What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aft left baffling height too short

EdRv7

I am in the process of trimming my Van's baffle kit for our IO-360 angle valve engine. Did anybody else have an issue with the aft left side baffling being too short? The part number is CB8-4, and even before trimming it is more than an inch short of the cowl height there. I note that the right aft side baffle piece is sloped upwards when heading aft, but CB8-4 is a constant height.

Here is a photo. Part CB8-4 is the baffle on the right.

Attachments

• PXL_20220112_223135769.jpg
    PXL_20220112_223135769.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 287
Not an angle valve, but this is the baffle before trimming on my -7 IO-360. A LOT of material was removed to get the final fit. Do you have your cowl fitted fully? The paperclip trick should give you an idea of how much clearance exists currently.

Attachments

• 20210303_172624.jpg
    20210303_172624.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 255
Yes, I have completed the cowl fitting. And I've used the paper clip trick for trimming the baffles, but the aft left side baffle is more than an inch short of the cowling (and I haven't trimmed it at all).

Its straight & flat aluminum

Rivet on a piece of aluminum, same type & thickness. Regap with paperclips.

Yes, I have completed the cowl fitting. And I've used the paper clip trick for trimming the baffles, but the aft left side baffle is more than an inch short of the cowling (and I haven't trimmed it at all).

An inch gap does not seem that bad...what are you targeting? The engine moves a lot, particularly along the axis of rotation.

The plans say to shoot for a 3/8 to 1/2 inch gap. What I'm wondering is if I got the correct piece? Have others found that they have had to rivet an additional piece of sheet aluminum on to the Van's purchased baffle kit for the angle valve io-360? I see that there is an RV-14 baffle piece for the aft left side that is shaped differently (sloped upwards towards the rear).

Back