What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Wheels

FlyHigh

Hello Everyone, New to the Forum and unsure if this is the correct platform for this question.... Who's wheels and brakes are recommended or used on a new 8 build ?
I really wanted Grove gear, but, that is not going to happen. I would like to use Cleveland wheels & brakes due to parts and they are so common. It seems that some folks are leaning towards Beringer. Also unsure how long Grove will supply parts as they pulled the plug on their gear. Right now, I will probably go SkyDesigns gear, but, unsure if Cleveland axles and wheel pants fit them. Any insight or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Wondering what you mean by “Grove …. pulled the plug on their gear.” I was just by the factory a few days ago and everyone was working.

The Sky Designs aluminum airfoil landing gear for RV-8 uses the "Type 1" axle attach pattern (same as the standard steel landing gear). The standard axle will fit Grove, Matco, or Cleveland wheels & brakes.

Sky Designs gear legs are compatible with the standard wheel fairings or, of course, our own carbon fiber wheel fairings.

Feel free to contact us if you have further questions about aluminum airfoil gear legs.

I've had both the Cleaveland and Grove wheels/calipers on my RV6. They are interchangeable.

Personally I like the Grove's quality better than the Cleavelands. I haven't tried the Berringer brakes as I think they're too expensive and I'm cheap.

Since the Grove gear isn't in production anymore, Ken's gear is what you want. Nice piece of kit. Like he said, you can use any of the brake packages with it. It's what I'm planning on when I get there on my RV8 build.

Laird

Thanks LAIRD & SkyDesigns...Helped alot.
I can attest that Berringer wheels and brakes are nice as that is who Pilatus uses. Very Quality, but, yes expensive. I just thought Cleveland since I am comfortable that they will probably be around for awhile and parts should be available for some time.

By "Pulled the Plug" I meant that Grove no longer makes or provides gear legs for the 8. They still make them for other models. If they decide to do the same with their wheels, then where are we ? I am looking for options.

Back