What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LEMO pros/cons?

Well Known Member
Anyone have an opinion on LEMO vs. standard headset jacks? The headsets I have now for my Mooney are all standard, but I could be convinced to switch/adapt to LEMO in the RV-10 if the benefits were significant enough.

Do people typically go LEMO only, or do both styles for compatiblity with passengers who have their own headsets already?

LEMO connectors

I originally wired mine for standard plugs. But later added LEMO plugs in parallel, after purchasing LEMO compatible headset. Biggest advantage ===>>> NO BATTERIES...EVER.

My headsets stay with the plane, and are available for guest use. But, if anyone does have a favorite two plug headset, it will work fine. (Batteries are on them of course. ;) ).

Headsets with LEMO plugs are great because you never need to worry about batteries. But, lots of people have their own headsets with standard GA plugs, so I wouldn't consider installing LEMO receptacles without also installing standard mic/phone jacks. Easy enough to wire them in parallel during construction:

20090510_jacks1.jpg
20090510_jacks2.jpg

Anyone have an opinion on LEMO vs. standard headset jacks? The headsets I have now for my Mooney are all standard, but I could be convinced to switch/adapt to LEMO in the RV-10 if the benefits were significant enough.

Do people typically go LEMO only, or do both styles for compatiblity with passengers who have their own headsets already?

I wired for both at all four headset locations. It’s worked out really well for the last ten years. You never know when somebody wants to use their headset.

Or buy an adaptor

I wired 6pin only, if someone wants to use non-powered headsets, I have an adaptor in the glovebox. 6 to regular is an easier adaptor than the other way around since you don't have to conjure power.

Gave me a cleaner look, and fewer unshielded connections to pick up noise or fail.

Like the others, I hate finding dead batteries when I want to fly.

Derek

Is there a standard way to wire for both LEMO and dual plug? Are they simply tied together at the station, or do you need separate runs for LEMO and dual all the way back to the audio panel?

No more batteries - ever. I put them in all three airplanes and they will go in my -10 as well.

LEMO and dual plug wiring

Is there a standard way to wire for both LEMO and dual plug? Are they simply tied together at the station, or do you need separate runs for LEMO and dual all the way back to the audio panel?

I simply wired the phone and mic leads in parallel on each headset connection location.

Lemo headsets locks you into 'your' aircraft unless you keep a separate adapter handy ($59 ea), I use my headsets in various capacities, every plane has standard dual plugs.

Battery life is such that I tend to just install new ones occasionally, never had batteries go dead.
Batteries are simple, cheap and dependable so why pay more for Lemo's? $100 just for the connectors buys quite a few AA's.

Last edited:
I put in both (bought the "raw" connectors off Digikey and soldered them myself, saving a little $$$), and bought some LEMO headsets when I ran across a good deal. I liked the idea of ship's power to run the ANR, especially having killed more than a couple 9V batteries in Dad's headsets forgetting to turn off the ANR after a flight :eek:

I did buy an adapter and rechargeable 9V batteries to test/use in his plane but in general that's just one more thing to keep track of.

Do you happen to have the Digikey part#/SKU - I looked at the pre-wired Bose versions and the cost made me gulp but happy to wire up my own. Want to be sure I get the right sockets.

Robert

This one?

So it looks like it is powered from 14V aircraft, but yet my old style uses 2x AA. So i have to buy a LEMO headset???

Attachments

• LEMO.PNG
    LEMO.PNG
    106.4 KB · Views: 168
I really have nothing else to add that others have not said.

I flew for years without LEMO plugs. Batteries were fine. Had a Lightspeed trade up headset that they no longer offer. (I think it was a Zulu PFX or something like that pushing the state of the art too far.) It had been back for repair 3 times for issues that had ANR drop outs the first year of ownership. I really wanted to like that headset but it went though AA batteries too fast. I finally added LEMO jacks to the airplane and wish I had LEMO jacks years ago. I even sent it to Lightspeed a 4th time and paid to convert it to LEMO plug. I finally got rid of all my Lightspeed headsets and switched to Bose. The Lightspeed headset with LEMO plug that I had required a special battery power supply if I wanted to use it in a typical two jack aircraft. The Bose did not require anything other than an adapter cable and the installation of batteries in the control box.

