What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Installed Weight

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any real world data on installed weight for the new generation 3 blade (carbon fiber?) Catto plus extension (Sabre?), bolts, etc.? Is there such a thing as a weighted or "heavy" extension?

I am thinking of replacing a metal Sensenich that has a total installed weight of about 41 pounds and I'm trying to determine the specific impact to weight and balance (mostly balance).

Thanks

Not sure on total weight, I bet Saber knows or has a much better guess (my guess is around 22-25 lbs) I know they make various crush plate weights up to about 20 lbs to help with CG (and easy to get ahold of) I am very happy with my Catto though.....

Last edited:
Does anyone have any real world data on installed weight for the new generation 3 blade (carbon fiber?) Catto plus extension (Sabre?), bolts, etc.? Is there such a thing as a weighted or "heavy" extension?

old configuration (42 lbs)
-Sensenish 2 blade prop
-Sensenish extension
-7/16 prop bolts
-12 inch spinner and hardware

New configuration (41 lbs)
-New Catto 3 blade prop
-Saber 4-inch extension with 7 inch diameter surface
-7/16 prop bolts
-new 12 inch spinner and hardware
-18 lb slug

I have individual weights also.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
As others have noted, saber can set you up with whatever you need.
If you need a heavy crush plate for W&B purposes, I have an unused steel 7/16 bolt version from saber I ended up not needing. You are free to give it a try if you'd like. We could arrange to get it to you somehow, wx allowing. You'd still need to get the bolts and spacer from saber though.
Just let me know.

Last edited:
Inertia ring

When I built my RV 6 I installed Mark Landals inertia ring which I believe weighed12 lbs, Mark also sold silica iron balancing rings which attached to the flywheelI was able to turn the idle way down and on final allows me to get vans book Figures for landing and offset the weight of Marks reduced weight starter.
I believe there are a few out there if you ask as Mark does not sell them any more.

Maybe you should delete/edit that post and the negative feedback about crush plate priority for the next person that reads your post. Those guys were very nice to me twice now. No need for them to potentially have to deal with that feedback.

Maybe you should delete/edit that post and the negative feedback about crush plate priority for the next person that reads your post. Those guys were very nice to me twice now. No need for them to potentially have to deal with that feedback.

Right, My bad.

Saber dance...

I am thinking of replacing a metal Sensenich that has a total installed weight of about 41 pounds and I'm trying to determine the specific impact to weight and balance (mostly balance).

Thanks

Steve,
Saber will custom build you a crush plate up to 8" 20Lbs and heavy extensions are available as well. I bought a 7" steel crush plate that weighs 10 lbs from him that I did some flight testing on my RV-X with. The fit and quality of my extension and bolts for my Catto prop are a machinists dream, supreme craftsmanship.
Highly recommended...

http://www.sabermfg.com/extensions.htm

V/R
Smokey

PS: One option on the RV4 that helps CG and reduces overall weight is moving/replacing your 25 LB aircraft battery with an Odyssey PC625 (if you haven't already) and moving it from the center console to the firewall "shelf". You can then use the center console space as storage...

Last edited:
PS: One option on the RV4 that helps CG and reduces overall weight is moving/replacing your 25 LB aircraft battery with an Odyssey PC625 (if you haven't already) and moving it from the center console to the firewall "shelf". You can then use the center console space as storage...

I'm taking a hard look at that now Smokey. Thanks!

28# for mine.

3 Blade 68x70 with nickel leading edge
2 1/4" deluxe Saber spacer and 1/2" thick crush plate
7/16" bolts
Both bulkheads and painted spinner with hardware

AX-O

What do you mean 18# slug. Is this some type of weight added to the interior of the prop? If so how did you do it?

it is a round piece of metal just like a crush plate but made out of steel. I had to add 18 lbs of dead weight in front of my prop because of weight and balance issues. Without it the plane fly awesome but I can't put anyone in the back seat.

Back