What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Toolbox Condensation

RVAddict

Well Known Member
Ok guys & gals,
This is the problem I'm having. My toolbox is setting in a shed. It's a 10X12 wooden shed that is insulated and except for a small leak around the window stays dry on the inside. The toolbox is a Craftsman and sits opposite the wall with the window. I noticed for the second time yesterday that there was condensation on the front of all the drawers. The first time this happened I opened it up only to find many of my expensive tools had an ugly layer of surface rust on them. Tonight, that was the case again. :mad: The first time it happened I took everything out, cleaned it all up, and oiled with some oil I had around. Tonight I did that again. The chromed tools seem not to care, but steel tools, (pliars, pipe wrench, hammers) really get the bad end of it.

Has anyone experienced this? What, if anything, can be done? Do I just have to live with the condensation and oil my tools more frequently?
tools%20001.jpg

tools%20004.jpg

tools%20003.jpg

tools%20002.jpg

The pictures of the hammer show both sides. The side not rusted was the bottom. The rusted side was face up. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I usually only get that if I leave the toolbox open - or any tools lying on the workbench down in Houston....humidity capitol of the world! I finally stored the expensive, small stuff (dimple dies, squeezer bits, countersinks, etc) in zip lock bags in the toolbox, with a squirt of oil to keep the atmosphere in the bag oily. This helps a lot on the building tools when I am not using them all the time.

Paul

Anytime the tools are colder than the air you are gonna get condensation. Can you seal the leak and heat the shed a little? Short of that Paul's idea is the best solution.

Westmarine Dehumidifier

My tools took a beating in a leaking stone garage until I tried these solutions:

1. Put a boat dehumidifier in the shed. Westmarine has one for about $60; I put one in my toolbox. It uses about the same electricity as a 100W bulb but safer:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=380

2. Clean your tools with Rust Free and give them a coat of Boeshield T-9. Both products are available from woodworking suppliers (EagleAmerica, LeeValley, Woodcraft, etc.).

3. Coat any saw table tops or other cast iron surfaces with Top-Cote. Also available from woodworking suppliers.

Good luck!
Mike

Last edited:
I use a product I started using to protect my guns, its called BreakFree and you can pick it up in the gun section at Walmart. I also use it on my machine tools and it works quite well in protecting things from rusting. Some other suggestions, put a light bulb in your tool box and throw a blanket over it or get a dehumidifier.

Anytime the tools are colder than the air you are gonna get condensation. Can you seal the leak and heat the shed a little? Short of that Paul's idea is the best solution.

A new window has been on my list since I aquired the building. A friend of mine built it for himself some time ago. He used twice as much lumber in it as a pre-fab you can buy has, but he put a cheap aluminum single pane window in it. It leaks and I need to replace it.

My tools took a beating in a leaking stone garage until I tried these solutions:

1. Put a boat dehumidifier in the shed. Westmarine has one for about $60; I put one in my toolbox. It uses about the same electricity as a 100W bulb but safer:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=380

2. Clean your tools with Rust Free and give them a coat of Boeshield T-9. Both products are available from woodworking suppliers (EagleAmerica, LeeValley, Woodcraft, etc.).

3. Coat any saw table tops or other cast iron surfaces with Top-Cote. Also available from woodworking suppliers.

Good luck!
Mike

Mike,
Will the dehumidifier work in my toolbox? Seems like it would only work in the drawer that I put it in??? I have a very nice and heavy moving blanket that I use for a creeper in the driveway when I work under the vehicles. Would it help to cover it if I buy the dehumidifier?

I'm thinking about just moving the toolbox into the house until summer. We've had some wild temp swings this week which must be the cause of the condensation. (9*F last week to 64*F today... welcome to KY)

Last edited:
At my civilian job, my toolbox was right near the big hangar doors. I'd sometimes get surface rust over the weekends on things like safetywire pliers and diagonal cutters (basically the non-chromed stuff). I was using drawer liners with VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor - supposed to stop corrosion) to cut down on the problem - didn't work.

I ended up using a two-pronged approach to stop the rust:
1. Daily wipedown of all my tools with a rag that I sprayed liberally with ACF-50.
2. I cut dollar-store towels to the size of my toolbox drawers, sprayed them lightly with WD-40, and covered all my tool drawers at the end of the day.

I don't know if one works better than the other, because I started both within the same week.

Hope this helps...

Dehumidifier

I put mine in the bottom section of the rolling toolbox and put a mover's blanket over the whole thing. Between that and the tool products I mentioned above I didn't have any more problems.

There are different styles of dehumidifiers available; you don't want anything that gets too hot (like a bare lightbulb) next to any tools in plastic cases but most of the ones designed for boats should be okay.

As mentioned above, you can also put dessicant (drying) bags or boxes in each drawer. Some of these can be dried out in your oven and reused over and over.

After looking at this thread I found a cool website: check out
www.theruststore.com for all the rust prevention/treatment goodies you'd ever want!

Mike

rv addict

being in the glass business, i might have a window for you, just let me know what size you need and you can have it for the cost of shipping

Search dehumidifiers on e bay. There is a guy that rebuilds De Longhis and sells them cheap.

My entire shop drips inside when the humidity is up. One 40 pint dehumidifier took care of the problem.

You have enough invested in your toools that a dehumidifier is cheap insurance.

Indicating Silica Gel

I've been using Indicating Silica Gel to help prevent rusty tools. It absorbs moisture like the "Do not Eat Silica Gel" packets that come in shoeboxes. You can get a 5lb bag from Hobby Lobby for $12.99. Look in the flower section. It's used to dry flowers. I put it in small clear left-over containers with small holes (smaller than the gel) punched in the tops and then put the containers in my tool boxes.

When the blue specs turn pink (about 6 weeks for my garage), just put the Gel in a pie pan in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes and it's good to use again. No problems with rust now. If it's too big for a toolbox (like my tablesaw), I use T-9 Boeshield.

I took out the bottom drawer on my roll-around tool boxes and put in a "Goldenrod" heater used in gunsafes (then re-installed the drawer. There is plenty of space under). It does not get too hot, but keeps the ambient temperature raised a bit to fend off condensation. Seems to work pretty well. Environment is half mile from beach on west coast of Florida, unheated drafty hangar. I also shoot my machine tools with LPS-2 and/or LPS-3 regularly and keep them covered. (mill, lathe, shear, brake, etc.) It's a never ending battle. Someday they will get a proper home.

Here is south Alabama we get the wide temp swings all winter. A cold day chills an airplane in a hangar, the next warm day has it dripping with condensation. The trick is to get the temp of the airplane mass (or in this case the toolbox) to mimic the ambient temperature. All it takes in a hangar is a running box fan to circulate air around the mass. I suspect your toolbox would need nothing more than an old computer fan. Try it.

Box Fan

I have a wind machine in my building for the hot summer months. I may just try that!

Thanks Dan!

DH3300.jpg

Milt,
Do you mean one like THIS?

Yep thats the one. Has a pump so you don't have to dump the water daily.

Also note what Dan said above about a fan. Mississippi is like Alabama really humid with substantial temp changes at night. I use the fan for the hangar portion of my shop as Dan does. Works great on the plane but it didn't protect my machine tools from rusting especially the ways on the mill and lathe. Thats Why I went to the dehumidifier for the walled off tool shed at the end of the hangar. Operationally it is a lot cheaper than air conditioning.

Back