IF my aircraft (new build) only had LEMO plugs, I would have an adapter cable that converts to the two plug GA type headsets. Future headsets that I acquire will have LEMO plugs and I will also get an adapter cable so that I can use the headset in other GA aircraft that have the stand two jack setup. Any LEMO headset I aquire will be required to not need a special battery pack to use with the GA two plug adapter. Before I dropped owning Lightspeed headsets, they required a special power battery box for their LEMO headsets to work with standard GA plugs. They also had the mic on one side only and could not be swapped to the opposite side like many of the other ANR headsets.

I purchased LEMO jacks for my RV-8 project from Mouser or DigiKey a few years ago. I know how to solder and the jacks cost less than the Bose jack that have wire already soldered on to the jack.

Since my RV-12 was E-LSA, it was necessary to build it per-plans.. so it has the legacy jacks. However, they also had diagramed the LEMO option, which I added as well.

I've used both jacks and I prefer LEMO. The battery/power wasn't the driving force for my preference because during my testing, my batteries didn't die -- so it wasn't an inconvenience that I experienced. What I did experience was the "scratchiness" of the legacy plugs.. or bad connections .. and you'd need to rotate them.

For $100, you can outfit your 4-seat RV-10. Just buy the LEMO part here and do your own soldering per Bose schematics. You'll have to buy 2-wire and 3-wire tefzel anyway for wiring your plane.. so the only extra cost is the connectors..

Limo's

And it only takes one time when your batteries die, and you would give anything to get your noise reduction back, (been their) especially as we get older, and our hearing only goes downhill. The Limo headsets also automatically turn on and off as power is applied and turned off. How many times have I had my limo headsets (used in a non-limo airframe with an adapter) not turn on because I thought they would do so automatically? (Sorry having a hard time hearing you) Install the Limo's, keep Limo headsets in your plane and I will guarantee you not one passenger or co-pilot will ask to plug their non-limo headset in. 10 years from now their will not be non-limo GA headsets installed in our airframes.

10 years from now their will not be non-limo GA headsets installed in our airframes.

I think that in 10 years from now we won’t have LEMO plugs either, because we’ll be wireless. Of course the ANR capability will be battery powered - like the battery in my ELT indicator that lasts 10 years.

I'm spoiled.
I have a half dozen old headsets with a couple of them the old dual plug battery ANR.
When I put in a new Dynon panel last year I added a couple new Lemo A20's.
I'm never going back.
Plumbed the plane for both systems.
Like the fact of deplaning and just hanging the headset up and not worrying about the batteries going dead.
I to have been victim of dead ANR batteries and searching the flight bag only to find more dead batteries. Somebody forgot to put more new ones in there. Guess who? ME. I do not care that the A20's cost a thousand dollars each. Closed my eyes and pressed the enter button.
Just like I told my dentist last week.
Not going back. Thanks Bose for the system.
Art

And it only takes one time when your batteries die, and you would give anything to get your noise reduction back, (been their) especially as we get older, and our hearing only goes downhill. The Limo headsets also automatically turn on and off as power is applied and turned off. How many times have I had my limo headsets (used in a non-limo airframe with an adapter) not turn on because I thought they would do so automatically? (Sorry having a hard time hearing you) Install the Limo's, keep Limo headsets in your plane and I will guarantee you not one passenger or co-pilot will ask to plug their non-limo headset in. 10 years from now their will not be non-limo GA headsets installed in our airframes.

I just keep spare batteries in the plane. When I have to swap them out, I somehow manage to remember to put newly charged ones back in the plane, ready to use.

And 10 years? LOL! LEMO has been doing connectors since *1957*, and they've not cornered the market yet. :)

I figure this is one area where you should just do whatever the **** you want with your airplane, and ignore other options, sales hype, etc. Go for it! It ain't hurtin' nobody.

