What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missing Wire between Skyview Classic & SL30

jrock836

Well Known Member
Missing Wire between Skyview Classic & SL40

A month or so ago I could have swore I read an excellent thread about adding the missing wire between the radio and Skyview, so the radio freq. would show up on the top right of the Skyview display. I should have saved or printed it when I read it, because now I sure can't find it using various search terms that I could have swore were in the posts. Anyway, I can push freqs. from Skyview to the SL40, but nothing is displaying on the Skyview. I assume the prior owner never took the time to add the missing wire.

Anyone care to give me a run down of the easiest way to do this? Can I just uncrew the Skyview from the panel and get to what I need, or does the radio or more also need to be disassembled or pulled out of the panel too? In the thread I read, I remember someone talking about how long it took, but then someone else chimed in about a much quicker and easier way to get the job done.

Thanks!

Last edited:
RS 232 both directions

If you can push frequencies to the SL 30 from the Dynon they are connected by an RS 232 connection. In this case TX from the Dynon, RX for the SL 30. The builder might have run the other half (TX from SL 30, RX to Dynon). Have you checked your Dynon serial ports? It will be listed. If it is there you simply need to enable the display of the frequencies in the Skyview setup.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=101148

I think you are talking about the SL40 com radio, not SL30.
I just completed this job on my -12. You will need some patience getting back behind the radio rack, but its all fun.

Tom, would you mind sharing exactly what you had to disassemble in order to gain access? I'm not the builder of my plane, so I really don't have the benefit of knowing exactly how everything is laid out behind the panel before starting. Thanks!

Back