What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Fuel Pressure Indication Problems

DougB

I'm New Here
Having problems with the fuel pressure sensor and indication with the RV12iS and Dynon system: The fuel pressure reading with pump 1 running is 39 psi and with both it's 41 psi. A direct reading at the fuel line leading to the right fuel rail is 46 &48. Have swapped out the Kavlico fuel pressure senders, removed the gasket keeping dust out of the electrical connector (don't know what that was supposed to do) and changed the fuel sensor input mapping from direct read to differential reading all without any changes.
The Rotax performs well and doesn't seem to mind the low pressure reading in the cockpit - either take off or cruise.
I would really like to fly without having a "RED" light indicating a problem and being put in a position of having to decide whether there really is a fuel pressure problem. I've heard that the Rotax engines don't work to well without gas. There should not be a warning light on in the cockpit and ignoring it can breed complacency with other warnings
Any ideas will be helpful.

If the pressure at the fuel rail is right as verified by your test gauge, is there any chance you’ve got a partial blockage at the fuel pressure sensor port? If you installed a different sensor, you pretty well ruled out a sensor issue. Any chance you can install your test pressure gauge at the pressure sensor location to confirm the pressure at that spot? If the fine filter were clogged, you should be reading a high pressure. Definitely hard to understand how it could be lower at the pumps than at the engine fuel rail. You don’t say, but can we assume everything was fine before the issue occurred and it just seems to have started without having made any other changes?

Fuel pressure is the same throughout a system when there is no flow.
When there is flow, the pressure drops as the fuel passes through pipes and fittings
and hoses and filters and valves. Even a straight pipe will drop pressure.

Dynon fuel pressure indication

Can you clarify what you mean by, “A direct reading at the fuel line leading to the right fuel rail is 46 &48 ” and how you plumbed the test gauge? Example, off a tee between the fuel rails? Or?

I have a exact same issue after I updated to the latest Dynon Skyview software. First, Skyview doesn't show fuel pressure at all. It indicated "cfg?" at the top of the bar gauge. So, I went to Dynon setting and found that no fuel sender assigned to pin8 anymore. I tested all of the sender listed but I couldn't get a right pressure. now it shows low 39 to42. What fuel sender do you use ? Is it still supported in the updated software ?

Back