I just keep spare batteries in the plane. When I have to swap them out, I somehow manage to remember to put newly charged ones back in the plane, ready to use.

And 10 years? LOL! LEMO has been doing connectors since *1957*, and they've not cornered the market yet. :)

I figure this is one area where you should just do whatever the **** you want with your airplane, and ignore other options, sales hype, etc. Go for it! It ain't hurtin' nobody.

+1. There are some of us who have no choice, e.g., I do half my flying as a cfi with a local Club, and none of their aircraft have Lemo plugs. I haven’t found it hard to keep fresh batteries in seat pockets, knee-level pockets, in my flight bag, etc. I’ve also noticed that my (Lightspeed) headset does give some warning of battery failure: it starts blinking red (but still works) when the battery is getting near end-of-life.

+1. There are some of us who have no choice, e.g., I do half my flying as a cfi with a local Club, and none of their aircraft have Lemo plugs. I haven’t found it hard to keep fresh batteries in seat pockets, knee-level pockets, in my flight bag, etc. I’ve also noticed that my (Lightspeed) headset does give some warning of battery failure: it starts blinking red (but still works) when the battery is getting near end-of-life.

So do my Bose A20s...they start blinking amber, and I think at that point you've got an hour or two left.

So do my Bose A20s...they start blinking amber, and I think at that point you've got an hour or two left.

Yes, if you happen to notice the color change. The problem I have had was that when you first turn it on, it's green. Only have a bit of use does it change colors, and I just don't check it again after that. Lemo plugs solved the dead battery problem.

-Marc

LEMO all the way. More compact. Quicker connect/disconnect. No more battery issues. And one more item that I discovered. Most folks can't borrow your headset since they don't have the LEMO plugs in their aircraft.

Would I go with LEMO if given the chance? Yes. Do I want to spend $400 retrofitting the cords on my headsets? Nope.

I spent $25 on a 4-pack of rechargeable lithium AA batteries where the top pops off to reveal a USB-A plug to shove into your nearest phone charger. I get 10-15 hours on a charge, so as long as I'm topping them off every few weeks I'm good.

One major downside: you will get zero warning that they're running out of juice, as they use switched buck converters to bring the 3v down to nice, constant 1.4v. The battery LED indicator on your headset will be shining a bright green when the voltage on that little lithium cell drops below what the regulator circuitry can handle, at which point you'll hear the thud of ANC kicking off.
Because they're cheap products, the charging current is limited, which means 45-60 minutes for charging from empty to full.
Put a few extra alkaline batteries in the glovebox.

Bose specifically says to NOT use any battery chemistry other than NiCad. Their battery headsets are designed to use only NiCads and I've been told by them that the rechargeable batteries can damage the control box.

-Marc

I spent $25 on a 4-pack of rechargeable lithium AA batteries where the top pops off to reveal a USB-A plug to shove into your nearest phone charger. I get 10-15 hours on a charge, so as long as I'm topping them off every few weeks I'm good.

One major downside: you will get zero warning that they're running out of juice, as they use switched buck converters to bring the 3v down to nice, constant 1.4v. The battery LED indicator on your headset will be shining a bright green when the voltage on that little lithium cell drops below what the regulator circuitry can handle, at which point you'll hear the thud of ANC kicking off.
Because they're cheap products, the charging current is limited, which means 45-60 minutes for charging from empty to full.
Put a few extra alkaline batteries in the glovebox.

I think that in 10 years from now we won’t have LEMO plugs either, because we’ll be wireless. Of course the ANR capability will be battery powered - like the battery in my ELT indicator that lasts 10 years.
Your ELT battery lasts 10 years because it's (a) huge, and (b) never used.

Wireless headsets in an airplane are a gimmick. In light aircraft you never leave your seat in flight, so there's no reason to go wireless when the trade-off is batteries that need replacing or charging, and that add weight to something you have to carry on your neck.

