Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfly View Post
Thanks Dave for the information! Good idea keeping it simple initially. People hear "turbine" and they start thinking faster and higher. Like you said, maybe later on that stuff. Right now we just need a simple, reliable, affordable engine that doesn't burn AVGAS. Sorry, that AVGAS part is my own little pet peeve.
Someone has to take the first step, otherwise we just keep kicking the can down the road.
Still a few moths away, but any plans to attend Oshkosh this year? No large booth required. Maybe just a couple lawn chairs and an umbrella so those of us that are interested might sit down and chat.
Hi Shawn,

Andrew and I will be at Oshkosh again this year. We will not have a booth (next year we plan to) and will be wandering the homebuilt flightline.

I shall check our schedule as the event approaches and see if we can offer a "lawn-chair" get together for those that want to meet us and ask questions. If we can organise it, I'll announce it on this thread so if anyone wants to turn up, they can do so.

Dave
Old 03-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
...and you are basing that 1% on what?

I am quite familiar with ACMs but thanks for the basic review.

I would think that the engine manufacturer would have a pretty good idea of the bleed air losses. They have already stated that the engine is capable of more power, so the whole discussion may be moot.

My point is that it takes power to drive that ACM and that power comes from somewhere...TANSTAAFL...
Thanks Bob. You are spot on again.

Ours is only a "baby" engine compared to whats out there now. Any bleed air that is tapped is going to hurt the overall engine performance and lead to a much more demanding performance requirement from the turbomachinery components. This then flows on to many other components and adds $$$$$.

Dave
Old 03-06-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
May be easier for them to integrate a HX into the exhaust flow for cabin heat from the start if not easy to do off the oil cooler. Many folks will need some way to heat the cabin. Might as well factory engineer this detail rather than leaving it in the hands of the customer.

I offer to test it under real winter conditions up here and give them feedback.
Thanks for the testing offer Ross. That's very kind of you

We will be working with one of our early customers who will be installing his engine in an RV14. If he chooses to install a heating system, he might be able to offer his solution to his fellow RV (and other) brethren.

We also plan to work with a company to develop firewall forward packages for all popular experimentals that will cover both new-build and retrofits. I suspect that a heating system will be something that they will develop as an option for their packages.

Dave
Old 03-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Dave, always appreciate your candor. Gives your project and goals legitimacy unlike so many others in this field.

Wish you the best in this endeavour. An affordable, efficient turboprop is just a way cool concept that people have dreamed about for a long time.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 456.0 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 PM

How do you intend to drive an alternator? Some sort of PTO shaft to drive a V-belt pulley? Or a spline drive PTO?

If that's the plan, you could use an automotive A/C compressor to build a heat pump which gives cooling and heating. Remember that to turn an A/C system into a heat pump, you only need a valve which reverses the refrigerant flow.

Actually, the more I think about this, you're going to need a spline drive pad for a prop governor anyway. Might as well have a 2nd one to drive the alternator and/or compressor. Robinson R44's use the spline drive that's normally used for rear-mounted governors to drive the A/C compressor with a V-belt adapter.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:57 AM

Most turbines use a combined starter/generator.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 456.0 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM

Bleed Air is not the direction technology is going. Aircraft like the Boeing 787 use independent compressors driven by the accessory gear box. Stealing bleed air from the engine is inefficient.

Depends on the size of the starter/generator, electrical heat could be an option too. Oil cooler for cabin heating is an interesting idea. I wonder if there is enough heat available for us cold Canucks. It is waste heat, might as well use it!
Fuselage assembly, it's a riveting job!
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 03-07-2019, 10:34 AM

Default Lawn Chair Discussion or Forum?

Lawn Chair Discussion? I'm not sure if or what they charge to host this, but you guys should see if you can get a forum slot. I'm sure lots of folks would be interested enough to sit down for an hour. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:42 PM

I'm still years away from an engine, so this definitely excites me. The timing could work out quite well. I fly (transport category) turboprops for a living, and would love to have an affordable turboprop hot-rod as a personal plane too.

Things like cabin heat will be worked out, I'm not too worried about no bleed air option, there are other ways to get the heat.
Fuselage assembly, it's a riveting job!
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 03-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswanson View Post
Lawn Chair Discussion? I'm not sure if or what they charge to host this, but you guys should see if you can get a forum slot. I'm sure lots of folks would be interested enough to sit down for an hour. Just my 2 cents.
I?m considering a forum slot as we have a lot of interest on other aircraft type forums as well. I?ve contacted the EAA but am awaiting a response.

Worst case, I can probably just say I?ll be at xxx at xx pm on the Wednesday and we can have an informal gathering i.e. the lawn chair get together.

Dave