What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing Out Screws On Switches/Breakers

HFS

Well Known Member
On your switches/circuit breakers, if you are using ring type terminals instead of the blade variety, this might be a "tip" of interest to you. Many of you may already be using this "mod" - but if not, here goes:

If you have wired up switches/circuit breakers with screw type terminals, as opposed to the push on "blade" type; and, you are using ring terminals instead of blade, you know how difficult it can be (sometimes) to start the small 6-32 screws back into the terminal spade with the captured ring terminal attached. Especially problematic when doing it upside down & overhead under the instrument panel.

What I do instead is to change out all of these screws and replace them with SS socket head Allen screws. By using a "square" head Allen wrench, as opposed to the "rounded" Bondus type; and, a shortened, dedicated, square end 7/64" wrench, which effectively captures the socket screw, you can easily start it into the switch spade.

There's probably something wrong with this idea - but I haven't found it yet.

HFS

Attachments

• Switch (Toggle) - Sockethead Allen Screw Mod.jpg
    Switch (Toggle) - Sockethead Allen Screw Mod.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 262
Darn...now you tell me ;)

Sounds like a good idea. Didn't realize these were 6-32, good to know.
What size and were did you get that trick Allen wrench?

Screws

There is a variety of other helpful tools for this. Hex head adapter for 1/4" drive adapter. Knurled round ratchet about 1 1/2" diameter. Stubby 1/4" drive ratchet.

There is a reason the switch came with brass screws.... but De-Ox may help in this situation.

Where Did I Get My "Stuff"

The socket head Allen screws (stainless steel) came from McMaster-Carr. But any good fastener house would have them. If you desire brass replacements - they are available as well.

The Allen wrenches I make myself, ranging in size from .050 up to 3/16 - and basically use them as a "starter" wrench in tight places. They will hold on to a socket head screw very well because of their squared off tip.

YMMV - and neither one of these things may even matter?

HFS

Like an idiot i am

Like the idiot i am, i didnt leave enough space between the breakers to get the allen screws in and out. But I was smart enough to put the breakers next to the gdu 460 mfd so that they are easy to access whn the mfd is removed.

Lock washers missing?
Also need to be careful on CB's that the screw is not too long, Klixon uses a very short screw.

Last edited:
Missing Lock Washers

Walt -

This "demo" was informational only - in practice, there would of course, be ss lock washers (I probably still have a couple of hundred in stock from the last build).

But thanks for pointing that out, so as not to give the wrong impression.

HFS

Back