What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport around Oklahoma City

Freebird

The wife and I are making a trip to Oklahoma City this Labor day weekend in our RV-7. Can anyone recommend an RV friendly airport in the area.

-Brian

It's been many years since I flew up there, but I visited several airports 'back in the day'. I've tied down at Westheimer in Norman & was happy, except when the tornado ate my Thorp.

I had a couple of homebuilder friends at Page, and a local EAA chapter met for breakfast (or lunch; I forget which) at Wiley Post. There was a glider operation at David Jay Perry, but that might be too far out if you're activities are in OKC.

It's a really big area. Unless things have changed radically, I'd pick the one reasonably close to your planned activities.

Charlie

Ponca city

Stopped in Ponca City for gas on my way to snf. Nice airport but don?t remember anything special. Good gas price

I live in Norman, less than 5 miles from KOUN (Westheimer). What are your plans while you're here? Knowing where you want to be will inform a recommendation.

My wife briefly lived in Oklahoma City a few years back. We were just coming to visit, planned on getting a car or uber and staying in the bricktown area.

-Brian

Wiley Post, KPWA, would probably be most convenient for you (since 2DT closed and has been turned into a concert venue). It's very close to the Northwest Expressway, which will give you good access to anything else you want to visit. There's lots of activity there, including several warbirds. Sundance, KHSD, is several miles further out of town (to the point that you might have trouble getting a cab), and Norman--though right off of I-35--will be further away, and traffic can be a mess getting through the I-240 and I-40 interchanges. David Jay Perry, 1K4, is in Goldsby, several miles south of Norman, and is KOUN's equivalent to Sundance/Wiley Post. I don't know about the car rental situation at KPWA, but one of the local dealers has an arrangement to provide rentals at KOUN, and I believe will meet you at the terminal. Call the FBO for details.

KPWA and KOUN both have restaurants in the terminal; I like Westheimer's restaurant, Ozzie's, better (and they have all-you-can-eat catfish on Friday nights). I haven't been to KPWA's Annie Okie's Runway Cafe in years. Ponca City has a good Mexican place called Enrique's, but coming from Alabama, it's not exactly on your way (though at RV speeds, it's not that much of a detour); if you do that, call and get their hours first, as they close at odd times (ask me how I know!).

Does that help? Anything else I can answer?

Edited to add: there's an OU football game at home on Saturday at 1100 local, so expect road traffic to be an unholy mess all day, save for the time actually during the game. If you plan to arrive Saturday, don't even think about Westheimer. You'll regret it if you do.

Last edited:
Agree with KHSD, Sundance Airport. I've been in there a couple of times. Extremely GA friendly and helpful staff.

KHSD is the place to go. Very friendly, cheap gas, no fees, free land rover courtesy cars. Probably my favorite airport I have ever visited.

Jeff

Sundance KHSD is the place to go. One of the nicest looking FBO's I've ever been to, cheapest 100LL around, no fees, and very GA friendly. Home to EAA chapter 24 and several RV owners on field. Full maintenance available, Land Rover courtesy cars. 30-40 minutes from downtown. More GA over at Wiley Post but even most of them fly the 5 minutes to get gas at Sundance. They have a facebook page and post current fuel prices. I had a hangar there but sold it and the Cessna to fund the 14. If you are really daring there is Will Rogers. I have a friend parked there under an overhang with a money. They have fees but have yet to ever charge him and its the closest you will get to downtown.

Sundance it is. If you see a Red RV-7 out there come say hi. I appreciate all the good advice from everyone.

-Brian

Good choice! You might call ahead and see if they?ll park your RV in a hanger over the weekend. Like everyone has said, this is probably the best and most friendly airport/FBO around. They?re always supporting our local EAA Chapter events.

How did the trip go. Would love to hear your experience with KHSD and I hope they lived up to my recommendation.

Just got back from the trip to Sundance. That was a great recommendation, I would say the nicest FBO I have ever been too. Great staff that was very helpful including driving me around the field to look for my hat quickly departed when I opened the canopy in Oklahoma winds.

Just got back from the trip to Sundance. That was a great recommendation, I would say the nicest FBO I have ever been too. Great staff that was very helpful including driving me around the field to look for my hat quickly departed when I opened the canopy in Oklahoma winds.

If the wind ever stops blowing out there, the people fall over.

We were in Seminole back in June for a funeral. I love my Oklahoma in-laws! What a great bunch of people!

Last edited:
Back