and it was great. So new, that the bar isn't done yet. This morning we spent at the aforementioned museum. Well worth the visit. Drove back to Temple in fog and rain via back roads. Stopped at Coopers in Llano for a BBQ lunch. It's the best in our book. Rosie the Riveter and I stopped there for the night on our way to Phoenix about 4 years ago and were directed to Coopers for dinner. We will probably be seeing it on a more regular basis since the my son and DIL are now living in Temple.

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We will hopefully be trying them all out in the future.

Where is my head?

I didn't tell you to got T67 for The Beacon. That's an easy hit from from Temple. It's also very RV friendly.

Roughly 95KM to T82 (Fredericksburg) They have a nice diner and hotel on the field.
OR 75KM to KSEP (Stephenville). Hard 8 BBQ is a short walk, or you can call them and they'll pick you for free.

Dublin, Texas is now an option, too...~15-20 miles or so SW of SEP.

Brad (airport manager) has arranged an old police cruiser to be available and Granny Clark?s restaurant in town has a lunch buffet for ~$10.

There?s also lunch available at the old Dr. Pepper bottling plant where the last cane sugar DP?s were made before their license was pulled...still an active plant, however.

Plus, 9F0 is the only airport in Texas to offer Swift Fuels Unleaded Avgas.

No self serve yet, but Brad is working on it and it?s always best to call ahead to coordinate with him.

https://www.ci.dublin.tx.us/dublin-airport

Back