What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Squeezer

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I am going to start my RV14 build shortly. I am in the process of getting the tools together to build some of the practice kits while I wait for the tail kit. I have been looking at pneumatic squeezers and found the ATC squeezer kit from Aircraft Spruce. It says it can squeeze up to 1/8" solid aluminum, or 3/32" solid steel rivets. I have not done any riveting in the past and curious if this will this be sufficient for my RV 14 build?

Also, if anyone else has used this squeezer any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am going to start my RV14 build shortly. I am in the process of getting the tools together to build some of the practice kits while I wait for the tail kit. I have been looking at pneumatic squeezers and found the ATC squeezer kit from Aircraft Spruce. It says it can squeeze up to 1/8" solid aluminum, or 3/32" solid steel rivets. I have not done any riveting in the past and curious if this will this be sufficient for my RV 14 build?

Thanks

De Rigueur for building an RV; CP 214 clones can be found for cheaper however -- look at Brown, Cleaveland, etc.

Link

Thanks

Probably fine but post a link just to be sure.
You shouldn't need to squeeze any ruvets bigger than 1/8". If so, grab the 3X and pound with a tungsten bar.

Having used both types. I would recommend you consider a hydraulic squeezer, much easier to use and better results. https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=HTS-C3K3

I have also used both types, and would mostly second this opinion. The setup process is a PITA, but once done is definitely a step up in the experience. It is both smaller and lighter. Foot pedal took some getting used to.

I got mine from Flyboy Accessories, and opted to upgrade the hydraulic hose to the TS Flightlines 8' hose. I think they included the stock hose in the kit also, and I'm glad I upgraded...

You will NOT be sorry to get it! It turns a three-handed job into a two-handed job!

The two heads I used the most were the "longeron yoke" and the "no-hole yoke". I was changing them so much that I sourced a second pneumatic squeezer to keep them both at the ready.

Good luck!

I am actually more in favor of a hand tool, something like Cleveland squeezer is great. My issue with the pneumatic squeezer is that is fairly heavy and using it will be very tiring, especially if is used for dimpling stuff which there are many and it take little pressure to do. So, my recommendation is to have a hand squeezer at least for those operation.

Thank you for the replies. I should have mentioned that the link I added was from Air Spruce Canada so it is $CDN. Approx the same as $US price with conversion but no import fees. Thank you again for the hydraulic suggestion. I will research further.

Here's one in the U.S. but without the longeron yoke, which is handy in a few places.

The Yardstore is not as well known as some of the other tool stores, but I've always found good products at very good prices, and quite prompt service.

Also, I have a short yoke which I've needed in a few places.

These things weigh a bit and that will be annoying at first. Then you'll build the muscles for it and won't notice it much anymore. Plus, much of the time, I can hold it in a vice and that makes it fairly easy and controllable.

Dave
RV-3B, totally old-school, now fitting out the cockpit

Back