Lightspeed Sierra - Wireless

Lightspeed produced the Sierra wireless headsets several years ago. I purchased two sets, had them configured for LEMO connection from the aircraft to control module.
That design permitted elimination of a battery for the control module and charging of a replacement battery for the headset. Seemed pretty good to me at the time.
With less than one year's use, and having the headset batteries die while in critical flight regime - pattern work, talking to ATC, etc. There was no way I could replace the battery and fly the airplane...
I've sold those headsets and use either Lightspeed Zulu III or Bose A20 in my LIFT helmet.

I don't believe wireless is going to be the magic solution for communications, and surely not for battery usage. The LEMO option - for me - was chosen after having to replace batteries more often than I liked. However, I am now "restricted" to only LEMO headsets in my aircraft.

I contacted Bose a few weeks ago about designing an adapter to permit Dual GA headsets to connect to a LEMO plug. Such an adapter doesn't exist as far as I know. Yes, there are adapters to convert LEMO headsets to GA Dual plugs, but that's so I can use my LEMO headsets in a "conventional" configured aircraft.

End of conversation is: Decide what makes most sense to you and be happy.

LEMO to GA Dual Adapter

Yes, that's the adapter that DOES exist. I can see, after reading my post above, I worded it incorrectly.
A pilot with GA Dual headsets can adapt to my LEMO configured aircraft. I, with my LEMO headsets, cannot adapt to their GA Dual configured aircraft.
Put the LEMO (female) connector on one end, and the GA Dual (male plugs) on the other, and you'll have what (as far as I know) does not exist.

Last edited:
WOW!

In all my searching - maybe I worded the search incorrectly - I never found such an adapter.
Thanks for that post! I'll have to order one or two to put in my kit bag.

Seems we LEMO vs GA Dual advocates have necessary adapters available, so it makes no difference which configuration we wire our aircraft. It's whatever fits our individual fancy. (Almost, but not quite to the same level as the primer wars.)

Bose specifically says to NOT use any battery chemistry other than NiCad. Their battery headsets are designed to use only NiCads and I've been told by them that the rechargeable batteries can damage the control box.

-Marc

The manual specifying alkaline AA batteries makes sense in context, as NiMH rechargeables output a nominally lower voltage (NiCads are even lower, and are toxic too), can make the power conversion circuitry work harder, and will not give you an accurate warning about how much energy is left as the voltage discharge curves are different between chemistries.

Rechargeable lithium-ion AA batteries wouldn't fall under this category, as they are tuned to always output the same voltage as a fully-charged alkaline battery. The step-down circuitry is built into the package – if you hook a multimeter up, it'll measure 1.5v constantly right up until it runs out of juice and drops to 0v. The downside is that you won't get as many watt-hours out of that package due to the efficiency loss of the buck converter and smaller physical battery cell.

Another advantage: you no longer have to worry about the electrolyte leaking out, corroding everything, and having to send $250 to Bose for a new control module.

Been using this ^^^^^ with my Bose A20 when I fly in other GA certificated aircraft. (can be purchased for a lot less if you shop around)

Got rid of my Lightspeed LEMO headset because it needed to use a battery pack like this VVVVV to be used in other GA certificated aircraft.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/pilotUSA32.php

11-03570.jpg

There's also this kind. A little clunkier than what mburch posted, but it has a space for a 9V battery to power the ANR. I have one and have tested it on the ground, at least.

Careful

Some ANR units require 4 AA's and MIGHT not work. Hangar mate tried and failed. Does look like a good idea especially if it auto off's. Batteries in my A-20 seem to last about 5 to 6 hours. (When used in other aircraft)

Batteries in my A-20 seem to last about 5 to 6 hours. (When used in other aircraft)

Are you talking A20s w/ GA plugs? That's *way* less than I get, and way way WAY less than the spec:

Alkaline battery life: At least 45 hours in typical general
aviation aircraft noise. Duration varies with battery age,
ambient noise levels, temperature, ear cushion seal, and
use of the Bluetooth feature.

Back