What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thread Chaser or Tap and Die, Bits too many choices

riobison

Well Known Member
Gents,

I'm replacing some tools that were stolen from my hanger. I'm down to my tap and die set but now I see that there are Thread Chaser or Thread Restorer Kits. Considering that I never make new threads and I'm only chasing damaged threads I'm wondering what the real difference is or is there a difference and what should I really be buying?

On the drill bits most of what I had were Titanium coated drill bits. Are the cobalt bits any better?

Got the cordless drill sorted out. Too many options between Volts, hammer, impact etc. My trusty old 3/8 drive 14 volt Sears worked well for over 20 yrs so finally forced to upgrade.

Thanks

Tim

Then exactly what is the difference between a Tap and Die set and a Thread Chaser or Thread Restorer Kit?

Thanks

Tim

Then exactly what is the difference between a Tap and Die set and a Thread Chaser or Thread Restorer Kit?

Thanks

Tim

A thread chaser is slightly smaller than a tap and has a less agressive strarter threading. It is designed to clean junk out of the threads and leaves a bit of clearance to avoid removing any metal from the thread. You can use a tap to chase threads, but you have to be very careful as it is easy to remove additional metal from the existing threads.

Larry

If all you're doing is cleaning out already-threaded holes, and not doing it often, you can make your own thread chasers by cutting one or two slots in the threads of a bolt or screw of the appropriate size. Put a drop or two of oil (any oil will do) on it before you run it in, and go slowly.

Back