What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Re-stocking my hangar - tools and consumables

walkman

Well Known Member
I have recently purchased an RV-6 after having been out of aircraft ownership since about 2004. Since 2000 I have been living in a high-rise with no garage, so my garage was in a storage unit. Basically all of my consumables and all the aircraft related bits and bobs that we collect over time were thrown or given away. Now I have the unenviable task of restocking my hangar.

What am I missing off this list?

-Oil Aeroshell w100 (summer) Phillips x/c 20W-50 (winter)
-ASL Camguard additive
-Oil filters (ch48103) $21.75 ea)
-Spark plugs ($26.50 ea)
-torque seal ($1.95)
-anti-seize ($8.50)
-safety wire (.032 and .041, $7.95, $7.95)
-Oil cooler 3" scat tube ($10.98/foot)
-Spark plug gapping tool ($19.85)
-spark plug tray ($24.85)
-Brake linings (rapco 66-102, 2x $6.50)
-Brake rivets (br-1007 $6.75)
-Brake lining tool (delux $19.50)
-Glass cleaner (clearview $5.50)
-Aeroshell 22 grease or high-temp disk brake automotive bearing grease
-Bearing grease packer
-foil pans etc for cleaning parts
-Marvell mystery oil
-oil sample kit(s)
-Oil filter cutter
-Hose for oil changes
-Self amalgamating silicon tape (rescue tape at Ace)
-Red silicone engine baffle material
-touch up paint bottles
-hose for draining tanks

Refrigerator, couch, chairs, stool, small ladder, AM-FM radio, XM radio, Air Scanner, air compressor, fan, small heater, Van's calendar, work bench, vise, broom, dust pan, leaf blower for blowing out hangar, extension cords, reel(s) for extension cord(s), shelves...and a few more things...:D

Shop Vac, microfiber rags, and cleaner of your choice for bug removal.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Fuel tank drain valve o-rings
caliper o-rings
A small air compress for maintaining the tires.
A long funnel for adding oil through the cowling.
more than one fuel tester.
spare pitot cover.
At least 100 of each size exterior screw and same for seat pan screws.
Plexi glass cleaner. I like Plexus.
McGuire's detail touch up. quick spray to wipe down the bugs.
A second set of tools for the hangar.
A crawler for cleaning the belly.
A gallon of mineral spirits for cleaning the belly.
At least one spare ful cap.
If you have a K&N air filter, I second having a spare. Replace with spare, then take the dirty one home to clean with the recharge kit and warm water.

Since you did not build your RV, you probably do not have a rivet squeezer. It is a little pricey for a non-builder, but I love the brake rivet dyes for the avery squeezer. I have used the normal brake lining tool.

Last edited:
Tool or consumable

Not sure if this would be a tool or consumable, what about a babe? She can sure lend a hand bucking some rivets, and you'll probably need to take her on some $1000 hamburgers when you are done.

Last edited:
Not sure if this would be a tool or consumable, what about a babe? She can sure lend a hand bucking some rivets, and if you'll probably need to take her on some $1000 hamburgers when you are done.

Oooops, there goes the budget! :D

OK, how 'bout:
Safety Glasses
Band Aids (or shop towels and masking tape ;))
Air Hose (for that compresser others recommended)
Small air nozzle
Tire fill nozzle
Tire valve extender
Air drill
Mucho drill bits (#30, #40, etc)
Countersink
Speed deburrer
Tin Snips
Pop rivet puller (and misc pop rivets)
Die set (for that squeezer)
Fiberglass supplies
Cleaning Supplies
Tunes! (already mentioned)

Cheers,
Bob

PS: When's the hangar-warming BBQ?!?!? :)

Refrigerator, couch, chairs, stool, small ladder, AM-FM radio, XM radio, Air Scanner, air compressor, fan, small heater, Van's calendar, work bench, vise, broom, dust pan, leaf blower for blowing out hangar, extension cords, reel(s) for extension cord(s), shelves...and a few more things...:D

I have an end T hangar with several sets of steel shelves, double size work bench with plenty of lights. the previous occupant put up high quality insulation everywhere and epoxied the floor.

I have been told in no uncertain terms by the SO that there will be no couch lol tho a dorm fridge and a microwave might make it in there!

Not sure if this would be a tool or consumable, what about a babe? She can sure lend a hand bucking some rivets, and you'll probably need to take her on some $1000 hamburgers when you are done.

Oh I have one of those! She is waaaaay out of my league too! lol

Oooops, there goes the budget! :D

OK, how 'bout:
Safety Glasses
Band Aids (or shop towels and masking tape ;))
Air Hose (for that compresser others recommended)
Small air nozzle
Tire fill nozzle
Tire valve extender
Air drill
Mucho drill bits (#30, #40, etc)
Countersink
Speed deburrer
Tin Snips
Pop rivet puller (and misc pop rivets)
Die set (for that squeezer)
Fiberglass supplies
Cleaning Supplies
Tunes! (already mentioned)

Cheers,
Bob

PS: When's the hangar-warming BBQ?!?!? :)

Thanks everyone! Got a few items that I'd missed, and a couple of good laughs too.

What am I missing off this list?

I see you're in Atlanta, so you might as well start looking on Craigslist now for a ginormous fan. For heat, I got one of the propane infrared heater from harbor freight back in November. The kind that screws on the top of a grill tank, $30 before coupon I think. Of course it never really got cold, so I don't know how well it heats the hangar, but it definitely feels like it should help, especially if it's close-by.

I see you're in Atlanta, so you might as well start looking on Craigslist now for a ginormous fan. For heat, I got one of the propane infrared heater from harbor freight back in November. The kind that screws on the top of a grill tank, $30 before coupon I think. Of course it never really got cold, so I don't know how well it heats the hangar, but it definitely feels like it should help, especially if it's close-by.

I think I've dodged the bullet on cold this year. It was only really cold (by Atlanta standards) one weekend out there this year so far.

Aeroshell 6 in a grease gun for the C/S.
Flashlight and mirrors.
Whatever you like for grabbing screws that invariably fall/roll out of reach.
Patience.

John Siebold

Aeroshell 6 in a grease gun for the C/S.
Flashlight and mirrors.
Whatever you like for grabbing screws that invariably fall/roll out of reach.
Patience.

John Siebold

like the one that did yesterday behind the fuel tank inside the wing :-( Luckily I was able to borrow a tool across the taxi way and fish it out. :)

What grease for the tail wheel fork? 22? Sounds like I need 2 grease guns. I used to have a collection of them, but they don't store well.

When I unpacked my storage unit into the hangar I also found out that Halloween pumpkins also don't store well even if you pack them in a large plastic tub with all your Halloween and Xmas decorations for a few years :-(

- Zip ties
- Spiral wrap (1/4" and 1/2")
- ACF-50
- Mouse Milk, Kroil, or some other flavor of penetrating oil

One more thing that I didn't see I the lists above: dental picks. Useful for getting lead deposits out of spark plugs, and small things out of tiny spaces. My dentist gave me a bundle of various sizes and shapes from his "used" pile a while ago, they've been incredibly useful.

One more thing that I didn't see I the lists above: dental picks. Useful for getting lead deposits out of spark plugs, and small things out of tiny spaces. My dentist gave me a bundle of various sizes and shapes from his "used" pile a while ago, they've been incredibly useful.

Yeah those have been a useful part of my tools for years. Someone also picked me up some other older medical implements at a flea market. Some of them are fearsome looking, and I think when the parts see those scary looking tools coming they just give up and comply right away!!!

I have all sorts of hemostats, various sorts of clamps, spreaders, mirrors, and other things I can only wonder what they are for :)

Back